Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I was looking for a hitch rack and had found one that "swivel" to the side of the car so you can easily get access to the trunk. I finally bought a roof rack because it was less expensive but after a bad experience (bike flew off on the highway!!!), I am now back in the market for a hitch rack. Since I have a CRV with a side opening rear door, I would really like to find this side swivel hitch rack. Hopefully it is still being produced. Thanks.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Yakima makes one of the best I've seen. We have one at the shop on a display rack, but I can't recall the exact name of the thing...not at the shop yet. It's pretty pricey, around $400 if I recall, but it's made like a tank...has to be to maintain rigidity and be able to swivel. I would, however, think that this rack might require a 2" receiver. Is a 2" receiver available for a CRV? This rack should be listed on the Yak website for more details.

Banz, I have dutch doors on the pickup camper on my S10 pickup, so I have to be able to move my rack to access the doors. My Thule/Sportworks T2 has a nice release handle that drops the rack at an angle that allows me to access the doors with a Bullit and Nomad on the rack. I even sleep in the back of the camper with bikes on the rack in the dropped position. The retaining arms hold the bikes without undue stress on the bikes or rack while the rack is tilted. I don't know if this would work for you. The T2 is available in the smaller receiver size.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about this one TNC?

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=30

If so the "swing-away" concept is what I meant but I thought there was one similar to this but with rails instead top tube attachment...

I don't have a receiver yet so I'll install whatever is needed by the bike rack and I specifically don't want one the folds down, I want the thing out of my way when I access the back of the car or I get impatient! :)

cheers

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Yeah, that's the one, and it only fits a 2" receiver. You know what?...I was initially thinking "CRX", or whatever that little Honda sports model was. Isn't the CRV a medium sized SUV or such? If so, a 2" receiver hitch may indeed be available. I've not seen a swing-away model of any brand that uses trays, but one may exist. Banz, be very careful buying one of these. The swing-away design requires some good engineering and beefy construction or they absoulutely fall apart...or work horribly. We've sold a few of these Yaks, and they are a dream to use and built like a brick sh!t house. Whatever you get, make sure it meets your commonly known high standards.:D A cheap, poor quality model will be a nightmare. That pivoting system these swing-away designs use are almost as important as the pivot design on your Nomad.:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just bought one last night at bicycle village in Littleton (Wadsworth) over by the mall. They have yakima and thule all 20% off of their racks. I got the yakima 4 bike swing one. The total after discount was $302. The only thing I liked better about the thule was that it has a locking cable built in and the arms that hold the bikes fold down when not in use. They didn't have any of those in stock, so I went with the yakima. I used it this morning and it works great.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
That Yak has the internal locking cable option. The last we sold had it installed. It is a neat convenience feature. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong model, though? I can't keep all these models straight. The one in Banz's link has the locking cable, but I see it's a "Full Swing" instead of a Swing One...but I thought that lock cable option was an option for most of the Yak line.

·
Registered
101 Posts
TNC said:
That Yak has the internal locking cable option. The last we sold had it installed. It is a neat convenience feature. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong model, though? I can't keep all these models straight. The one in Banz's link has the locking cable, but I see it's a "Full Swing" instead of a Swing One...but I thought that lock cable option was an option for most of the Yak line.
I think mine is the "Full Swing"

My previous post was that I bought the one that has the swing option, NOT a model called "Swing One" Sorry for the confusion.

Mine does not have a lock on it though. Maybe that is why mine didn't cost 400 bones though.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TNC said:
...Whatever you get, make sure it meets your commonly known high standards.:D A cheap, poor quality model will be a nightmare. That pivoting system these swing-away designs use are almost as important as the pivot design on your Nomad.:D
You always find something to spice up your point! hahaha

·
Registered
362 Posts
Banzi,

I own this Full Swing rack, it's great! I got it off a guy from ebay, paid $330 shipping included, the guy sells several a month, he owns some kind of trailer shop. I refered my brother to him for his roof rack and he also got a good deal. Check it out, here is the latest link to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/L-K-New-Yakima-...ryZ56200QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you don't like that one give him a call and he'll get you what you want for better price. I called and talked to him before I bought, really cool guy.

good luck.

BanzaiRider said:
Are you talking about this one TNC?

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=30

If so the "swing-away" concept is what I meant but I thought there was one similar to this but with rails instead top tube attachment...

I don't have a receiver yet so I'll install whatever is needed by the bike rack and I specifically don't want one the folds down, I want the thing out of my way when I access the back of the car or I get impatient! :)

cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
rworrell said:
I am searching for a hitch monted rack. I came accross this item that might interest you at Costco (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11117030&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1)

a Allen Swing Away 4 Bike Carrier 2'' Hitch $179.99 +Shipping & Handling . for me the S&H + Tax was about $60. But still nice price compared to 399+SH elesewhere.
Wow...THANKS for posting this! This is the exact rack I was looking at buying, but about $20 cheaper than I could find it elsewhere. I had searched Costco before but you have to search for "bike carrier" to see it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.