Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yeet so hard
680 Posts
Tear the cassette apart and use the ramped cog of your choosing (even though it wont be ideal), make spacers from pvc pipe and ride your bike

·
29er and 26er
685 Posts
You will need to determine if you have a freewheel or a freehub.

You can use this link to help determine which one you have: Freewheel or Cassette?

If you have a freewheel you are out of luck with that wheel. My next step would be to look on craigs list and find a rear wheel that has a freehub.

Good luck!

·
29er and 26er
685 Posts
The freehub is what I have but it is a different size diameter, it is larger than normal. The first 6 gears slide on like a normal cassette would, but gears 7 and 8 are fused together with internal threading in them, these gears screw onto the freehub body to clamp the cassette down. Is there anyway I can get the freehub replaced with the smaller correct size by taking the one I have off the hub?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I have no experience working on one of these. Could you please post a picture so we can see what you are talking about?

My suggestion would be to go get a new/used 26" rear wheel with the correct freehub. I got a nice lightly used set (Front/Rear) last year on craigs list for $50.00. You could check your local bike shop or bike co-op as well. Good luck.

Here is one on Amazon for $55.00 that looks like it would work for you: Amazon.com: Sta-Tru Silver Shimano Rm60 8-9-10 Speed Cassette Hub Rear Wheel (26X1.5-Inch): Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Tear the cassette apart and use the ramped cog of your choosing (even though it wont be ideal), make spacers from pvc pipe and ride your bike
This one is the best idea for using existing parts.

Another option is to buy another rear wheel with a Shimano HG -compatible freehub. They are readily available for affordable prices and your SS conversion kit will fit one of those.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
You could try and use one of the cassette cogs from the freewheel. It is not ideal (they appear to be ramped to aid in shifting), but would work until you can get another wheel. The cogs are likely held together with small screws with allen heads (on the back of the largest cog). You would have to use the two smaller cogs as your lockring since they are threaded. It will work until you get another wheel. It might work just fine this way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts