Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 foot, 200lbs, all around riding (commuting, local trails, 10-20 milers, some drops, some sand, some slickrock, etc.)

i had almost decided on a gt avalanche or trek 4500, but then i was introduced to the awesomeness of g. fisher...

both bikes look sweet online, but i have only sat on a mullet. i really need to stay in the $400 range, so opie and wahoo seem to be my best options. i read mixed opinions on this site about the various components. i am leaning to the opie, probably because of looks, color, frame strength, and the way it seems to sit a little more 'dirt jumping' style, which seems like would be good for my physique. i have not sat on a wahoo, but the lbs says it feels like the trek 4500, which was very nice.

opinions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
My son rides the Opie and while I have ridden it a bit, it is two frame sizes below mine so I can't really comment much. I can tell you though, he used in his freshman year on the mountain biking team. His team is 8 time state champs and he had zero downtime from any race or practice from mechanical problems. I can tell, that is HUGE as everyone else had from minor to major breakdowns during the racing season. So, while I am upgrading him this summer to a Tasiajara (I think) we love that Opie for putting in great performance under extraordinary demands. I just bought the HiFi Deluxe so, we are drinking deep droughts of the Gary Fisher Kookaid here......I think you will be pleased with the Opie. Get it and than over time, upgrade the components to improve it.

·
Mud Magnet
17 Posts
I have been riding a Wahoo for just over a year now and I haven't got a bad word to say about it. I choose the Wahoo as it seemed to be one of the better specced bikes for that price bracket. I did like the look of the Mullet but my lbs didn't have one and to be honest I really didn't need a bike that chunky.

I think the Wahoo's angles look great and find it really nimble on the singletrack. But it really comes into it's own when you drop the saddle and throw it around the more technical trails. :D

I'm sure whichever bike you decide on you will be more than pleased with - let us know what you end up with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.