Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding for three seasons on an Intense M3; this bike has served me well but I am ready to move on to something else. I live upstate NY and ride the DH bike primarily at Plattekill, Whiteface, Bromont, Highland, and Diablo. Our trails tend to be tight, steep, and technical, with fewer opportunities for wide-open high-speed tracks.

About me: I don't race DH but I like to ride with racers, chase their wheel, and follow their lines. I am looking for an all-around DH bike with a preference towards maneuverability and nimbleness over high-speed stability.

I like how the M3 articulates over technical terrain but I really am not a fan of how much travel it uses all the time. I am 165lbs and on a 400lbs/in spring and am always bumping against the bottom of travel on any flattish landing (which unfortunately are not a rare occurrence on our tracks) or sharp g-out. If I tune the shock to ride higher in the travel, then high-speed chop feels horrible. I have tried several shocks including a MX tuned DHX 5 and currently a CCDB and that tradeoff is hard to shake.

It's hard to test ride DH bikes out here and I am have to rely on other people's experience. I put about 15 days a year on the DH bike and so price is a consideration as well as performance.

Currently the bikes on my shortlist for a nimbler DH bike than my current one are:

- 2008 Turner DHR
- Yeti R DH
- 2010 Giant Glory
- Transition Blindside or TR 450

I am shying away from bikes that are too low or too slack because I know I am not that good and would be having a hard time handling them over the boulders at Whiteface or Diablo. I'd like a shortish chainstay and not crazy long wheelbase. Also a bike with nice pop over roots and rocks would be nice, but realistically I am not the person who doubles up everything in sight and so some ability to plow through is also necessary.

I am curious to hear your experience with these frames, particularly related to handling, suspension performance, maintenance issues, or anything else you can think of.

To make this more fun, here is an example of a recent race track at Plattekill (Pro GRT #2 filmed by the Team Geronimo kids):

MPORA Action Sports >>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
i would get the scott voltage FR 10 or the glory. both great bikes even though the voltage isn't on your list. also try the giant reign sx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
DHmonkey123 said:
i would get the scott voltage FR 10 or the glory. both great bikes even though the voltage isn't on your list. also try the giant reign sx
Those are not DH bikes, the reign is a short travel freeride bike. The specs I would consider looking at are the Head Angle and Wheel Base.

I think you should be looking into the Trek Session 88 or 8. It has 65 degree head angle which will make the bike more nimble and its very light to begin with.

Also the Santa Cruz Driver 8 might be prefect for you 66.5 Head Angle and 8 inches of travel. I took my new Enduro (same head angle) on shuttle service at Kingdom trails this weekend and it was awesome. That might be a good option for you.

I don't think the Transition would fit into the category you are looking for, the head angle is pretty slack ranging from 63-64 degrees.

Hope this helps and good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Yeti R DH is on your list and I've been hearing good things about the Yeti's.
Their light, strong, look sick and are supposed to jump well too. If the geometrys right get one of those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Canfield Jedi or Knolly Podium 2 of my favorites. I do not know if they fit all your needs but AWSOME BIKES that last forever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mjw said:
I am a big Turner fan, I have owned a Flux, Spot, and RFX and the DHR is very tempting. For some reason I am really drawn to the Yeti but I am afraid that it will be difficult to tune small bump compliance and resistance to bottom out with the slightly progressive travel of the 303R DH. I wish someone who rides this bike would chime in ...

I am definitely looking for a DH bike and not a FR bike or a hybrid like the Driver 8. The M3 I am riding now has the "slacker" dropouts which makes the static head angle about 66 degrees, BB height 14.5in (with Minion 2.7 tires), and chainstay 17.5in. The chainstay grows pretty quickly as the bike sags into its travel: sitting on the bike, the chainstay is already 18in.

I just want something a bit more nimble but that can still handle some amount of plowing over rocks. I am afraid that the DHR is more of a pop over everything kind of bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
i had a 2009 yeti 303rdh for a year now i recently cracked the head tube but yeti was awesome in getting me a new frame fast. they sent a 2010 frame also! the yeti is great for technical trails and it is easy to go faster on. the pivot design gets a little chattery on some rock sections but if the rear suspension is setup right it works really well.

this bike works perfectly for jumps. it pops off the lip more than any other dh bike i have had.

you really cant go wrong with a yeti, the customer service is awesome and so is the bike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Find a 2009 Canfield Jedi. From what you're decribing it's exactly what you're looking for... Very nimble due to short seatstays, as well as a shorter wheelbase, and low center of gravity... It can really rail tight corners. And you should be able to find them at a decent price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
You gotta try a Morewood Makulu, simply amazing!! read Dirt Mag's review, they still benchmark bikes against it a year later
 

·
Now with More Wood
Joined
·
2,964 Posts
DHmonkey123 said:
i would get the scott voltage FR 10 or the glory. both great bikes even though the voltage isn't on your list. also try the giant reign sx
Dude,

it's time to stop offering up your "advice" to people who come on here with serious questions and well-founded problems to solve. You have not ridden any of these bikes you ramble on about (you don't even stick to the same frame recommendations everytime you show up in a thread), and you obviously don't really know what people are actually asking for. Just look at the list you offer up here (in reponse to a guy who rides an M3, and is looking for something very specific to replace it, because of a couple of very well-defined characteristics of that frame that don't work for his riding style):

Voltage FR10: singlepivot freeride frame
Glory: virtual pivot type suspension, either a full on DH bike or a FR monster (depending on which version - you didn't even care to specify)
Reign SX: aggressive enduro/light FR bike.

What exactly did you think you were doing with that list, apart from spouting out names of some "great bikes"? Which one of those 3 TOTALLY DIFFERENT bikes did you think might actually help the OP in his quest?

:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Iceman2058 said:
Dude,

it's time to stop offering up your "advice" to people who come on here with serious questions and well-founded problems to solve. You have not ridden any of these bikes you ramble on about (you don't even stick to the same frame recommendations everytime you show up in a thread), and you obviously don't really know what people are actually asking for. Just look at the list you offer up here (in reponse to a guy who rides an M3, and is looking for something very specific to replace it, because of a couple of very well-defined characteristics of that frame that don't work for his riding style):

Voltage FR10: singlepivot freeride frame
Glory: virtual pivot type suspension, either a full on DH bike or a FR monster (depending on which version - you didn't even care to specify)
Reign SX: aggressive enduro/light FR bike.

What exactly did you think you were doing with that list, apart from spouting out names of some "great bikes"? Which one of those 3 TOTALLY DIFFERENT bikes did you think might actually help the OP in his quest?

:rolleyes:
+1!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

After reading and talking to a lot of people, I decided to go with the Yeti 303R DH. Scott at Go Ride had some great feedback on the bike and I think it will serve me right. The Turner DHR was very high on the list but I had some concerns due to the terrain I ride in the Northeast. If I was in SoCal, it would have been a no brainer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Iceman2058 said:
Dude,

it's time to stop offering up your "advice" to people who come on here with serious questions and well-founded problems to solve. You have not ridden any of these bikes you ramble on about (you don't even stick to the same frame recommendations everytime you show up in a thread), and you obviously don't really know what people are actually asking for. Just look at the list you offer up here (in reponse to a guy who rides an M3, and is looking for something very specific to replace it, because of a couple of very well-defined characteristics of that frame that don't work for his riding style):

Voltage FR10: singlepivot freeride frame
Glory: virtual pivot type suspension, either a full on DH bike or a FR monster (depending on which version - you didn't even care to specify)
Reign SX: aggressive enduro/light FR bike.

What exactly did you think you were doing with that list, apart from spouting out names of some "great bikes"? Which one of those 3 TOTALLY DIFFERENT bikes did you think might actually help the OP in his quest?

:rolleyes:
He has to be a troll. That's the only explanation I will accept.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,937 Posts
I'm 170 lbs and had to go up to a 450 lb spring on my DHX-C on the M3 for reasons you state. My sag is only at 30% but that bike sits low anyway so the added clearance is nice and making it a little steeper steering isn't a bad thing for tighter tech riding like you do also. I even dropped the crown on the Boxxer stanchions some to make it even steeper. Works very well now! You might want to try these adjustments before buying a whole new bike.

Have FUN!

G MAN
 

·
Equal opportunity meanie
Joined
·
2,781 Posts
nybike1971 said:
I am a big Turner fan, I have owned a Flux, Spot, and RFX and the DHR is very tempting. For some reason I am really drawn to the Yeti but I am afraid that it will be difficult to tune small bump compliance and resistance to bottom out with the slightly progressive travel of the 303R DH. I wish someone who rides this bike would chime in ...

I am definitely looking for a DH bike and not a FR bike or a hybrid like the Driver 8. The M3 I am riding now has the "slacker" dropouts which makes the static head angle about 66 degrees, BB height 14.5in (with Minion 2.7 tires), and chainstay 17.5in. The chainstay grows pretty quickly as the bike sags into its travel: sitting on the bike, the chainstay is already 18in.

I just want something a bit more nimble but that can still handle some amount of plowing over rocks. I am afraid that the DHR is more of a pop over everything kind of bike.
I owned a 2008 DHR and sold it for an M3. Instantly faster. Rough stuff can really challenge the DHR's suspension.

Try a higher springrate or some more preload and lighter settings on the CCDB. It shouldn't fall through the travel THAT easily - it sounds like more of a ride-height issue.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top