Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi mtbr users!

I would like to have your take on which bike I should buy. I've listed them here for you together with my thoughts.

Epic expert carbon 29. - I live in Denmark and this bike would be ideal for a lot of my XC riding, training and racing. I've already got a Ti 29'er fully rigid 1x10 that I love, but when racing rooty courses it slows me down plus it's not ideal for xc riding in the european mountains when traveling. Issue: I'm not selling my ti and I would hate for it to sit around. Epic is not burly enough to play on.
Rate of use: most weeks and a lot of miles

Stumpjumper FSR Expert carbon 29. - Great for all my trail riding and european adventures. Issue: Does it have enough suspension to be ridden hard? Drops, stepdowns, tables etc. Would the 26" version be a better tool for aggressive trail?
Rate of use: Every other week and during vacacions.

Enduro evo. - i've just hand my Norco Range stolen! Loved riding it but it saw a lot of dust as I need to drive two hours to get to propper trails for that bike. Used my Norco in German bikeparks and had a lot of fun with it. Issue: Rate of use simply. Maybe a couple of rides every month in average. I think it's a lot of money sitting in a bike I rarely use because of the place i live.

Demo. - I love DH in bikeparks. It gives my a thrill none of the other types of riding can match. Issue: six hour drive to my nearest bikepark in Germany.... :rolleyes:

I know you can't really put yourselves in my position but still ... What would you do?

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would choose a Stumpy. Why? It´s not a racing bike, but you can race with it. It´s not an enduro bike but you can do some drops with out a problem. What I dont´t know is which tyre size would I choose...

BTW, I have a Stumpy with wich I run XC, duathlon... and some days, I have other kind of funny

Untitled on Vimeo

Untitled on Vimeo

Untitled on Vimeo

sorry, I don´t know hoyw to put the videos in the post :madman:

·
Registered
890 Posts
^What he said.

Being a perfectionist, it is very hard for me to make decisions when I buy stuff, i want to know that what I'm getting is right for me and is worth what I will be spending. And one thing I've learned you have to make a compromise every now and then. Bikes are that exact example, some bikes are being made more and more for a certain type of riding, while the area that the stumpy and enduro covers are growing. People who are not world cup riders and don't buy bikes every year or two are looking to get on one bike that can basically do it all for years to come.

You already have a hard-tail for your xc needs, so I would look to the stumpy fsr 26", or the enduro. If you want an awesome mix of both bikes, get a stumpy evo, very close to the enduro minus the weight. But you cant have it all in one bike, if you get the enduro you'll lose the feel that xc bikes have, but will love handling stuff the xc bike never dreamed of. With buying an epic you are very close to what you have, your hard-tail. So why not get something thats in an all new area. Plushness over rocks and roots have never felt so good.

So to sum it up, look into the stumpy fsr or evo 26". If you think you'll put the enduro more to use than you did in the past, then go with that. But from what I got from your description your interest is more into the stumpy's range. And the stumpy's range is very big, and with the evo, even bigger.

·
Jungle rider
312 Posts
To me the, real "do it all" bike from Specialized is the Pitch. I have one, and I totally love it! It is an all mountain bike by definition. But if you invest a bit on it, you can have one of the strongest 13-13.5 kg trail bikes that money can buy and you can even do some light DH with it!(it is that strong!)

Unfortunatelly it is out from Specialized production in 2012, so you have to hurry to find a 2011 model in your LBS. Good luck!

Check this: "Ridin' The Pitch" Downhill Freeride - YouTube

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
That's a lot of stuff you want and don't want there.
I love my new Epic Expert 29'' for serious hardcore and lonely rides,but the bike that puts a smile on my face is my Stumpy FSR 26''. I'd say get that one,possibly the EVO if you want to push the limits a bit .You can skip the carbon aswell IMHO. I just had an epic ride with it today after 2 weeks on my Epic 29 and boy it was fun.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quality feedback guys! Thanks a lot.

Maybe I've come closer to a solution.. Beef my 19lbs xc-rocket up with a 120mm fork to make it more capable and then buy either a stumpy evo or an enduro evo.... Hmm

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would go with the stumpy or the epic. I have an epic and i loved it. I ride it on a lot of trails including some technical singletrack, although sometimes i wish I would have more travel.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Get a regular Enduro. It will suffice all your cross country needs, but still takes DH abuse. In my opinion, the minor loss in uphill abilities compared to the stumpy are far outweighed by its downhill prowess.

Don't get an Enduro EVO. That bike's for suckers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
To me the, real "do it all" bike from Specialized is the Pitch. I have one, and I totally love it! It is an all mountain bike by definition. But if you invest a bit on it, you can have one of the strongest 13-13.5 kg trail bikes that money can buy and you can even do some light DH with it!(it is that strong!)

Unfortunatelly it is out from Specialized production in 2012, so you have to hurry to find a 2011 model in your LBS. Good luck!

Check this: "Ridin' The Pitch" Downhill Freeride - YouTube
The reason they nixed the pitch was the Stumpy EVO filled the gap between stumpy and enduro...I'd say the pitch and stumpy evo are pretty close to the same as far as capabilities go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.