Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never built a bike from the ground up but I will be doing that now that I have a Jedi frame on the way. I have a few things already sorted out but I'm still not sure where to go on some components, so this is where you guys come in.

A bit about me: I'm 160lbs and I don't do anything huge (10' drops max these days). Most of the season I have to climb a lot before I descend.

Already sorted-
-Jedi F1
-888 RC3 WC
-Azonic Outlaws (for now, I'm on a budget for the build. I've been using 823's in the past so if reliability becomes an issue with the outlaws I will be going back to those)
-Avic Codes

Where I'm clueless-
-Cranks/chainring/bb
-Cassette
-Shifter
-Derailleur
-chain

I'm trying to stay cheap but reliable. I'm leaning towards Saint Crankset, 36t chainring, saint 11-28t cassette, sram x9 or x0 shifter, sram x7 derailleur. Is this mix/match shimano/sram going to play well together?

I'd like to go cheaper on the cranks as nearly $300 is a big pill to swallow but my understanding on the saints is that they are pretty bombproof, light, rigid and reliable. It may be worth it to spend extra here so I don't have to buy twice.

I do not yet have the Jedi in my hands, anyone know if a 36t ring will fit? I'd rather not go 38t if possible.

The idea of using the sram stuff for the shifting department is the x7/x9 derailleurs have served me well in the past and they are relatively inexpensive to replace if they've been smashed.

I also need a stepdown headset. I was just going to go with an FSA kudos to the price and several good local reviews but I'm open to suggestions here. On the Sunday I'm using the e13 zero stack stepdown cups but my understanding is they are no longer made. I would think a proper headset would be better anyway (though the cups have been working flawlessly).

Very open to suggestions on seat posts and handlebars, grips and pedals as well. I don't really have a preference in this department as long as it doesn't break the bank. I'm trying to stick with a white/black motif.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
cranks definately get the Saints...they just last and are very stiff...wont bend like the others
i like the X9's

look on ebay tons of good deals

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ nice.

After a bit more googling I've come to the conclusion I think the following is the direction I will go in for drivetrain (loosely following another Jedi build).

-Saint Cranks w/ 36t ring
-Shifter/Der sram x9/x7
-Cassette 11-28t saint

Still a bit uncertain about the headset, pedals, bar, grips but I have a few spares laying around (aside from the headset) so I may just throw some stuff together and see what I get.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Daniel O. said:
^ nice.

After a bit more googling I've come to the conclusion I think the following is the direction I will go in for drivetrain (loosely following another Jedi build).

-Shifter/Der sram x9/x7
-Cassette 11-28t saint

Still a bit uncertain about the headset, pedals, bar, grips but I have a few spares laying around (aside from the headset) so I may just throw some stuff together and see what I get.
If it is the 2011 spend the $$$ and get an Angleset. Yes a 36TH works fine.

·
Registered
769 Posts
trust me on this...get the new e.13 downhill crankset instead. It's stunning the difference. They feel noticeably stiffer than the saints, are the same price, and feel great. The through axle is 30mm instead of 24. you can just feel the difference. so amazing

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since a lot of people have used/proven the Saints to work well I decided to go in that direction. Amazon also has them for quite a bit cheaper than the e.13's right now in 170mm.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Daniel O. said:
^ nice.

-Shifter/Der sram x9/x7
-Cassette 11-28t saint

36T chainring will work.
Saint Cranks are awesome.
I'd say go X7 on the rear D, I have both an X9 and X7 and have a hard time telling the difference. You'll feel it more in the shifter, so make that your upgarde. You'll shred the rear D in no time anyway.
Climbing mountains on a DH with a 36:28 low gear? You're the man. I'd have to run a 34T cassette.
I hope you went with the Avalanche on the Jedi, that thing is pure awesome.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
seriously? e13's are "noticeably" stiffer then the saints? I'm 100% confidant you're a nice guy, and I hate to spend all my time calling you out nmpearson, but you're also the guy that thinks singleply 2.35 nevegals are acceptable for DH riding. I would be willing to be solid money that in a blind comparison, you couldn't tell a difference in stiffness. That's cool if you like your e13's, I've liked my e13 products in the past, they make some good stuff and I have enough confidence in the brand to expect a solid set of cranks, but that said, I am very very skeptical that they are as stiff or strong as the saints. The saints are stiff enough that I don't think you'll be able to generate noticeable flex out of them if you're a 300 pound dude who can crank on the pedals harder then rennie.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
I'm running a 34t xt cogset, which works flawlessly with the Saint cranks and x9 shifter/ rear derailleur. And that is pretty much the set up I have on all my bikes (with different cranks). I'd recommend loc-tite for the chainring bolts, too. I've lost a couple bolts in a season on the Jedi - think it might be something to do with the spacers between the chainring and spider, which is necessary to get the chainline right.

