Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my LBS is getting me a sweet deal on a Reign 3. I can get either an '05 or an '06. (The 06 is $150 more). I'll be swapping out the fork right away. Other than that which year is spec'd better? Here they are. Also I'm 6'2" with long arms. I'm thinking the 20". Should I consider the 21"? I want to run a short stem. I'd like to let my LBS know asap...opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

2005 Reign 3
Spec Name Giant Reign 3
Frame ALUXX SL aluminum
Fork Manitou Splice Elite, 130mm-travel
Rear Shock Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air, 150mm-travel
Rims/Wheels Alex DP20
Hubs Formula disc
Spokes 14/15-gauge
Tires Hutchinson Bulldog Air Light, 26 x 2.3 (folding)
Crankset Race Face Ride XC
Chainwheel 44/32/22
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
Rear Cogs SRAM PG-950 9 speed: 11-34
Shifters Shimano Deore
Handlebars Easton EA30 low rise
Stem Easton aluminum
Brake Levers Hayes
Brakes Hayes SOLE hydraulic disc, 6-inch rotors
Pedals Time ATAC Alium clipless
Saddle WTB Speed V
Seat Post Easton EA50

2006 Reign 3
FRAME ALUXX butted aluminium, Maestro suspension system, 6" travel
FORK RockShox TORA 302 air, 130mm travel
SHOCK Fox Float R
HANDLEBAR Easton EA30
STEM Easton EA50
SEAT POST Easton EA50
SADDLE WTB Pure V Comp
PEDALS N/A
SHIFTERS SRAM X.7 27 speed triggers
FRONT MECH Shimano LX
REAR MECH SRAM X.7
BRAKES Hayes Sole
BRAKE LEVERS Hayes Sole
CASSETTE SRAM PG950 11-34
CHAIN Shimano HG 53
CRANKS RaceFace Ride XC 22/32/44
BOTTOM BRACKET RaceFace SRX ISIS
RIMS WTB SpeedDisc Trail
HUBS Formula disc
SPOKES Stainless steel
TYRES Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal wire, 26x2.3"

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
There isn't really a huge amount between them, the EA50 stem on the '06 is a noteable upgrade. I don't really know much about the two wheel sets which is really the next thing to compare.

Otherwise it comes down to:
Which colour do you like better?
What is your preference - Shimano or SRAM?

Bulldogs aren't that great as tires but they're foldable so lighter. Kenda Blue Groove / Nev's are popular but come as wire bead (heavier) if that matters to you.

You're swapping out the fork anyway so it doesn't matter, but I've heard not so good things about Manitou & great things about Rock Shocks so my vote as a whole would be the '06.
And also don't know much about the Manitou Swinger shock - I'm sure reign owners can advise you on this. I like how my Float R performs on the Trance.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Burrows said:
So my LBS is getting me a sweet deal on a Reign 3. I can get either an '05 or an '06. (The 06 is $150 more). I'll be swapping out the fork right away. Other than that which year is spec'd better? Here they are. Also I'm 6'2" with long arms. I'm thinking the 20". Should I consider the 21"? I want to run a short stem. I'd like to let my LBS know which today...opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

2005 Reign 3
Spec Name Giant Reign 3
Frame ALUXX SL aluminum
Fork Manitou Splice Elite, 130mm-travel
Rear Shock Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air, 150mm-travel
Rims/Wheels Alex DP20
Hubs Formula disc
Spokes 14/15-gauge
Tires Hutchinson Bulldog Air Light, 26 x 2.3 (folding)
Crankset Race Face Ride XC
Chainwheel 44/32/22
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
Rear Cogs SRAM PG-950 9 speed: 11-34
Shifters Shimano Deore
Handlebars Easton EA30 low rise
Stem Easton aluminum
Brake Levers Hayes
Brakes Hayes SOLE hydraulic disc, 6-inch rotors
Pedals Time ATAC Alium clipless
Saddle WTB Speed V
Seat Post Easton EA50

2006 Reign 3
FRAME ALUXX butted aluminium, Maestro suspension system, 6" travel
FORK RockShox TORA 302 air, 130mm travel
SHOCK Fox Float R
HANDLEBAR Easton EA30
STEM Easton EA50
SEAT POST Easton EA50
SADDLE WTB Pure V Comp
PEDALS N/A
SHIFTERS SRAM X.7 27 speed triggers
FRONT MECH Shimano LX
REAR MECH SRAM X.7
BRAKES Hayes Sole
BRAKE LEVERS Hayes Sole
CASSETTE SRAM PG950 11-34
CHAIN Shimano HG 53
CRANKS RaceFace Ride XC 22/32/44
BOTTOM BRACKET RaceFace SRX ISIS
RIMS WTB SpeedDisc Trail
HUBS Formula disc
SPOKES Stainless steel
TYRES Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal wire, 26x2.3"
The way I see it:

Plusses in green and minuses in red.

For me personally, the SRAM rear deraileur and shifters on the 06 and the Alex rims & Manitou Splice fork (of the 05) are enough to tilt me toward the 06. But the truth is that I'd probably be replacing either fork for an upgraded 150mm and the SRAM shifter bits are a personal preference. The inclusion of a decent set of pedals on the 05 and no pedals on the 06 is another factor, but I far prefer the Nevegals on the 06 to the 'Dogs on the 05.

All in all, I think I'd go 06.

JMHO.

I think you'd like the 21" better. Both my son and I have the 21" (he's 6'2" and I am 6'5"). The 21" fits him perfectly. Very few stock bikes fit me perfectly, but the 21" is as close a fit as I have ever had.

I tried a short 75mm stem and did not like it at all. Constantly felt like I was going to go OTB. My son runs a 100mm and likes it. I run a 110 and may eventually end up with a 120mm. I have tried several (75mm, 90mm, 110mm and 130mm) just to see how I would like them. YMMV there too.

Ride 'em both if possible and get the one that 'speaks' to you. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yes, go with the '06 because you'll spend the $150 on purchase/install of new bearings, since the '05s were spec'd wrong. The Bulldogs suuuuuckk. I had the Fox FloatR on a Trance, now have the Swinger on my Reign and like it, but that's because I like to pump up the platform to make it more of a XC pedeler. At 6'2", you're probably right on the 20/21 edge, so it'll come down to your ride style, terrain, and specific body dimensions. The 21 (which I have) is definitely a large, high-riding beast, so I'd say that somehow, if at all possible, you must test ride both sizes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I'm going with the 06. Size is still a dilemna. I think either would work. As far as ride style. I climb for the purpose of coming back down. Some XC, some shuttle runs as well. I'm coming off a Large Enduro, which seemed to have a long TT, closer to the 21" Reign. I can't test ride either size because they don't have any in stock & are going to order whichever I choose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
After almost getting ebay scammed on an 07 reign 1 (yeah too good to be true...DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH "JACKS BICYCLES"!!!),
I'm pulling the triiger on the 06 reign 3 from my LBS at a sweet price!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.