Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my father-in-law has thrown down the gauntlet. I cannot believe he bought my dream bike (medium Nicolai Helius CC with discs), and then proceeded to spec it with very nice parts (XTRs, Tune Speedneedle, DT 240s, etc). It is now a very nice 11.4kg.

I am a half-serious weightweenie if I can even call myself that since I do not even own a scale, and think the drilling holes in the chainrings and saddles are a little erm... "verruckt". ;-) (Psst, that is a German word) I mean it in the best possible way! :)

Anyway, I need some help here. I have a Ventana MarblePeak FS with a v-brake swingarm which I am going to swap out for the disc brake swingarm.

This bike currently has:

Chris King headset
XTR M950 shifters w/o levers (yyay... 8-sp)
ScottUSA stem (110, 5deg)
Titec Hellion riser (alu)
UN91 BB (yay... square taper)
M900 XTR cranks (ditto)
Zoke Marathon SL 85mm fork
Thomson seatpost
XTR M953 front mech
XTR rear mech (Rapid Rise)
M950 cassette
Fox FLoat R rear shock

Key question:

Can I get this bike down to below 11.4kg without spending more than $1500? Or should I give him the satisfaction that he is the "winner"? Btw I will not be drilling chainrings, or saddles, or seatposts. ;-)

Note: I will be bringing this bike on 9-day tours, so it still has to be absolutely reliable for these tours in the mountains. XC only. I am 165lbs or so. Not a jumper. Performance and reliability is very important.

I also like the current ride as it is but I would change to discs even without his influence since the last trip over the Italian Alps was kinda scary at certain parts even with ceramic pads and rims. A weight-losing (the bike) would be also beneficial in those climbs, and hence this project to try to beat his 11.4kg Nicolai as well as a tie-in for my own purpose as well.

My thoughts (please correct me if wrong):

1. I could go either way - XTR hubs with the centrelock system, disc brakes, and XT hydro lever (since I still want to run 8-sp), OR Magura Marta SL and XTR hubs with the normal 6-bolt system (they do that right?). I am more inclined towards the centrelock system as I read that they are simply and are the way to go. (?) Weight?

2. Probably I have to change the crankset to a new XT or XTR? Read that these will save me alot of weight since the oldskool cranks (which I absolutely love) are pretty heavy compared to the new technology.

3. Ebay the hardly used Marathon SL, and get a Fox F80RLT? I read that the Manitou R-7 is very light and stiff (impt!), but not released yet right?

What do you guys think? SHould I go for it? Or is my Ventana frame too heavy to even try? Btw, it does not feel heavy, and I am sorry but I do not have a scale to weigh it. I think I should get one first eh?

Thanks!
cheers, fishy

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
buy a balance so we can see where to go !

I would start with the classical parts : stem, bar, seatpost, grips, saddle, fast release
some egg beaters pedals too.
after that the fork
I would keep the crankset.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Assuming your bike is fully functional, one possible solution is to get fitter and "beat" your father in law on a heavier less flashy bike. Now that is satisfaction.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
getting fitter myself is definitely on the books. thought that i would, when changing to disc, at the same time engage in friendly weight-weenie-ism. ;) btw, he is a marathon runner. being fitter than him is not going to be easy.

and yes, getting a balance/scale is my next stop.

ciao, fishy

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
I could not find info about your wheelset. Often that the first place to start looking.

Simple things like bolt seat collar and skewers, lighter tires will save a 100g. But the new handbuilt wheelset may be a nice improvement (and you keep the old one with heavy duty tires for that one knarly ride and as a spare)

Otherwise - I would not bother. FOr crankset - get Hone and swap inner ring to a titanium one for $40 and add alloy bolts. ALmost the same weight as XT for half the price.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think I can beat 11.4kg for the Nicolai Helius CC, here's the spec:
Medium heliuscc with king headset, ti bolt and ti crown race
RP3 shock with Ti bolts
king wheels, sapim race spokes, 717XC disc rims.
Tune seatpost, seatclamp and skewers
XTR dual controls with XTR calipers 160mm discs and ti bolts
Fizik Gobi ti saddle
Easton monkeylite XC carbon riser
Thomson 90mm stem
extralite grips
Fox TALAS RLC fork.
XTR front and rear mech
XTR M960 chainset
Time ATAC XS Titan carbon pedals.

Thinking of some Pace RC41XCAM forks to save another half pound, maybe the helius ultralight race kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends!.....

.....on your start weight, but in the last few months, I've shaved 1.5kg off the weight of my bike by changing the tyres (>600g), saddle and a few other bits and pieces. Next up are the forks and wheels which will knock another 1kg off the weight.

Being a weight-weenie is very addictive. Once you get bitten by the bug you'll probably only stop trying to go lighter when components break on you. That's when you've reached the limit. I bet your wallet is significantly lighter than your bike by this stage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.