1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· A God Without A Name
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets start with what matters to me.

Steel Frame
Avid BB7's
1x9/geared fast
large aggressive rider with a 5'10, 30ish inch standover.

entirely Street, a TON of steep hills.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm killing an Order on a Karate Monkey tomorrow... may still buy one. but I want to take more time to make sure I'm happy with my purchase.

steel+discs+street friendly has been, tricky. As much as I'd like suggestions on the frame. I need more advice on the spec!

thanks for anything!

P.S.

My biggest worry with the KM was not weight. its just... I don't think the bike will steer fast enough, to keep me happy. the KM is a mountain bike FIRST and it shows.

· Swedetarded
528 Posts
I ride steel, but I think my next commuter will be Ti.

I'm pretty happy with my Jamis Coda. It fits my winter studs no problem, it's a pretty fun dirt/street bike with CX tires, it's not much slower than my roadie with 700X28's. It's not the lightest girl at the dance, but it can dance. It has served me with 4000Km in the past year, it never complains.

The only gripe I have with mine is the rear disc makes it a ***** to mount a rack/fender. The new frames have the rear disc inside the rear triangle, making rack/fender mounting much easier.

And it holds my beer.

· Premium Member
Priority 600x, Pinion C.12, Gates, I9 Hydras with WTB KOM i40, Paul Klamper
291 Posts
+1 on the Gunnar. that would build up really nice.

Otherwise, I think a cx frame will likely be the best fit for your needs, unless you go with a semi-custom disc road frame.

Or this

....or this Double Cross DC | SOMA Fabrications

I know you said steel, but if I was doing my own bike for the application you described, I'd be rocking one of these with a 1x10 setup and 25c Vittoria Corsa's.

· Wierdo
3,227 Posts
I've been commuting on a Soma DoubleCross DC for almost two years and 11,000 miles and have been very happy with it. Built up with an Ultegra groupset, BB7 discs and Mavic Speedcity wheels.

All of the choices mentioned are good ones. Once you find a frame that fits you, happiness comes down to what you hang off it.

· Premium Member
Priority 600x, Pinion C.12, Gates, I9 Hydras with WTB KOM i40, Paul Klamper
291 Posts
I've got an On-One Pompetamine en route to me right now. Disc tab is on the chanstay, also, to allow for rack/fender mounting.

It has track drops, though, and no derailleur hanger. So, if you wanted to build it up as a geared bike, you'd have to build it up with an IGH.

On-One Pompetamine Versa £799.00
That is a sweet looking bike. I look forward to your write up about your impressions ;)

· Registered
11 Posts
My primary commuter/transportation bike is a old school Serrota T-Max steel mountain bike frame with a full collection of carbon fiber and XTR parts (just 'cause they look so cool, work so well, and they give the bike character). The frame, derailleurs, shifters, and chainrings are just about the only parts that aren't carbon fiber, so it weighs in at just over 20lbs. with the Spinergy Rev-X-Roks bladed wheels, and just under 20lbs. with it's other set of Spinergy Xyclone spoked wheels (even with the steel frame and lights!). It rolls pretty quickly on its Maxxis 310g tires (not much use off-road, but great for road use), handles very lively, and it gets me where ever I need to go with a big smile on my face everytime.

· A God Without A Name
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, so far I am settled on this...
Soma groove 17"
Rigid Some Fork
Avid BB7's
Sun Equalizer Wheelset.
Skinny 1.5 tires.

I will be reusing some parts from my Old bike for the time being. bit this is my start... the wheels and brakes are already ordered.

· Registered
7 Posts
I've got an On-One Pompetamine en route to me right now. Disc tab is on the chanstay, also, to allow for rack/fender mounting.

It has track drops, though, and no derailleur hanger. So, if you wanted to build it up as a geared bike, you'd have to build it up with an IGH.
I've got a new Pompetamine Urban and am building it with 3x9 derailleur setup using a DMR Chain Tug & Mech Hanger and a clamp on cable stop for a top pull front mech.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.