Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm new to the mtb world, but not to riding. Looking for the proverbial "do-it-all" bike.

Right now I'm in Florida, but in the next year I'll be up in Washington (State, not DC.) I figured an AM set-up would allow me to do as much as possible coast to coast. I'm about 210 lbs so I figured a XC bike would be pretty abused doing any bigger drops/jumps.

So where do I go from here? I'm pretty limited to the $700-$800 range. Here's what I'm looking at so far

Ibex Trophy Comp X7
07 Jamis Komodo 3.0
Specialized Rockhopper Disc
Trek 6000

What else should I be looking at and what other considerations should I keep in mind?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Welcome to the Forums

Hey Chuck. You need to do a little more research. 3 of the 4 bikes you have mentioned are typical XC type bikes and won't be good for the abuse you'll be putting them through if you intend to ride them aggressively, especially at your weight. The Jamis Komodo is the only one of the three built to withstand the rigors of more aggressive riding.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I kinda figured as much. Just trying to explore all of my options. I'm not planning to get too crazy with the cheese whiz until I get back up to Washington and I'm not adverse to upgrading components as I go. What other options do I have in that price range other than building something from the frame up?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Check the first thread in All Mountain Forum

It's a thread about hardtails. You'll see plenty of AM worthy hardtail bikes in that thread, and it should give you an idea of what you can buy right off the LBS showroom floor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Revised Thoughts...

Alright, well it turns out that the +/- $700 is pretty stacked with options that are available at some LBS.

Kona Blast
Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc
Haro Escape Sport
GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc

Any thoughts on those? Any other options along these lines in this price range? I really do like the 07 Komodo 3.0 from Jenson USA, but at $875 without the build + shipping it does start to push out of my price range.

·
Dirty High Desert Guy
58 Posts
chuckboobs said:
I really do like the 07 Komodo 3.0 from Jenson USA, but at $875 without the build + shipping it does start to push out of my price range
Jenson regularly has pretty decent sales so you might be able to save some cash. You might also try doing a Google search for "Jenson Coupon Code"

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm not going to suggest a bike in particular, but rather give you some pointers. I live in Abbotsford, which is about 40 mins north of Bellingham (if you know where that is). The terrain around here is ridable on your typical XC bike, but is more fun on something a little slacker. I would look for a bike with a 130mm (5 inch) fork and 69 degree head tube angle, versus the 71 of a true XC bike. Also look for something with a sloping top tube, that wll help prevent knackering the boys.

-mike-

See the hardtail thread stickied at the top that I started. There alot of good AM HT's in there, as well as some poor examples...but I didn't say that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jetta_mike said:
There alot of good AM HT's in there, as well as some poor examples...but I didn't say that.
Yeah, I know exactly where Bellingham is. That line right above is what was giving me some trouble. There are plenty of bad ass HT's in there, but there are also a good deal of XC's and some franken-bikes that I don't know how I would feel beating on.

Thanks for the geometry suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after comparing complete bikes in that price range, I decided that most of the components are less than stellar. But then again, it could just be the price range I'm looking in...

So I decided to cough up the extra $200 and go for the 07 Jamis Komodo 3.0 due to the killer components. But alas.... 18.5" is sold out...

Back to square one. I guess right now the top contender is the Escape Sport, although there are quite a few terror stories about the cranks. Which at 200lbs+ becomes a concern...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey chuck im building up a komodo right now and i know its at the edge of your pricepoint but its worth it they are good solid frames. also there more harder xc but the Q series of felts have a solid frame... i would replace the front fork before i do any serious drops though seeing as how its a dart fork which is beginner material but its a good start for a bike also check out a gt chucker1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was all about jumping on the Komodo band wagon. Just sucks that Jenson is out of my size. I can't find anyone else stocking them, in my size, especially at that ohh so kick ass price...sigh...

Thanks for pointing out the Chucker.

The components look relatively comparable between the Chucker and the Escape Sport with the edge going to the Escape's fork, or is it the Chucker's brakes?...damn I'm ignorant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.