Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 06 unit is on the way, and better yet it is my graduation present from my parents. because of that, i feel like I have a couple bucks to put into it. I want to keep it rigid for a while, and know what suspension fork I would eventually go with anyways. BUT, my question is- what are your suggestions for things to upgrade on the unit- bars, brakes, tires, seatpost??? I am 6'3 and will be getting the 20' size. DEFINITELY lookin forward to it, and I know it's a rad bike as it is but want to make it that tiny bit sweeter. Would carbon bars on the steel frame be dumb??

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
I second the big front tire and Avid disc brakes.

A Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 would work great. Huge, grippy and not too heavy. You may want a tire with more tread for the rear, too. The NBX Lite is a nice tire though they tend to wear a bit quick.

The Avid discs are a no-brainer IMO. The wheels are disc ready and you keep the stock levers.

Be sure to get the pedals and saddle you prefer and adjust the gearing as needed.

· Registered
297 Posts
In my book a SS is as much about minimum maintenance as simplicity , so def. keep it rigid , but go for some hydralic disks = no cabels to maintain.
And some cush. = carbon fork(Pace RC31) and carbon bars.
Cheers

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the suggestions guys, all were super helpful. i've ridden and raced w/eggbeaters before and like them, but i'm not necessarily stuck on them. would something w/more of a platform be better for a more rigid bike? anyone using eggbeaters on their unit?
i think i'll run the stock fork, at least for the first season, though the pace carbon is definitely sweet. I have seen a lot of people just running a disc in the front, with v-brakes in the back. any thoughts on this? reason i ask is that i can get a wicked deal on a hayes hydraulic disc, just the front. is it worth it to do this at first and possibly add a matching disc in the rear later on? THANKS!!

· BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
cmatcan said:
help me customize my unit
Seems like a very strange request....but you could try a prince albert or possibly a tattoo?? Even just trimming the hedge can be an improvement...

OH...wait....you're talking about a bicycle!!! I'm so dense :rolleyes:

I'm looking at the 06 unit myself and my initial thoughts were: disc brakes, thomson stem and post, for upgrades.

· thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
My Unit hasn't been rigid for a long time, but I'd def go with carbon bars and seat post too, if ya can. I just got my 05 barely used for a great deal, and I friggin love this bike. You're going to be one happy boy.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here is a dumb question, but a question nonetheless: does the unit come tubeless? if not, what are the possibilities of making it tubeless? are the wheels/rims compatible or would i need to customize them with a tubeless prep kit??

· igoslo
971 Posts
cmatcan said:
here is a dumb question, but a question nonetheless: does the unit come tubeless? if not, what are the possibilities of making it tubeless? are the wheels/rims compatible or would i need to customize them with a tubeless prep kit??
'04 and '05 were not tubeless and I assume that '06 is the same. You would either need Stans or new rims to go tubeless.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right on, the tubeless thing will be a consideration. but i am used to changing tubes all the time from road-riding, and thats a lot more of a pain to do than with mtb tires, so im sure it wont be a problem. another question- what pedals do you guys have spec'd on your unit? i like eggbeaters and figured the easy entry would be especially important on an ss. any thoughts?

· Premium Member
5,891 Posts
Not as blingy as others

but gets the job done.

Part list:

Thomson Posts
CK headset
Maxm MX-6 handlebar
ODI lockons
Manitou Black Super @ 90mm
Hayes HFX Mag + hydro brakes
Mavic XMAx UST
Hutchinson Scorpion UST 2.3f/2.0r
Selle Italia ProLink saddle
Endless 20 or 22t cog & spacer kit
Deore Octalink Cranks
XT BB
Salsa 32 or 34t ring
SRAM PC69 chain
Crank Bros Candys

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
shiggy- I really appreciate the tire recommendation, especially from someone who obviously really knows tires, but one question- what is the advantage of running a 2.4 just in the front? wouldn't running the same tire with a slightly lower psi in the front increase forgiveness without hurting acceleration? would it be better to run panaracer 2.4s on the front and back? i dont wanna be vain, but running one red side-walled tire in the front and an all-black in the back seems like it would be pretty fugly.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
that's a wicked set-up, dirtdevil. looks like you really made a lot of customizations. how do you like those tires? what terrains do you find they work best on? youre pushin a pretty tough gear there. i can't see me goin bigger than a 19 in the back. anyways thanks for postin that, its a sweet ride for sure. is that a size 19? oh, and what is UST? tubeless?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.