Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weight: 26.5lbs

Frame: 7005 Super Light Weight 4-Bar Linkage w/ Rock Shox Sid XC Adjust 3.5" Travel Chain: KMC Z-9000
Fork: Rock Shox SID Race 80mm Travel Crankset: TruVativ FireX 44/32/22
Headset: FSA Orbit DL Bottom Bracket: TruVativ ISIS Splined BB
Rims: Sun Mach 4 Cassette: Shimano Deore 11-34, 9-Speed
Hubs: Power Tool Alloy Pedals: Power Tools Clipless
Tires: Panaracer Trail Blaster Kevlar, 26x1.95 Seatpost: Carbon Fiber
Spokes: 15g Stainless Saddle: KHS Race w/Cromo Rails
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore HandleBar: Carbon Fiber Riser
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
Stem: Kore Lite
Shifters: Shimano LX Brake Levers: Avid 5.0 Speed Dial
Brakes: Avid Single Digit 5.0

so far i have stem...maybe pazzaz $16 140g or 24$ sette 138g 90mm vs 220g kore
rim tape?
are these wheels heavy?
what cheap 100 dollar combo would you do?

where can i lose the most weight?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mach said:

Frame: 7005 Super Light Weight 4-Bar Linkage w/ Rock Shox Sid XC Adjust 3.5" Travel Chain: KMC Z-9000

so far i have stem...maybe pazzaz $16 140g or 24$ sette 138g 90mm vs 220g kore
rim tape?
are these wheels heavy?
what cheap 100 dollar combo would you do?

where can i lose the most weight?
3 suggestions:

Your cassette is Deore 11-34 and should be rather heavy maybe ~500g even. Replacing it with 11-34 XT and an alloy lockring or better yet Dura Ace 11-27 will drop a ton of weight. I think that one alone is about $100.

Another suggestion would be the saddle. Like the cassette your should be pretty heavy. You can get a new 140g SLR on eBay for ~$65 or there is that pricepoint (or performance?) SLR lookalike at ~190 g whose name or price I don't remember (someone can fill me in on this one) which is pretty cheap.

What I would most likely do is get a pair of Nokian NBX lites ($62 at Aebike.com) and with moeny left over set myself up with DIY tubeless. You'll likely save bunch of weight but, more imporatantly, save also lots of rolling resistance and be much faster than all other options.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Mach said:

That Pazzaz stem is a good one, as is the Aireon Team Race saddle that I think Boj was referring to (from Supergo, $29.95 if they have any left). see thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=41879

Theres also the Forte saddles from Performance, but they're a tad heavier and a tad more expensive.

Koski V-Lite brakes, save 80 or so grams for $9.95 + shipping on Ebay. This is one of my favorite budgetlight weight savers.

Speedcific Skewers from Odds N Endos, I don't know what skewers you are using now but theres a potential 70 gram savings over stock QR's for roughly $11.

Foam Grips (made from 10" roadie tubes cut to size), 50+ gram savings over rubber for under $5.

My Deore cassette with the steel lockring weighed 432 grams. An XT weighs around 260 grams, cost of under $40 and with a relatively whopping 172 gram savings.

SRAM PC-89r hollowpin chain, $27 at JensonUSA. Wait till your KMC chain wears out and then you'll be needing a new chain anyway, so you won't have to apply this toward your $100..... :D Anyway, a savings of 40+ grams.

Like Boj said, your best performance bang for the buck would be to get low rolling resistance tires such as the Nokians and convert to tubeless. You'd get substantial weight savings plus reduced rolling resistance which is even more important.

Try to be as creative as you can without compromising safety or performance. Line up your options on an Excel spreadsheet and pick those that offer the most grams per dollar first. Also, If you don't own a scale, spend the $20 and buy a digital postal scale so you have a better idea of how much you will save with each part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ok i bought a few things...how much do you think i lost from these parts?..i bought light budget parts vs big names..ended up with a bunch of stuff...next is tires at 340g

Shimano Deore XT Front Derailleur-Top Pull 138.......123g

Performance MTB LunarLight Tubes - Presta 26x1.95-2.25........ 90g

Shimano XT CS-M760 Cassette 34 / 011.............264g

Performance Rim Tape 17
Performance ATB Comp Pedal / BLK.............260g

SETTE EDGE 2014 MTN STEM 1 1/8 10DEG BLK 90mm.............126g
SETTE F/X CARBON STRAIGHT HANDLEBAR 580MM BLACK.............138g
SETTE RACE TI LEATHER SADDLE TITANIUM RAILS BLACK.................198g
SETTE MX2 SUSPENSION SKEWERS TI(REAR) CRM(FNT) BLK..........100g...very cheap front is cro mo rear is ti
SETTE CARBON HEADSET SPACERS 1 1/8 10MM
Salsa Lip-Lock Seat Clamp 36.4mm Black............34g

so any estimates on weight loss?.....the stock tires are 500g....i'm gonna get kenda 340g tires next or the ones you listed, couldnt find the brakes on ebay but i'll keep loooking

also grabbed some stuff thats needed

susp pump
grips
grease

lockring tool..is this all i need to swap cassettes?..and the alloy ring?

i got everything for under $250

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Mach said:
Kenda Klimax Lite XC 1.95 tires are 345grams...but i cant find them cheaper than 37bux each
Be careful of super light tires like the Klimax's. You may get lighter weight, but often at the cost of control and grip. The Kenda Karma DTC's are a better option IMHO. They weigh between 450 and 475 grams and are a true large volume tire with low rolling resistance and good grip. You'll be faster with them than the Klimax's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DaFireMedic said:
Be careful of super light tires like the Klimax's. You may get lighter weight, but often at the cost of control and grip. The Kenda Karma DTC's are a better option IMHO. They weigh between 450 and 475 grams and are a true large volume tire with low rolling resistance and good grip. You'll be faster with them than the Klimax's.
how about Maxxis Minotaur 380 1.9? i alrdy bought the 1.95-2.25 tubes....does that mean i cant use these 1.9?

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Mach said:
how about Maxxis Minotaur 380 1.9? i alrdy bought the 1.95-2.25 tubes....does that mean i cant use these 1.9?
The Minotaurs are the best of the super light tires IMHO, as they offer some grip and roll fast. The problem will all skinny low profile tires like these are that they respond too quickly to any input from the ground or the handlebars, making for a "squirrrely" feel. They're great for climbing, but the hamper the confidence on downhills (especially when you get some speed going) and rough terrain. This is why I prefer a full volume tire. My suggestion is to try the Minotaurs, they are cheap right now (you can get them for just over $10 a tire) and see how you like them. My guess is that within 6 months you will find yourself wanting a larger tire.

You can use those tubes in a 1.9 or smaller, no problem. You'll find that they don't look any skinnier than the Klimax's, Fast Freds, Twister SS, or any other superlight tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.