Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new vehicle in the mid 20k range. I've decided that my main selling points are that it be awd/4wd and quick.

My two choices so far are the 2006 WRX
pros - new 2.5 liter engine, turbo, 0-60 in the 5's, awd, sporty, funnnnn to drive
cons - limited to roof rack, I'm scared of lifting my 43lbs ASX and dragging it across the door or something, tiny trunk
Does this car look too juvenile (Im 24.)

05/06 Xterra
pros - Spacious, can use my hitchmount sportworks rack, 4wd, looks mean!, new 264hp engine (haven't test driven this yet, does anyone have any experience with one? How quick is it? I'm not expecting anything near the WRX but it seems as if its being marketed as being fast for an suv,) can shove my dog in the back
cons - gas mileage, maybe not sporty enough, on the larger side.
I dont plan on doing any of that super crazy off roading but I do venture up into the mountains on the logging roads etc, is this vehicle overkill?

Please sell me or help me decide against either one of these vehicles. Thanks!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
In Keeping With Tonights Theme....

thesacrifice said:
I'm looking for a new vehicle in the mid 20k range. I've decided that my main selling points are that it be awd/4wd and quick.

My two choices so far are the 2006 WRX
pros - new 2.5 liter engine, turbo, 0-60 in the 5's, awd, sporty, funnnnn to drive
cons - limited to roof rack, I'm scared of lifting my 43lbs ASX and dragging it across the door or something, tiny trunk

05/06 Xterra
pros - Spacious, can use my hitchmount sportworks rack, 4wd, looks mean!, new 264hp engine (haven't test driven this yet, does anyone have any experience with one? How quick is it? I'm not expecting anything near the WRX but it seems as if its being marketed as being fast for an suv,) can shove my dog in the back
cons - gas mileage, maybe not sporty enough, on the larger side.
I dont plan on doing any of that super crazy off roading but I do venture up into the mountains on the logging roads etc, is this vehicle overkill?

Please sell me or help me decide against either one of these vehicles. Thanks!
It's not sporty or quick. It may cost a little more than $20k these days. It's probably not that great on gas but might I suggest.....

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
The WRX (especially STi) is a sick car. I would drive one and I am 38. Why not a small p.u. for the bike? There are many that have 4 full doors and are comfortable, have the bed for the bike, and are somewhat fun to drive. Be wary of the Xterra, I believe that is uses premium gas :eek:

·
inner peace to make peace
2,294 Posts
2006 Wrx

2006 WRX!
or
Wrangler Rubicon
or
$20K Honda Element awd
or
Nissan Titan KC 4wd

i have Element awd & a Titan KC 4wd

·
Ride on
639 Posts
quick = WRX

If quick is one of your main goals then the WRX is your only good choice. I have a roof rack on my WRX and it is a bit of a pain to mount a bike up there. If you're willing to spend the cash you can get a trailer hitch installed, and then buy a hitch mounted rack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Subaru

The best vehicle I've ever owned is my 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited. I don't think I'll ever own a different vehicle (for myself, of course. My wife owns an Expedition, which really sucks, all around.) AWD, if you want quick go for the H6 engine (or Turbo H4), the roof is low enough to reach the roof rack, there is also a rear hitch if you prefer a hitch mount rack and plenty of interior room. I purchased my Outback in San Diego and there wasn't much of a price difference between the WRX and Outback wagon trim option for trim option. I paid $27,000 for mine. Now if I could just get a little kick-back from Subaru for sounding their horn. . .

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Neither - well, maybe the WRX

We have a WRX STi (blue/gold wheels) in the house. Fun car and great in snow/rain. Practical? Not really but a real driver's car. At 24 your are worried about a car making you look too young? Son, you have issues if that is true. :)

Do you really want an SUV with gas prices the way they are? Well, your money and since style is so subjective what you like may be nothing near what I like but I think an SUV makes you look like a "soccer mom or wannabe weekend cowboy." If you really are concerned with the image your vehicle projects, stay far away from most SUV's. Far, far, far away.

The only SUV that I find appealing is the Honda CR-V. Nothing sporty about it but it does fit a ton and at least gets 27 mpg highway.

In your price range, wait until January when the new VW Passat Wagon is introduced. 200 hp turbo, 31 mpg highway and more room inside than most SUV's and a heck of a lot more fun to drive than a truck. Since I'm familiar with Subarus and do like them, why not an Outback? The new ones look really nice (again, my personal opinion which are like, well, you know what opinions are like and everyone has one) and can fit a lot of stuff.

If I was 24 (hell, if I could even remember when I was 24) I'd go with the WRX. That is one hot car and you are only going to get older and more sensible with time (or die young in which case it doesn't matter, does it?) Suck it up and lift the bike to the roof.
:)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Subaru Baja Turbo

No need to be concerned "bike on top," dirt stay outside, secured (as long as you have a lock), 4 door, car handling, AWD, TURBO, 8.4 inch groud clearance, you can get it dirt cheap (very low demand), reliable drive train, TURBO. No WRX, but you can actually accelorate uphill highway at 10,000 feet elevation in the 5th gear at 70 mph. It's much quieter than WRX and Forester. Insurance isn't that bad (certainly much less than WRX since most Baja owners are older folks). Subaru just announced it's discontinuing Baja due to lack of demand. Concerned? Do you see old Subaru still running around? Like GL and Brat? You can figure.

