Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally stock with Crank Bros 5050xx pedals (558g) it is at 29.5 lbs. I'd like to see it get to 22-24 lbs and still be durable as hell. I know the frame is pretty light so...Here are the stock components:

----------
Main frame Platinum Series ZR9000 internally and externally butted aluminum
Fork RockShox Tora 318 Air / Alloy Steerer | 100mm travel | Motion Control
Headset Aheadset | Semi-cartridge | Sealed
Bottom bracket TruVativ ISIS GigaPipe
Crank Bontrager Select 44/32/22
Pedals Shimano M505 ATB clipless
Front derailleur Shimano M-580 LX
Rear derailleur Shimano M-571 LX
Shifters Shimano M-570 LX
Cassette SRAM PG950 | 11-34 | 9spd
Chain Shimano HG73
Front hub Shimano M525 disc
Front rim Bontrager Ranger Disc
Front spokes 15G DT Champion Stainless Steel
Rear hub Shimano M525 Disc
Rear rim Bontrager Ranger Disc
Rear spokes 15G DT Champion Stainless Steel
Front Tire Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.25
Rear tire Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.2
Front brake Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic disc | 6" rotor
Rear brake Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic disc | 6" rotor
Brake levers Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic disc
Handlebar Bontrager Crowbar Select OS
Stem Bontrager Select OS | 7d rise
Grips Bontrager Dual Density
Saddle Bontrager Select ATB
Seatpost Bontrager Select
----------

Here's what I have acquired so far (not installed, but purchased):

FSA Team Isis Crankset
American Classic BB
FSA XC-115 Stem

I know the wheels/tires/ect is the place to upgrade first, but I'm just getting stuff on sale as it comes along.

Here is what I'm planning on getting:

Chris King hubs/Mavic 717 Wheels/lighter cassette (probably XT)
Lighter Tires/Innertubes (???)
KCNC Ti/Scandium seatpost
WTB Devo Carbon/Ti saddle
Race Face Next SL straight bar
Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium pedals (I know clipless would be lighter but I prefer flats for now)
...and a lighter fork at some point, probably a Reba or R7

Is 22-24 lbs reasonable to anticipate with those upgrades? Anything you guys would do different? What about light Tires/Innertubes - I ride Northern California, it can be wet or dry, mostly on dirt with moderate rocks, etc. Light but durable is best, even if I have to sacrifice a few grams...

Thanks,
Another WW victim... :rolleyes: :D
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
0 Posts
Tires and tubes are usually a good place, wheels in general, to lose weight since it's most noticable there when riding. If you have a small frame on your bike, maybe 24lbs without breaking the bank is possible. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
mopartodd said:
Tires and tubes are usually a good place, wheels in general, to lose weight since it's most noticable there when riding. If you have a small frame on your bike, maybe 24lbs without breaking the bank is possible. Good luck.
Yeah, tubeless may be a good place to start with you
 

·
bike dork extraordinaire
Joined
·
628 Posts
Tag1 said:
Totally stock with Crank Bros 5050xx pedals (558g) it is at 29.5 lbs. I'd like to see it get to 22-24 lbs and still be durable as hell. I know the frame is pretty light so...Here are the stock components:

----------
Main frame Platinum Series ZR9000 internally and externally butted aluminum
Fork RockShox Tora 318 Air / Alloy Steerer | 100mm travel | Motion Control
Headset Aheadset | Semi-cartridge | Sealed
Bottom bracket TruVativ ISIS GigaPipe
Crank Bontrager Select 44/32/22
Pedals Shimano M505 ATB clipless
Front derailleur Shimano M-580 LX
Rear derailleur Shimano M-571 LX
Shifters Shimano M-570 LX
Cassette SRAM PG950 | 11-34 | 9spd
Chain Shimano HG73
Front hub Shimano M525 disc
Front rim Bontrager Ranger Disc
Front spokes 15G DT Champion Stainless Steel
Rear hub Shimano M525 Disc
Rear rim Bontrager Ranger Disc
Rear spokes 15G DT Champion Stainless Steel
Front Tire Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.25
Rear tire Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.2
Front brake Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic disc | 6" rotor
Rear brake Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic disc | 6" rotor
Brake levers Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic disc
Handlebar Bontrager Crowbar Select OS
Stem Bontrager Select OS | 7d rise
Grips Bontrager Dual Density
Saddle Bontrager Select ATB
Seatpost Bontrager Select
----------

Here's what I have acquired so far (not installed, but purchased):

FSA Team Isis Crankset
American Classic BB
FSA XC-115 Stem

I know the wheels/tires/ect is the place to upgrade first, but I'm just getting stuff on sale as it comes along.

Here is what I'm planning on getting:

Chris King hubs/Mavic 717 Wheels/lighter cassette (probably XT)
Lighter Tires/Innertubes (???)
KCNC Ti/Scandium seatpost
WTB Devo Carbon/Ti saddle
Race Face Next SL straight bar
Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium pedals (I know clipless would be lighter but I prefer flats for now)
...and a lighter fork at some point, probably a Reba or R7

Is 22-24 lbs reasonable to anticipate with those upgrades? Anything you guys would do different? What about light Tires/Innertubes - I ride Northern California, it can be wet or dry, mostly on dirt with moderate rocks, etc. Light but durable is best, even if I have to sacrifice a few grams...

Thanks,
Another WW victim... :rolleyes: :D
By the time you get it that light, you've probably spent more money than a brand new lightweight bike would cost, one with a much nicer frame. I'd keep the fisher as a spare winter bike and spend the $$$ on something where the frame matches the parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
Well, my ziggurat weighs in at about 24 lbs (medium) on a scale that may be a off by a half pound or so. so maybe 23.5. So you can probably look up the specs at fishers site and kind of gauage from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sirkrameroy said:
By the time you get it that light, you've probably spent more money than a brand new lightweight bike would cost, one with a much nicer frame. I'd keep the fisher as a spare winter bike and spend the $$$ on something where the frame matches the parts.
Like what? The Fisher may not be the lightest, but it's far from the heaviest. In fact I haven't weighed the frame, but I talked to a guy who said his buddies zr9000 frame was only a tad bit heavier than a similiarly sized carbon frame...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fanghasyou said:
Well, my ziggurat weighs in at about 24 lbs (medium) on a scale that may be a off by a half pound or so. so maybe 23.5. So you can probably look up the specs at fishers site and kind of gauage from there.
Sweet bike! Unless I'm mistaken the frame's pretty much the same with the addition of carbon seat/chain stays. I wonder how much weight that takes off....
 

·
bike dork extraordinaire
Joined
·
628 Posts
Tag1 said:
Like what? The Fisher may not be the lightest, but it's far from the heaviest. In fact I haven't weighed the frame, but I talked to a guy who said his buddies zr9000 frame was only a tad bit heavier than a similiarly sized carbon frame...
That may be true, but it's still a mid-priced, mass-produced frame that you'd be hanging some pricey parts on. I'd rather spend the money for a complete bike that has a top level frame and perhaps slightly cheaper parts, than a cheaper frame that has been pimped with exotic parts. For example, you can get a Jamis Dragon Pro for $2100, which has a nice Reynolds 853 frame that has a great ride, and weighs 25 lbs stock. Or, if carbon is your thing, you can get a Scott Scale 30 for $2650 that weighs 23.5 lbs stock. Plus, you'll still have your fisher handy as a backup bike or when the weather gets nasty. Just my $.02.
 

·
mtbr member
Joined
·
454 Posts
I guess you may keep the following:

frame (probably under 1500 g for size Medium, not bad)
front derailleur
shifters
gear wires
chain
rims

I you are serious about this, how about getting a digital 1g/2000g scale, necessary tools, and take an evening to weigh everything. May save you money and time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
sirkrameroy said:
That may be true, but it's still a mid-priced, mass-produced frame that you'd be hanging some pricey parts on....
So even thought it's light, it's not "nice" enough because it's "mid-priced" and "mass-produced"? You sound like maybe you're only all about having the coolest, boutiquest, high-end bike to show off on the trail...I like this frame a lot actually. It rides great. I would like to ride a couple of the light steel frames out there before I get too involved in this project, but I don't mind that a few other people somewhere have the same frame as me, so I guess I'm ok. :thumbsup:

Pay Here said:
Its your ride..All that matters is what you want..
Thanks for the encouragement. :cool:

anden said:
I you are serious about this, how about getting a digital 1g/2000g scale, necessary tools, and take an evening to weigh everything. May save you money and time.
Thanks for the advice - I guess if I'm going to do this right, I'll have to do that. Turns out the wife has a gram scale in the kitchen...It'll be nice to know for sure what my frame weighs, along with everything else...
 

·
illuminator82
Joined
·
251 Posts
well i believe you have a darn nice

bike!
look that frame has been ridden by some of the best mtb racers in the world. ridden in and won the World Championship (Not Norba) in 99 with Rasmussan riding. so dont let anyone tell you that frame is not good enough. it is light, around 3lbs for a medium, solid, durable, flex free and has room for real tires....i have a 98 paragon built up with a sid world cup, and a dt 240 wheelset. the bad boy comes in around 22lbs. never had a mechanical and it has stx shifters, avid v brakes and and lx front der and xt rear. 8 speed with xtr Ti cassette.

your frame is good enough and so is the bike, just ride, race and have fun. add a part here and there as you go... just my lousy 2cents
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top