Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m on mobile phone right now so I’ll try to keep it short and let you all ask any questions you’d like that might help you help me.

I have ave a few bikes now, and I want to sell them all and buy or build one bike that will be so overbuilt I’ll never worry about another one.

I have a two year old, so I don’t get to ride strictly road or mtb enough to justify separate high end bikes. Ideally, I can build a hard tail frame and keep two wheel sets. Slick, and knobbies.

This is is more of a “what would you do” so that I can gather ideas for my decision.

Parameters are:

29er
hardtail
dropper post
two wheel sets (carbon preferred)
no preference for 1x or 2x
no aggressive geometry
$6,000 USD limit

·
slow
7,748 Posts
If I had to sell all but one of my bikes, I'd probably keep my 853 steel hardtail. In the 11 months since I got it, I have ridden it more than any of my other bikes. I have 2 sets of wheels for it (running 700x32 cyclocross tires and 29 x 2.4 MTB tires) and 2 forks, rigid Surly Ogre fork and a REBA.

The drivetrain is a 2x, but is biased toward low gearing so I plan to increase chainring size for pavement and gravel. I'd also consider a bike that would fit + tires next time around.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Land vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I had to sell all but one of my bikes, I'd probably keep my 853 steel hardtail. In the 11 months since I got it, I have ridden it more than any of my other bikes. I have 2 sets of wheels for it (running 700x32 cyclocross tires and 29 x 2.4 MTB tires) and 2 forks, rigid Surly Ogre fork and a REBA.

The drivetrain is a 2x, but is biased toward low gearing so I plan to increase chainring size for pavement and gravel. I'd also consider a bike that would fit + tires next time around.

View attachment 1251942

View attachment 1251944

View attachment 1251945
Great stuff and nice bike! Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
14,918 Posts
Trek Supercal when it's released. Be aware of reach and head tube angles. Not many hardtails are up to date with geo yet. DV9 has short reach. The SC Chameleon is better.

·
This place needs an enema
17,091 Posts
If I could only have one bike and if it had to be a hardtail, it'd be a Trek Stache.

Such a fun, capable chassis.

29+ wheels/tires for dirt, then swap a wheelset with some 29 x 2" slicks on when the need arises.

Yup, that's what I'd do.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts
If I could only have one bike and if it had to be a hardtail, it'd be a Trek Stache.

Such a fun, capable chassis.

29+ wheels/tires for dirt, then swap a wheelset with some 29 x 2" slicks on when the need arises.

Yup, that's what I'd do.
I think I agree with him for the first time ever
I just want to say listen to them. If something were to happen to mine I would get another. It is an amazing bike.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
I hate when people take issue with the OP itself, but I can't help it here. With that budget, I'd much rather ride a used $1.5k road bike on the road than a $6k mountain bike on the road. Then spend $4.5k on the mountain bike.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Great question OP.... I'm enjoying the responses and ideas.

I too, realize its called your "last bike forever" but there are hopefully lots of tomorrows and opportunities come with time so who knows?

If you are or get to be a middle-aged or an older man, I'll plug in a vote for a bike that fits plus tires. You may not want them right away but the option could be a serious + pun not intended.
At not quite 58, my recent (possibly last bike) purchase is a hardtail with plus tires and it's a combination of Fun, Capable and a compliant ride considering many old farts go to full sus just for the cushion.
Best of luck on your next bike.

:)

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I know it's not on your list, but if I had to have one bike for life it would be a fat bike w/ three wheel sets (4.8" tires, 29+, and obv 29er). That ability really appeals to me...but enough to have just ONE bike! haha

·
Premium Member
10,761 Posts
What Mike said, Stache or similar.

That said, it’s a dumb question, esp coming from someone who has lots of bikes now and is young.

If I had a two year old I’d do what my buddy did (who also a two year old): run what you have, be satisfied in the moment, then when you have more time and finances you go back to what you did before having kids.

I’m thinking this is less about picking a bike than it is about being a young parent; “early life crisis” 🙄

·
Registered
665 Posts
I hate when people take issue with the OP itself, but I can't help it here. With that budget, I'd much rather ride a used $1.5k road bike on the road than a $6k mountain bike on the road. Then spend $4.5k on the mountain bike.
This is a great option, any thing "hybrid " is not what any enthusiast wants. It might do many things but nothing well. I've considered many types of multiple use gear, fishing, surfing, snowboarding and even cars. Right tool for the job is best approach!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.