I have ruined my bike fighting the garage frame when I had bike on top. That Blockbuster commercial a couple of years ago (remember?) wasn't funny at all. I can just roll into my garage. It's not the world best looking car, but it has everything a biker would dream of. Did I mention it's got TURBO?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rev Bubba said:
At 24 your are worried about a car making you look too young? Son, you have issues if that is true. :)
I guess its easiest put if I say I dont want to be categorized into the ricer crowd by my peers or older professionals I may work or socialize with. I think anyone with half a brain these days knows that a WRX isnt a ricer, but there's always someone with a few screws missing.

Lets hear it from the older crowd, how do you perceive the WRX?

p.s. practical is out the door, this is my first brand new car, I'll save the great gas mileage family cars for later :)

p.s.s I know the outbacks are capable vehicles, but theyre potray soccer mom to me much more than say the Xterra

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It's a sick car and I wish I had one. At 24 and with the cash it's what I'd be driving. At 53 and with the cash I'm probably going to have one in the next few years. As soon as I can get over the practicality and need for my F150 4x4.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I'm older!

I think the whole ricer image is a west coast thing. I'm assuming that ricer refers to a Japanese or Asian car, right? Being from the east coast, I think we tend to look more towards Europe for our high end imports but that is based on nothing scientific. I'm talking about cars people buy to impress others, not what the majority buy.

At 56, I suppose I can speak for the older crowds here. My son (24) has the STi. I've driven it and been a passenger many times. I preceive it as one of the nicest (read hottest) cars available. Period. I love the overall handling and style. Yes, I think the car has much more style then many other similiar cars but like I stressed, that is a personal opinion and not worth much.

You want to impress people who don't know much about cars? Really only three choices in my book. Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. A tier below I'd rank Infiniti, Audi and Volvos. I am no longer sure about Jaguars since they remind me too much of the Taurus and cars like Rolls, Bentleys, etc. are another thing entirely.

What would I actually buy? For me the CR-V and for my wife something from the Mercedes, BMW, Lexus group. If I was 24, the STi would have to top my list, other opinions be damned.

When I actually was 24, I was driving a BMW 2002 because there were not many choices outside of British sports cars that always broke down or American muscle cars that didn't last as long as your payments. Saabs were a little too kinky but lots of my sport car friends drove the old 99's.
:)

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
thesacrifice said:

p.s.s I know the outbacks are capable vehicles, but theyre potray soccer mom to me much more than say the Xterra
Lessee now, I'm 40, wife is ummm, she won't let me say but older than you. I drive a 97 Outback. She drives the WRX sedan. We got kids and dogs. If the dogs come, we take the Outback. Just the 4 of us, vehicle choice depends on mood.
She likes the WRX because its fun. She doesn't care about the "ricer" image. She likes that its considered kinda cool. I drive it now and then and wouldn't want it because its too much fun. On my own, triple digits are attained too easily. I have no self control with a car like that.heh heh... ;)
I prefer the Outback from a MTB standpoint. The soccer mom thing doesn't even cross my mind. I can put the bikes on top, and all my crap inside. I can put my bikes inside and all my crap inside if the parking is questionable. No issues on any off road (fire road stuff only. I don't go rock crawling).
Neither car has had any issues. If we replace one, the new car will most likely be another Subaru.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Test drive them both and the decision should be simple!
The base Impreza handles better than a lot of other "sporty" cars, and the WRX is even better, so the Xterra would only be a consideration if you were really going off road (like all other SUV owners...)

·
Combat Wombat
1,750 Posts
Outbacks and soccer moms?

thesacrifice said:
I guess its easiest put if I say I dont want to be categorized into the ricer crowd by my peers or older professionals I may work or socialize with. I think anyone with half a brain these days knows that a WRX isnt a ricer, but there's always someone with a few screws missing.

p.s. practical is out the door, this is my first brand new car, I'll save the great gas mileage family cars for later :)

That's funny. Outbacks are about 2000 pounds too light, get too good of gas mileage and most importantly, are way too practical to be considered a serious soccer mom vehicle. Nothing but nothing screams soccer mom like an SUV. The bigger, the louder.

Brian

·
No known cure
4,701 Posts
'nother vote for the wagon

I'm 35 and drive a wagon. Although it's an Audi Allroad, if I was ten years younger it would be a Subie wagon or the VW Passat. As for other cars mentioned in this thread, I didn't like the Honda Element. It needed new tires every 5000 miles, got poor gas mileage for what it was(average was 16-17mpg) and the battery died all the time. The all wheel drive was great but the body was flimsy(I left a palm size dent in the hatchback from just closing it.) I also had a rough time with a Nissan Titan and ended up having Nissan of North America buy it back under the CA. State lemon law.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
thesacrifice said:

Is it the one with the gold wheels and the wing on the back?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts