Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, so I'm starting a new project bike a 1998 Cannondale f3000 but the bike doesn't have the brakes so my question is should I thy to get a set of the Magura hydraulic rim brake or should I get a set of Shimano xt rim brakes, I have no experience with the Magura's but it would be cool to have the Magura's but they're also heavier and more expensive than the Shimanos. If you happen to have a set of Maguras that you don't need let me know. btw the brakes don't have to be the same year as the bike

·
Registered
473 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the Maguras. I love them on my trials bike, because they have absolutely no modulation and go from fully off to fully locked when you so much as touch the lever. That same behavior would really suck for normal riding. Obviously with the right pads and setup for your riding style they can be decent, but unless you really really want Maguras I would stick with regular V-brakes.

If you do want them, HS33s are usually on Ebay for around $85.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
XTR v-brakes are about the best in terms of stopping power. The pads are mounted on a linkage, so they always move parallel to the rim. None better, though they do take a bit more maintenance to keep functioning smoothly.

Expensive, but the way to go, in my opinion.

I like the Magura hydraulic rim brakes, but as norton said, their modulation is kind of crummy. If you can find the older levers for them, you can improve their performance greatly, but they are difficult to find now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i totally disagree with the lack of modulation comment regarding maggies. if you've got trials pads and tarred rims then yeah, zero mod but with typical xc rims and red pads you'll have excellent control with the maguras. plus, there is nothing even close to hs33's in regard to ease of maintenance. they take a little longer to set up but then... nothing but a pad change here and there, which seriously takes about 45 seconds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts