Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this bike on craigslist. They say it's a 07 Hardrock Specialized with Rock Shocks forks. I can't find a bike that looks like this on bikepedia. Note that the sloping and horizontal pieces in the frame look much different than in the bikepedia photo. Also, I wonder if the shocks are an upgrade. Asking price is $200.

Any advice?
Bike for sale

Bikepedia photo of

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you're right.

Any concerns about a 9 y.o. bike? I could see some rust in another photo on the screwheads where they attach the sprocket to the bike.

Is $150 more in line on pricing?

The guy told me it measures 29" ground to top of crossbar. I know you want a few inches above there but don't know if that's measured to the inseam on clothing or, umm, behind the junk. The non clothing measurement is 33" on me, so that sounds like a decent fit.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Personally on that bike I would not go over $100. Go ride it, see how it feels, if you like it buy it. It really is hard to go wrong when you are looking at bikes that cheap. As long as it shifts well, and the hub/headset/bottom bracket bearings are not shot, then you got your $'s worth.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
id pay 100 for that at 9 yrs old could be anything minor to extreme in the bike as far as conditions go. could be pristine because the owner never rode or or they rode it into the ground, trashed drivetrain fork hubs etc. could be anything. YOU need to know what you are buying. lemon or a good deal. find someone who knows bikes to help you if you need it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are some obvious things to look for? Is this the part where the sproket and all connect to the bike? When I say obvious, I mean other than things being bent. Since you mentioned bearings, do you look for discoloration on the bearings due to heats, etc.

·
Registered
435 Posts
dayhiker said:
What are some obvious things to look for? Is this the part where the sproket and all connect to the bike? When I say obvious, I mean other than things being bent. Since you mentioned bearings, do you look for discoloration on the bearings due to heats, etc.
1) Lift the bike and spin each wheel. They should turn smoothly and quietly. Pull each wheel side to side. There should be very little play.

2) Push/pull the pedals toward and away from the bike. There should be very little play. Pedal backwards with your hand. There should be no "grinding" in the crank bearings.

3) Pull the handlebar up and down. It should have very little play. It should move smoothly side to side.

4) Ride it to made sure everything works and feels o.k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joshik123 said:
i paid $150 for a 07 Rockhopper in MINT condition that came with a pump, seat pack, extra tube, multitool and bottle cage.
Where did you get it? Craigslist, ebay, bike shot, etc?

It looks like a bike in my range is coming up on craigslist about once every two weeks. I'm not in a huge hurry. This is something that will almost exclusively be used riding around neighborhoods with my kids.

·
Registered
103 Posts
dayhiker said:
Where did you get it? Craigslist, ebay, bike shot, etc?

It looks like a bike in my range is coming up on craigslist about once every two weeks. I'm not in a huge hurry. This is something that will almost exclusively be used riding around neighborhoods with my kids.
im sorry, i was mistaken, i paiid 225. i bought a different bike for 150. but still, 225 for a like new 07 is pretty good. i found it on craigslist. just gotta keep on looking. there are deals out there. :)

this is what i did:

Paid $200 for a 07 Rockhopper (black)
Sold it for $300
Paid $225 for an IMMACULATE IMMACULATE 07 Rockhopper (blue)
Sold frame and seatpost for $150
Reken Frame and seatpost for $129 (picked up from pricepoint)

$104 for the final product.

i converted it to a SS:
Salsa 32t ring and bashguard: $30
Surly Singulator: $25
Avid SD7 Brake levers: $7
PC1 Chain: $15
Truvativ Stylo GXP crankarms/bb: $40.

i think those are all pretty good prices. just gotta hunt em down. I LOVE BARGINS :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think one issue I'm running into is the activity in my area. When I check the B'ham, AL craiglist there are may 10 entries a day, with 2-3 being non-Walmart bikes. When I check ATL, for example, there are maybe 100+ posts per day. Sounds like I need to sit tight for sure.

That's some dang nice wheeling and dealing on your part.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I wouldn't pay much more than $50 for that bike. If you consider $150, you're paying 40% or so of the price of a brand new model. A couple of years ago, I sold my similarly aged (9 years or so at the time) Hardrock for $50 to a college student.

Wish I hadn't, frankly, but whatever :eek:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I purchased a 2000 Stumpjumper at a garage sale last summer with fenders,cateye front and rear lights,and a computer for $25.00 bucks. I bought it to give to my buddies 9 year old kid.

I would give $20.00 for that bike.

·
Pat McGroyne
28 Posts
why not buy a new one?

Definitely pass on this one. Why buy this used when you can get a brand new 2009 Specialized Hardrock for $300 at a bike shop? The shop will also ensure it is the proper fit for you which is very important. I agree, I would not pay more than $50 for that bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.