·
Registered
769 Posts
William42 said:
seriously? e13's are "noticeably" stiffer then the saints? I'm 100% confidant you're a nice guy, and I hate to spend all my time calling you out nmpearson, but you're also the guy that thinks singleply 2.35 nevegals are acceptable for DH riding. I would be willing to be solid money that in a blind comparison, you couldn't tell a difference in stiffness. That's cool if you like your e13's, I've liked my e13 products in the past, they make some good stuff and I have enough confidence in the brand to expect a solid set of cranks, but that said, I am very very skeptical that they are as stiff or strong as the saints. The saints are stiff enough that I don't think you'll be able to generate noticeable flex out of them if you're a 300 pound dude who can crank on the pedals harder then rennie.
you really like arguing over the web huh? i've custom built over 50 downhill/freeride bikes in the past 2 years and know what's up. i'm not a 15 year old boy. come check out my bike, and the bike with saints that me and about 10 people tried out on friday after installing the e13's and you'll agree with us. and yes, i'm 235 so i'm not a small dude. probably 245 with gear on

·
7MGTE
1,708 Posts
nmpearson said:
trust me on this...get the new e.13 downhill crankset instead. It's stunning the difference. They feel noticeably stiffer than the saints, are the same price, and feel great. The through axle is 30mm instead of 24. you can just feel the difference. so amazing
Thanks man that is all I needed to hear. I was not sure what cranks to use on my new Jedi but I am about 99% sure I am going with the E13s now.

I am about 140 LBS and maybe 150 with gear. Do you really think I need these for someone who is under 150? I had 2010 Saints on my 09 Jedi so I wanted to try something diff. for the 2011 season.

Thx

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Can't go wroing with Saints. I would indeed be "stunned" if the difference between the Saints and the new e13s was "noticably stiffer". Saints are bombproof and idiotproof to install.

Some other stuff you asked about:

Only good things to say about CaneCreek regarding your headset question. The XXc Flush is what you want (I guess that's what you meant by "stepdown" - i.e. running a 1 1/8 steerer in a 1.5 HT?).

If you climb that thing, why not go 11-34 in the rear? You can still get away with a medium cage RD (have heard of peeps getting away with a short cage on a single ring set up, but I would not trust that, especially if you have a bit of chaingrowth in the suspension design). Climbing a 36/28 on a big bike just sounds far too tiring... :)

Handlebars: Spank Spike 777 evo. (comes in a lovely black/white finish for your theme...). Won't break the bank, I've been riding the 1st gen for 1.5yrs, very solid bars, seem to hold up well to abuse (including the finish which does not chip or scuff easily).

Pedals: Kona Wahwahs. Great pedal for the price.

Grips: ODI (Rogue or Ruffian - pick your poison. Depends on preference, thick or thin grip).

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I'm a bit sketched on the Code lever/master cyl. Mine has been rebuilt/replaced once (last year), and now both are sticky as hell, again (no lever return). I'm going to replace them w/ the Elixir CR lever/MC assembly while maintaining the 4-pots calipers.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Pau11y said:
I'm a bit sketched on the Code lever/master cyl. Mine has been rebuilt/replaced once (last year), and now both are sticky as hell, again (no lever return). I'm going to replace them w/ the Elixir CR lever/MC assembly while maintaining the 4-pots calipers.
You are talking about the 2010 model I presume? The 2011 Code is a completely different brake (which does use something similar to the Elixir MC BTW...). Don't know which ones OP is getting though...

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Iceman2058 said:
You are talking about the 2010 model I presume? The 2011 Code is a completely different brake (which does use something similar to the Elixir MC BTW...). Don't know which ones OP is getting though...
I hope he's got the newer one!
Actually, I think mine are the '08/'09 (white ones). They have been a maintenance laden POS! They're being replaced by the white CR Carbons. I've had little to no issues w/ these as I have two other sets, one on a Nomad and another waiting for my Jedi as well. Pulled the 4-pots caliper from the rr of the Codes to swap w/ the front of these CRs...a bit of mixin'/matchin' :)
I've already ran this franken-brake setup w/ the Colde lever before it decided to not work...liked it a lot!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.