Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cycologist
16,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought old non-boost quick release 29er wheelsets would be a dime a dozen but I'm finding them to be extremely rare. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money and at this time, I only have two to consider.

First one is new WTB ST I30 rims with Formula MT-2100 Hubs with Sealed Bearings $229 + $29 for shipping (they were $299)
Black DT Swiss 2.0 Spokes
Sapim Polyax Brass Nipples
Drilled for Presta Valves
Actual Weight: 1053 Front 1367 Rear (grams)

That seems heavy. I'm not expecting lightweight at this price but still seems heavy, though that's maybe because they are i30s? They are tubeless ready. Front wheel is 15x100mm thru axel but includes the qr adaptor, rear is just qr.

2nd one is a used set, guy is asking $375 for
DT Swiss EMC wheels with Race Face Jvault hubs
He thinks they are i21 or i22

I know they are a much better quality wheel but price seems high for something so obsolete, though obviously I need them.

They would be used to replace the stock 27.5 wheels on my 2018 Unit, which are pretty cheap. Or, I might put the wheels from my 2014 SC Superlight 29 on the Unit and put the new ones on the SL. SL wheels are WTB ST i19 TCS with Sram hubs, non-tubeless. TBH, tubeless isn't that big of a deal for me, I rarely get flats. Unit and my SS are tubeless, though.

I think the max tire on the SL is only a 2.3 while the Unit has plenty of room. The Unit will just be used as a more all-around bike, possibly commuting (3-4 miles of trails, 8 miles of road), gravel, hopefully a little bikepacking someday, occasional trail riding (geared and rigid). But the SL will remain my main bike so it will get the better wheels.

So, at this point, are the used wheels that much better that they are worth the asking price, or maybe a bit lower? Or would the new i30s be better despite the weight? Or does anyone have a better deal stashed away that they'd like to sell me?

·
Cycologist
16,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some WTB Dual Duty for ya.
PM me.

-F
Thanks but I ended up buying a new set of Stans Arch EX i21s I found on eBay being sold by Bicycle Wheel Warehouse yesterday. I knew as soon as I bought them something would come along!

Reactions: Fleas
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.