Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a specialized camber expert evo. So far I've been enjoying it a lot. Unfortunately on some long climbs I would wish i had easier gearing. Now i have a dilemma. Should I swap out my spider for an xx1 spider (or equivalent) and get a smaller xx1 chainring or should i get a narrow wide "non-official" ring like blackspire or raceface. I'm worried about getting the non-official rings, although they're cheaper, I fear they might ruin my chainline and shifting quality.

The camber comes with X01 drivetrain with a 32t with a 104bcd.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I would try the Race Face or Blackspire 30T first. It may push your chainline in a touch, but that should help shifting and wear on the bigger cogs. If that doesn't work, I'm sure you could sell the ring before dropping a lot on a XX1 Spider and ring.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, maybe I'll get blackspire 30t as it resembles more the sram chainring teeth profile. Does anybody now if I'll need longer chainring bolts?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
You might. I used the male bolts form a triple crank on my Race Face 30T. Shorter bolts will work, but they won't engage all of the threads in the chain ring.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, maybe I'll get blackspire 30t as it resembles more the sram chainring teeth profile. Does anybody now if I'll need longer chainring bolts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts