Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided to build up a 2013 Spearfish 1 frame. It will be used as intended, for long XC rides. Looking for reasonably light parts that offer a good value. In other words, closeouts, sales, last year's model, etc. I'm aiming for a 25lb 10spd SLX-XT level build. looking for both deals and advice....especially on the wheels and fork. I am comfortable working on bikes but have never built up a MTB before. I have some bits but kinda dunno what to buy for the rest. Any advice appreciated!

Already have:
frame (on the way)
bars
stem
shifters (SLX)
cassette (XT)
brakes (XT)

For wheelset, I want to go tubeless, pretty light and under $500. Thinking Sun Ringle Charger Pros from PP for $450. Thoughts?

And for fork, how about the Marzocchi Corsa Carbon from Jenson for $400? Is it a good one? I can't find much for reviews.

Any tips/deals on other parts appreciated too.....

·
Registered
459 Posts
So you scored one of the last frames from UC? I was over the large and it's sold already

Try to get a SID or at least a Reba, Charger Pro might be overkill for XC rides but they're gonna work just fine.

Tires, Racing Ralph 2.1 or 2.25 and get some Ashima rotors

Also consider going 1x10

·
Registered
744 Posts
I too scored one of the last SP1 frames from Uni Cyc. I using the stuff from my Ti El Marc to build it up. That was a xt/xtr build with arch ex wheels. That weighed 25.5. I expect to gain about two pounds with the new build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was looking for build insight and was wondering if anyone thinks its possible to build an XL carbon Spearfish with XT-ish components and 2x10 around 24 lbs for under $4k?

I'm assuming frames are $2500 so a $1500 budget is tight. Possible?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts