Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I used to mtn bike around 16 years ago and now that my sons are old to bike with me. I am looking to start riding with my oldest son.
I have am looking at:

A new Iron Horse 6.0 for 695.00.
A used Kona Cowan for around 4-500 dollars.
A Trek Fuel EX 5 for 1300.

I think I can swing one the two first choices now. I would have to wait for the and save for the Trek for a while I since I have a budget comittee.

What would you choose or reccomend knowing the higher end is a strech.

Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
Those bikes are all designed for very different riding styles. The Iron Horse has a lot of suspension travel and is designed for all mountain riding. The Trek is lighter than the Iron horse and designed for cross country riding (smoother terrain, smaller drops, than all mt). The Kona is specifically designed for dirt jumping, and is not for trail riding at all.

So, exactly what type of riding are you planning to do? This will help people guide you toward the right bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All purpose

I am riding in NH and Vermont and we will ride trails primarily, but in the past I liked getting into some rough conditions. I did break the fram of a Stumpjumper so, frame strength is a consideration to me.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on bike types, back then I recall only having one kind of bike and you only payed for better components and frame material.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
A couple of thoughts

OK, you haven't ridden for 16 years, your kids are old enough to start riding with you. My guess is that you won't be doing anything crazy with the bike other than riding technical singletrack. Save between $800 and $1000 and buy yourself a decent hardtail. Stick around the forums and ask questions. Vistit the major bike manufacturers websites and look at their Cross Country (XC) hardtail selections. After you've learned a bit here and have reviewed the bike sites, narrow your choices down to 2 or 3. test ride those bikes, then make your choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the advise but, one of my buddies had me try an FS bike the other day and I liked it alot. Do you think the Iron Horse 6.0 is good for 695? Or is there something else that you reccomend that would be more but better bang for the buck.

FYI weight isn't a huge deal to me. Obviously less is better but, I can pedal harder if need be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too just started riding with my son after 13 years of doing absolutely nothing physical. I lurked around on the boards for a long time and decided that I really wanted a 29er after reading about their benefits - smoother ride mainly. I got a Rockhopper 29er and rode several trails this weekend with my son. I have to say that the 29 inch wheels really do ride like it has full suspension. I went down and up some really rooty trails and never felt like I was being beaten up. Long live the 29er!! It was 770 at my LBS due to a price increase for the 09's, but i did get free shoes because of a rebate that Specialized is running and they gave me a great deal on my clipless pedals too. My advice is to buy what you can afford, and ride what you buy. I have not had that much fun with my son ever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got two bike

I ended up getting the I.H. Warrior 6.0 and the Kona Cowan.

They both were priced to well to pass up.

I will share my first experience for all to enjoy.

I am riding to a nearby trail completely new to clipless pedals. I stopped at an intersection to see where my son was and fell over. Sure enough a friend of mine was there to see in his vehicle. My son comes catches up and does exactly the same thing, all the while cars keep piling up on this street that is usally dead to witness this awsome event.

I can't stop laughing everytime I think about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.