Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been covered and I've done some searching but it seems that everything was about tubeless, and I want to stick with tubes for now...

So - I'm definitely getting Chris King hubs (I know they're not the lightest, that's ok). What I'm not sure about is spokes/nipples/rims. Rim-wise I want something light but that can hold up to abuse from a 175 lb rider like me. So far I'm thinking Mavic 717 or Sun UFO. Opinions?

Spoke/nipple-wise I have no idea. Please enlighten me with your collective WW truths! :D

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Last set of wheels I built:

Front
WTB hub
WS 14/15 Spokes
Alloy Nips
Sun UFO Rim

Rear
WTB Hub
WS 14/15 Spokes
Alloy Nips
Velocity Synergy Asym Rim

I'm a 200 lb XC rider.

I checked the front wheel about two weeks ago after several months of service. Still true and still tensioned correctly. For just XC work I can go with the UFO on the front wheel. For a rear I need something just a bit beefier.

The spokes are pretty much the standard, and pretty cheap. Supercomps or X-Rays would be other options but I don't have experience with either, other than to know they do run a bit more than 14/15's.

JmZ

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JmZ said:
Last set of wheels I built:

---

JmZ
Thanks for the input! I'm not terribly hard on my bike, but not the most careful either, so I think the UFO's will be ok...

Did you weigh yours?

Jersey said:
jusr remember that a wheelset is only as good as its build. you could have the best parts available, but if the builder is a hack then your gonna be sorry.
:thumbsup: No worries there, my LBS owner is building them himself, and he's been doing it for about 500 years...

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Add to that...

Tag1 said:
I know this has probably been covered and I've done some searching but it seems that everything was about tubeless, and I want to stick with tubes for now...

So - I'm definitely getting Chris King hubs (I know they're not the lightest, that's ok). What I'm not sure about is spokes/nipples/rims. Rim-wise I want something light but that can hold up to abuse from a 175 lb rider like me. So far I'm thinking Mavic 717 or Sun UFO. Opinions?

Spoke/nipple-wise I have no idea. Please enlighten me with your collective WW truths! :D
... Bontrager Mustangs. 420 grams, so a tad heavier than 717s but hold up well to my 200# ass bombing down rock gardens. I couldn't be happier. There is even a $15 Bontrager rim strip to convert them to tubeless if you decide to 'upgrade' (notice the quotes) later down the road. I bought the rim strips, but can't quite bring myself to 'upgradeing'.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Tag1 said:
Thanks for the input! I'm not terribly hard on my bike, but not the most careful either, so I think the UFO's will be ok...

Did you weigh yours?

:thumbsup: No worries there, my LBS owner is building them himself, and he's been doing it for about 500 years...
Wheelset weights

WTB Hub 144
WS Spokes 175
Sun UFO Rim 361
Spoke Nips 10
Total 690

WTB Hub 266
WS Spokes 175
Veloicty Synergy Rim 415
Spoke Nips 10
Total 866

The hub, rim, and spoke nips are measured weights, the spokes... I got lazy by that point.

Hops that helps some. I've built similar wheels before too. Got a set that's almost identical with a Sun Sub IV on the front with a Bontrager Mustang Asym Rear laced to Hayes Superlights.

Hügi Hub 164
WS Spokes 175
Sun Sub IV Rim 390
Spoke Nips 10
Total 739

Hügi Hub 270
WS Spokes 175
Bontrager Mustang 430
Spoke Nips 10
Total 885

I did manage to taco (mildly) the front rim on that one. It was done after it needed retensioned, and I tried to keep up with a local freerider hitting a jump on the local trail. Completely my fault. The wheel was still rideable out that day, but did need relaced with a new rim. I rebuilt it with another Sub IV and it's still going today. Again weights for Hubs, Nips, and Rims were weighed, while spokes were not.

Hope that helps some.

JmZ

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,936 Posts
The front wheel doesn't see as much stress as the rear, therefore it can be built with a lighter rim/spokes, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts