Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am looking for some ways to shave some weight off my 09 Demo 8 II. I have some ideas, but i want to hear what you guys think because I have not done all of my research yet, and I know alot of people on here are can really help me out with this, so here is the build, right now as it sits, it weighs in at 42.28lbs. I will also post some pictures up later just incase there i forgot anything, or if anyone notices anything i should change:

-09 Demo 8 II frame with Fox DHX 5.0 rear shock (possibly a Ti Spring?)
-09 Fox 40 RC2 Front fork
-Sunline Integrated Stem
-SRAM X.9 Shifter & Rear Derailleur (is X.0 worth it on a DH bike? i didnt think so, but you tell me)
-Specialized Demo Handlebars
-ODI Rogue Lock-On Grips
-Avid Code Front and Rear Brakes 203mm Rotors (possibly change to Elixirs?)
-Truvativ OCT Single Ring Crank
-Gamut Chainguide (E13 LG1?)
-Crank Bros Mallet Pedals
-Hope Pro II Hubs laced to Mavic 823 Rims with DT 14g Spokes (new Deemax or I9's?)
-Specialized S-Works Chunder 2.5 Tires Running Tubeless
-Thomson Elite Seatpost
-Hope QR Seatpost Clamp
-Specialized Enduro Seat
-SRAM PG-970 Cassette (durace or ultegra?)

Let me know, many thanks in advance!

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you offer some suggestions on what actual parts to buy?

What brakes?

What bars do you recommend, the demo bars came on my scale at 314g, i looked in the Scandium B52's but its only a 4g difference? I already have the Mag link because mine is the Demo 8 II frame, so I cant do too much there. i am considering the 2010 boxxer WC, and i know that would save a good bit of weight, but I will have to wait for march to even have a shot at getting one of those. I have a Ti Phenom saddle that could trim it down a bit...

·
Addicted
749 Posts
The OCT Holzfellers and Howitzer bottom bracket are a good chunk of weight. The OCT arms are light, but that bottom is a tank. Even switching to something like a Gravity Light would held to keep the weight down. It would be a better dollar to pound ratio atleast.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
switch rims to 5.1d's that saves you almost a pound. (- 314g)
Sunline V1 bars ( - 50g)
Boxxer Wc ( - 450g)
Sunline V1 seat, not sure what your seat weights but this one is 207 grams.
Gravity Light Crank set (~ - 200g)
Ti Spring ( - 200g)

That all will drop you almost 3 lbs, is it worth it...probably not considering how much it would cost you haha. Do you seriously think loosing 2-3 pounds on your bike is going to matter than much? What is everyone's obsession with getting a sub 40lb bike. If anything get the Ti spring so increase shock performance and get lighter rims (5.1d's)(best place to loose weight). That would cut your weight by around 500 to 600 grams which is 1.1 to 1.3 pounds.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
The things that stick out are your Handlebars, Bottom Bracket, Saddle, and if you're really picky, brakes.

Here's what I suggest:

Handlebars: Sunline V-1
Bottom Bracket/Cranks: The Holzfeller OCT cranks are light, but the Howitzer bottom bracket they use is incredibly heavy. Switch to Gravity Lights.
Saddle: Some roadie Saddle, maybe Sunline or SDG Ti-Fly.
Brakes: Codes are kind of heavy, if you feel you don't need to power you could sell them and get Juicy 7's and make a profit. The Juicies are a really light brake with a lot of power when setup correctly.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm a Demo 7 owner and here's where i'm upto on mods.

Elixir CR's and dropped to 185's, i can flip myself over the nose and lock the back with my pinky why would anybody need any more stopping power. Weight saved, about 150gms.

Binned the 1200gm chunder pro's, and throw on something in the 800gms range. I use Big Earl wets and Latex tubes, saved 2lbs of rotating mass and that makes a huge difference.

When the LBS gets them in stock i'll be dropping the Spesh wheels for the 09 Mavic Crossmax SX, thats another 1lb or rotating mass gone, and they are stronger wheels than the DT 540's that Spesh spec.

Swapped the Demo bar for an Easton Monkey Lite; maybe on the edge strength wise for serious DH, but i'm pretty light on my gear and have never snapped a bar before and i hammer the crap out of Santa Cruz Blur and that has an even lighter Easton bar on it.

Rear cassette, Stick the new XTR on it, that's another 200 gms for the 11-34.

And i dropped the SRAM mech and shifter, just because they are utter crap, and replaced it with XTR Shadow Short cage and XTR rapid fire instead.

At some point i'll do something with the cranks, and maybe even 2010's Boxxer WC on the front for another pound saved.

Mine is well under 40lbs at the minute and i think i can hit 35lbs with it, which will make it an all day bike, with no need to push up the hill.

Start with the wheels...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
sq225917 said:
I'm a Demo 7 owner and here's where i'm upto on mods.

Elixir CR's and dropped to 185's, i can flip myself over the nose and lock the back with my pinky why would anybody need any more stopping power. Weight saved, about 150gms.

Binned the 1200gm chunder pro's, and throw on something in the 800gms range. I use Big Earl wets and Latex tubes, saved 2lbs of rotating mass and that makes a huge difference.

When the LBS gets them in stock i'll be dropping the Spesh wheels for the 09 Mavic Crossmax SX, thats another 1lb or rotating mass gone, and they are stronger wheels than the DT 540's that Spesh spec.

Swapped the Demo bar for an Easton Monkey Lite; maybe on the edge strength wise for serious DH, but i'm pretty light on my gear and have never snapped a bar before and i hammer the crap out of Santa Cruz Blur and that has an even lighter Easton bar on it.

Rear cassette, Stick the new XTR on it, that's another 200 gms for the 11-34.

And i dropped the SRAM mech and shifter, just because they are utter crap, and replaced it with XTR Shadow Short cage and XTR rapid fire instead.

At some point i'll do something with the cranks, and maybe even 2010's Boxxer WC on the front for another pound saved.

Mine is well under 40lbs at the minute and i think i can hit 35lbs with it, which will make it an all day bike, with no need to push up the hill.

Start with the wheels...
Can we see a pic of this super light Demo?

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
Didn't the Decline team run XT's with LG-1s on their Demo 8 last year? I'd run XT's over Gravity Lite's any day.
The Elixir CR or R over the Code's in a great choice. I made the swap and couldn't be happier.
I wouldn't touch the 5.1 rims, nor would I run single ply tires. 823's gone tubeless is a fairly light set anyways.
Wellgo MG1s are very light, and inexpensive. Edit, just noticed you're running Mallets, I don't know of any super light SPD pedals.
Along with the obvious, like a Ti spring, lighter saddle (Sunline, Ti-Fly), lighter cassette (Dura-ace if you wanna drop the dough), you could do some smaller inexpensive things, like an E.13 guide ring, and even get a non-QR seat clamp.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i'm on the road at the minute, so all i have is an oldie on my laptop from a couple of weeks ago, this is just with the brakes and the tyre/tubes done.

I'll shoot a new one new week, hopefully the LBS will have the wheels by then.

Big Red is what normally lives downstairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Ti spring, Keep the codes. Buy a Deity Dirty 30 bar (I want to say they're around 260 grams). Buy Dark cycles Arashnid pedals or Deity pedals and save about 30-40 grams, Xt crank/bb will save you a ton of weight. Throw a Specialized Phenom saddle on the bike. Switch to 2.3's all around with the front being the new SX casing (also buy the new Clutch tire it grips like mad). Lighter wheels. I hope you have a Thomspn seatpost.

That'll get her close without having to swap forks.

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, here are some pictures of how it sits now, after looking at my cranks, they are NOT the OCT's, so I could swap those out and save some weight (how much over the NON-OCT cranks would I save?), i have been told by CountryBoy that there is a driveline issue if I used another crank like the saint or an XT. I swapped out my saddle today, that shaved 102g from the bike, i guess i could cut my longer seatpost down a bit, and go to a single bolt seatpost clamp to shave a few g's but that will be very minimal.

The Carbon FSA Gravity Bars would save around 100g also i see, so i might look into one of those.

The Ti Spring seems like something everyone is saying to do, and I got my spring rate right, so I guess i should do that.

XTR Cassette? I think i would rather stay with something like a Dura-Ace or Ultegra as i would never need a 32T gear where i ride.

I might actually consider getting the Crossmax SX's as a "race day" wheel choice, or for the more mellow lift days at 7 Springs, and keep the Hope/823's for every day riding, the only thing that concerns me about them is that they have a QR for the rear axle, would i loose some of the stiffness in the rear end of the bike compared to the 10mm nutted axle i current have?

I do want to keep the tires tubeless, and I REALLY enjoy the chunders...I dont want to go for single ply tire, but maybe dropping to 2.3's or going to one of the Maxxis UST offerings could shave some rotating weight.

I am considering going to Elixars, but I am not quite sure about that yet, i REALLY like the power of the Codes, it just nice to know they are there, at 7 springs they are overkill for sure, but at snowshoe, i love them. Either way I would want to stay with a 203 rotor up front and in the rear.

Spandex.....lol.....only for the XC training days!! And even then i am not a fan!

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
really you can do a lot of things, but how much do you want to spend??

new ti spring 200 to 250 bucks
new XT cranks 350 bucks
new ti/mag pedal 200 to 250 bucks

how much realistically you want to spend

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.