Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not meant for the "which bike should I buy" forum - definitely Turner specific.
Okay, I got a Spot with Horst but am thinking might be better off with an RFX.

I know with the Spot I can utilize the components, front fork from my current 5" rig,
and with the RFX will have to get anew fork, like a Pike.

Anyway, my riding style:

Slow climber
Good technical climber
Want to put flats on a at least once a week and go to jump park (in spring/summer)
Solidly decent technical descender
Searching out drops, been up to 5 feet to flat and looking to go bigger (to tranny)
75% my riding can easily be done on Spot, but the rest the RFX may give me more
"margin for error", make it easier to sack up to some pretty respectful stuff we have built
up on the mountain (in spring/summer)

Thanks!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
Slow climber
Good technical climber
Want to put flats on a at least once a week and go to jump park (in spring/summer)
Solidly decent technical descender
Searching out drops, been up to 5 feet to flat and looking to go bigger (to tranny)
75% my riding can easily be done on Spot, but the rest the RFX may give me more
"margin for error", make it easier to sack up to some pretty respectful stuff we have built
up on the mountain (in spring/summer)
IMHO...this description screams RFX.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Yeah, big time screaming for an RFX/Pack. If you get one of the lighter Pikes, your bike will gain almost no weight in the transition between frames, and the RFX/Pack will say " :D " to those drops that the Spot says " :eek: " to. The Pack will climb anything the spot will in my experience, just a little bit slower.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tscheezy

tscheezy said:
Yeah, big time screaming for an RFX/Pack. If you get one of the lighter Pikes, your bike will gain almost no weight in the transition between frames, and the RFX/Pack will say " :D " to those drops that the Spot says " :eek: " to. The Pack will climb anything the spot will in my experience, just a little bit slower.
One question, are the rear ends the same, or is the RFX rear assembly more stout?

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I second this!

I'm riding a rfx-spot (5" rfx) with dhx-air, last night I did 7' gap jump on it, some steep northshore style rock slab rollers, and also carried an extra 10lbs of beer, pads and trail tools in my pack. No worries with the RFX's extra 1lb of tubing durability.

Sounds like you might want the 5" rockers for now (or both), and then you can go to 6" in back in the future. FWIW, I REALLY liked riding 5" in back with a 6" fork, another configuration you wouldn't want too run on a spot. Gives you extra slack angles for steep technical descents. Run a 36 or pike and you can dial it down for XC. That's versatility!

tscheezy said:

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Renegade said:
It must of been a short ride. How far can you go with only ten pounds of beer? :eek:
Good point, renegade! FM you must have been slacking on the beer front. WTF, dude? :D Even with the beer, shovel and a saw is his pack, it didn't stop him on that gap on our night ride (and I think it's a lil' bigger than 7 feet FM, but who really cares). You were just trying to break in the DHX air, right?

BTW, I also agree on the RFX reco's for the original poster. FM and I have a good buddy with a 5 spot that has most definitely exceeded recommended limits on many occasions (Big GLC drop, anyone?), but he's wised up and got a burly bike to handle more abuse now. The RFX is your candidate.

Chers,
EBX
(turner lurker)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.