Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a smokin deal on a M Uzzi Frame w/ the DHX and a pair of DeeMax wheels.

I'm going to set it up as a Freeride/light downhill ride. I'll probably race DH 6-8 times/ year and ride resort/shuttle/urban the rest of the time. The only thing I have decided on is the fork - I'm going to go with the 66RC2X (unless someone can verify that the SL is as plush or that the 888 isn't too heavy).

This is my first "big" bike so I have little experience with builds. What have you done or what would you do if you had this frame? I'm trying to buy good quality but not overly expensive components. Light weight is definetly a plus.
Have any of you ever used formula brakes?
Can I use a short cage X-9 with two rings up front?
Thanks for your input! I'll keep you posted on what I go with as I get parts...
-Bryan

·
Registered
211 Posts
rudeboybl said:
I just got a smokin deal on a M Uzzi Frame w/ the DHX and a pair of DeeMax wheels.

I'm going to set it up as a Freeride/light downhill ride. I'll probably race DH 6-8 times/ year and ride resort/shuttle/urban the rest of the time. The only thing I have decided on is the fork - I'm going to go with the 66RC2X (unless someone can verify that the SL is as plush or that the 888 isn't too heavy).

This is my first "big" bike so I have little experience with builds. What have you done or what would you do if you had this frame? I'm trying to buy good quality but not overly expensive components. Light weight is definetly a plus.
Have any of you ever used formula brakes?
Can I use a short cage X-9 with two rings up front?
Thanks for your input! I'll keep you posted on what I go with as I get parts...
-Bryan
Sounds like its gonna be sweet! I'm currently building up a vpf with the same intended use. so far I have boxxer teams, waiting for my 823's and hadleys to be built, mainly x9 components. xtr ft der. juicy 5 brakes. I will probably be getting diety bars and stem, pig head set odi ruffian grips, and drs guide. still not sure on the cranks or tires, but I cant wait to get it finnished. It's also my first time building up a fr bike.

It's genneraly a good rule to use short cage for one ring up front, med for two, and long for three.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi, sounds like you can't wait to get it rollin :D
I just finished my first build on a dh bike. I used quite a lot of raceface evolve DH components, which are strong and wont burn a hole in your wallet. They are not on the weight-savers' side though. If you have the cash, I'd go for all-out RF diablous.(bars, stem, cranks, BB, seatpost). I got a thomson but that was using some extra money I'd saved up :cool:
Oh and if you do a mix of FR and DH, I would personally prefer one average size front chainring, 36T, which will give you plenty of power for DH and freedom for FR. E13 chainguide would be nice too...
Best

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
You're probably better off getting a medium cage rear derailleur unless you konw exactly what gears you're going to be running.

Sram's capacity for their rear derailleurs are long = 43T medium = 37T short = 30T

These are not maximum rear cassette or front chainring capacities but their capacity to take up the chain. for a tripple chainring the simple equation is (bigring - smallring) + (big cassette gear - small cassette gear).

You can play with the specific numbers to determine what gears a short/medium/long derailleur can run from a techncial standpoint but if you get a short derailleur you may run into issues where you either drop the chain, have to run too long of a chain to use all the gears, or just plain failure/break.

for a more technical answer there's google and Parktool

Basically you're probably better off with a medium cage

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
I've got a 66 SL. It started out a bit sticky but seems to be getting very smooth. I have probably about 20 miles on it and it keeps getting better. The word is that once fully broken in it's almost as smooth as a coil and a good bit lighter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fork Question

I thought I was sold on the 66RC2x but now I'm having second thoughts...
For some reason I thought you needed a coil fork to ride FR/DH. I've never riden a coil fork so I really don't know what the advantage is... Obviously if I can get the same performance out of the 66SL (for lesser weight) then this would be the best choice...

Anyone ride the boxxer WC air fork on an Uzzi VPX?
Thanks for your input!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
drop one of the rings.......either run a 32, 34 for more pedaling or a 36 or 38 for DH shuttling...get yourself a chain guide and oh yeah you can run a short cage but get a road cassett

1 - 7 of 7 Posts