Votes: 2 18.2%
  • B

Votes: 9 81.8%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several attempts to purchase a bike and finding the majority of my picks out of stock I think I have it narrowed down to one I found in stock. There are three packages and I've narrowed it down to two because I'm not spending the money for package three.

For what it's worth, and the fact I'm just getting started, I'll mostly be trail riding, maybe some down hill stuff if I can get to a park (probably be the slowest guy there), I'd like to try some jumps and maybe learn some tricks, nothing major. I can't afford to break bones and be out of work. I figure I'll get this one and then ride it a couple years and see where I end up.

I've gone through and found all the differences between the two packages. If it's not listed, then it's the same on both bikes. There is basically a $1,000 OTD difference and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the difference. Prices are $1,717 and $2,674 I think it might be but just not sure.

I'm leaving brand out of it for now, mainly because I think I finally found something in stock and not sure my head can handle more options. Thanks in advance.

Build A $1,717
Rear ShockX-Fusion 02 Pro R Large Volume w/ Rebound Adjust, 200x57mm
ForkSR Suntour Aion, 27.5", 150mm Travel, Air Spring w/ Rebound Adjust, 35mm Stanction, 1.5" Alloy Taper Steerer, w/ Boost 110x15mm Thru-axle
CranksFSA Comet Direct Mount 1x, w/ 30T Steel Chain Ring
Bottom BracketFSA Sealed Outboard
Rear DerailleurShimano Deore M6000 Shadow Plus, 10 Speed
ShifterShimano Deore M6000, 10 Speed
CogsetShimano HG500 Cassette, 10 Speed, 11-42T
ChainKMC X10EL, 10 Speed
Front Hub32h Alloy, Boost 110x15mm Thru-axle, Sealed Cartridge Bearing
Rear Hub32h Alloy, Boost 148x12mm Thru-axle, 4 Sealed Cartridge Bearing, Cassette
TiresWTB Vigilante, 27.5x2.3"
BrakesShimano BR-M395 Hydraulic Disc, w/ 180mm Rotors
Brake LeversShimano BL-M425
PedalsDB4L Alloy Platform w/ Replaceable Pins
SeatpostDB Alloy Micro Adjust, 31.6mm

Build B $2,674
Rear ShockFox Float DPS EVOL LV, Performance, 3 Position Lever, 200x57mm, 22.2mm Eyelet Width
ForkFox Rhythm 34 27.5", 150mm Travel, Grip Dampener w/Sweep Adjust, 1.5" Tapered Steerer, 110x15mm Thru-axle
CranksRaceface Æffect Cinch w/Steel 30T Direct Mount Narrow Wide
Bottom BracketRaceface Outboard Bearing
Rear DerailleurShimano SLX M7000 Shadow Plus, 11 Speed, GS
ShifterShimano SLX M7000 Shadow Plus, 11 Speed
CogsetShimano SLX M7000 Cassette, 11 Speed, 11-46T
ChainKMC X11EL, 11 Speed
Front Hub32h Alloy, Boost 110x15mm Thru-axle, Center Lock, Sealed Cartridge Bearing
Rear Hub32h Alloy, Boost 148x12mm Thru-axle, Center Lock, 5 Sealed Cartridge Bearing, Cassette
TiresMaxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.3" EXO, TLR, Folding / Maxxis Minion DHR II 27.5x2.3" EXO, TLR, Folding
BrakesShimano SLX M7000, w/180mm Front /180mm Rear Rotors
Brake LeversShimano SLX M7000
PedalsDB CNC Platform, Sealed Cartidge Bearing w/Replaceable Pins
SeatpostTranzX YSP32FL Internal Dropper, 31.6mm w/Trigger Remote, SM = 125mm, MD = 150mm, LG/XL = 170mm

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you can afford it, option B is a substantially better build. I don't have any experience the TransX or Suntour suspension components on option A, but my hunch is the Fox components will perform much better, and it will likely be easier to find a shop to service them. And while it's possible to ride trails, even technical trails, without a dropper post, modern bikes are designed with a dropper post in mind, and it will allow you ride the bike the way it's designers intended. The better build will let you grow into the bike. And, god forbid, if you decide you don't like mountain biking, it'll probably hold a better resale value.

·
jcd's best friend
3,411 Posts
Sometimes it's best to share the make and model of the frames too. We have to understand the frame geometry and how they work with the parts. Plus it helps us understand the $1k difference in price. The frame is taken into consideration when it comes to the overall price difference.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Get the Release 2. In previous years the 1 had a GX drivetrain and RockShox suspension and was a pretty good deal. For the 2019s, though, I think the 2 is the sweetspot. You also might want to ask on the DB forum where there are some folks who've spent a lot of time on different Release builds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.