Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a new bike in the next week or so and would like some opinions from you guys on which to get. I used to ride BMX a few years ago, but haven't ridden much since then. I want to keep the price between $300-$400. So far the local shops have all showed me Specialized Hardrock Sport, Gary Fisher Opie, Trek Bruiser 1, and Giant STP3. They all look like pretty good bikes, but I want some opinions from people that have experience with them. I want something that can possible hold up to a little bit of jumping once i get comfortable on it again but not to much. Thanks ahead of time.

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
Hosted said:
I want to get a new bike in the next week or so and would like some opinions from you guys on which to get. I used to ride BMX a few years ago, but haven't ridden much since then. I want to keep the price between $300-$400. So far the local shops have all showed me Specialized Hardrock Sport, Gary Fisher Opie, Trek Bruiser 1, and Giant STP3. They all look like pretty good bikes, but I want some opinions from people that have experience with them. I want something that can possible hold up to a little bit of jumping once i get comfortable on it again but not to much. Thanks ahead of time.
You're not gonna get much for the $ youre willing to spend. Freeriding is an expensive sport, and even if youre opting for a hardtail youre easily gonna need about $1000. If I were you, I would search for a used bike... You can get sick deals on used bikes. I spent nearly 2 grand building my bike, which is a hardtail (note my title) but a buddy of mine said his friend got the same frame and similar build for $250 at Sea Otter!! Theres good deals out there, just take your time to find them.. Look on the classifieds of this website or go to local events like races or other bike events and I'm sure you'll find something.
If you MUST buy new, then of the ones you were shown at the shops, the Giant STP or the GF Opie are probably the better deals. You should save up some more money and get a specialized P1... You'll find it to be very similar to a BMX.
Good luck
HARDTAIL PRIDE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been thinking about building something up after this year, but I haven't been on a bike in almost 6 years now and am just wanting something to get me going and back on a bike for now. I was thinking of possibly upgrading next winter then. I will look into the P series, but I don't think I have that much cash right now.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i would say of the ones u listed, my favorite is the ( in order ) specialized hardrock sport DISC, STP3 (the 2 is worth the money if u can dish it out), and the trek bruiser

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Hosted said:
i have three...the best is my Marin Bobcat Trail...light, fast bike with an incredible frame, not really a freeride, but stands up to rough riding (i'm 210 lb and it was my main off road bike for a couple of years), comes with mechanical disks last 2 years years and you can upgrade the forks when your trails get rougher...beats my Kona Fire Mountain hands down. Also have an older Trek 7000zx with Manitou forks, but something comparable would be more $

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I'd recomend saving up at least $600 will make a huge difference in the amount of bike you get for your $

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
Zonk0u said:
I'd recomend saving up at least $600 will make a huge difference in the amount of bike you get for your $
Ya, and you wont have to upgrade next winter, or for a few winters at that.... You'll end up spending the difference on 'upgrades' on the other listed bikes.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
no hardrock for you, can't say anything about the rest don't know them too well. but as for the hardrock, it is not going to hold up, well atleast for a beating, that bike is made to be ridden on gravel paths and road. it's also not built for speed on the trail. it's a good bike, but not for freeriding or anything but light riding

·
Registered
605 Posts
keep your eyes peeled for a used one, i wanted a little HT to play with for a change from my Banshee Scream i ended up finding a 2000 Kona Roast for 200 bucks canadian was in serious need of some maintenance needed some pedals and a BB but for 200 bucks and came with raceface northshore cranks and no cracks ya cant go wrong :) watch the buy and sell you can probalbly pickup a decent FR ht for 400 bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.