Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a mechanic at a local bike shop in Madison, WI. I would say I can be pretty rough on my gear, but am not a clyde, nor would I go as far to say that I am freeride rough. I weigh 155 pounds and have already killed 2 rims. My LaserDisc Trail 29ers were dead the first day I rode them. My Delgados died just yesterday at Blue Mounds State Park. Both times, it has been my rear wheel, my front has stayed straight since day one. I had high expectations for my Delgado Races, but unfortunately they were not even straight out of the box, rather a disappointment. I am hoping to keep weight down, but now am unsure of the possibility of this. Has anyone had these experiences with their own rims? Has anyone had good experiences with other products to suggest? Like I said, I would like to keep weight down, but would also like a wheel thats not going to die in a day.

Thanks in advance,
Nate

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know a whole lot about hub influence on wheels, but my Redline hubs have one high and one standard flange, which I really dont think is a great idea. Could this have some effect on my wheel issue?

I also want to race XC this, or next year, and feel flows are a little overkill, maybe I just need to learn to push my wheels first...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I killed the same two rims that you did, I finally just went back to the Mustang OSB's that came on my rig with King hubs, butted spokes and AL nipples. Its the lightest wheelset i have ever ridden (29 or 26), and also has held up the best. There are no eyelets on stans rims which means 1 or 2 years hard riding at most, plus they're super expensive. BTW i weight 220lbs or more with gear, and use this bike for light touring occasionally (extra 20lbs of gear or so).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, I work at a shop, and am not too concerned with price (we carry stans, so discounts). The mustangs do interest me, 430 is very light, and from my understanding, they are pretty cheap to get. I am really in a bad mood from these Salsas, I was so excited to get them and then they die just as fast. AHHHHHHH DAMN YOU WORLD!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, thats what it was for me, first 24 hours, first time riding them on anything rougher than a road, DEAD, AHHHHHH I AM ANGRY! ok, i think I need to relax and let this beer kick in...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not going to bother with EP, I will just get them at cost. EP takes longer, and is a LOT more work when your parts orderer is lazy and works across town, heh.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too work in a shop, and can tell you that with the money you'll save going with Mustangs over Stans, you'll be that much closer to a nice set of hubs when you rebuild your wheels. Or you could spend it on beer. I don't know for sure if the off center bead makes a stronger wheel, but it does feel stiffer, i assume because of the more even spoke tension.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Bonti OSB Mustangs...

kikyomerc said:
I am a mechanic at a local bike shop in Madison, WI. I would say I can be pretty rough on my gear, but am not a clyde, nor would I go as far to say that I am freeride rough. I weigh 155 pounds and have already killed 2 rims. My LaserDisc Trail 29ers were dead the first day I rode them. My Delgados died just yesterday at Blue Mounds State Park. Both times, it has been my rear wheel, my front has stayed straight since day one. I had high expectations for my Delgado Races, but unfortunately they were not even straight out of the box, rather a disappointment. I am hoping to keep weight down, but now am unsure of the possibility of this. Has anyone had these experiences with their own rims? Has anyone had good experiences with other products to suggest? Like I said, I would like to keep weight down, but would also like a wheel thats not going to die in a day.

Thanks in advance,
Nate
Very good rim but I thought they were more like 490g which makes them a bit porky.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts