Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another forum and had no responses. I hope that some here might have some insight.

I have not ridden a bicycle in about 10 years. I bought a Cannondale, but returned it b/c I had no clearance and, despite what the salesman said, that was a concern for me. The Cannondale had a height when standing over the top tube at its midpoint of slightly over 30inches.

After doing some additional research, the GF medium frames have a measurement of slightly under 29 inches. My interest is in the Marlin Disk or the Wahoo Disk.

I am about 5' 7.5" tall w/an inseam of about 29.5" to 30". My previous mtn bike was a giant ATX 780 and was about a 15.5" - 16" frame. Most of the people that I have talked to (dealers) have said that a small frame will not work.

Any sugestions?

·
adult onset ADHD
149 Posts
I think that the Med might be a bit on the large side for you. Stick with the small or go to a different brand.
I'm 5'11" with 32 inseam and the Med is the bike I would choose of off road. More pavement and I can ride the large but it's still big for me. For your height you seem like 1 size down from me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That 'persoanl experience' is what I am looking for. I did talk to a dealer a little while ago and he thinks the same thing. His is going to 'fit' me on a Small Trek for sizing b/c, according to him, it is easier to adjust a smaller bike for a slightly larger rider than a slightly larger bike for a smaller rider.

The different brand has been a problem as well. Then again, I did not look at the Small Cannondale that I had originally purchased.

·
WNC Native
4,021 Posts
I suggest test ride a med Fisher. You may fit on a medium just fine. My wife borrowed my sister's wahoo to see how a med fit her. My wife is 5'5" with a 29" inseam. She normally rides a small fisher, but also fit on the medium fine. That was about the most standover she could have comfortably, but the top tube fit was spot on. My sister is 5'7" and probably 30-31"inseam.

I'm 6' with 32" inseam and fit perfectly on Large fisher frames. Some large frame bikes even feel too small for me, because I have a longer torso (which needs a longer top tube).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will do that as well. I sat on a medium a couple of months ago before I was too serious and I don't recall it being too big; however, I was not paying too much attention either. I just have nightmares (not really) about coming off the seat and landing on a top tube as high as the Cannondale seat fit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam, so I have short legs and a relatively long torso. I find that the GF Genesis geometry works for my shape due to its relatively long top tube length. I ride a medium frame Hi Fi Carbon. The standover height is barely low enough for my crotch height, but I haven't had any nut-busting falls. I tried a small Hi Fi, but felt too "scrunched". I also tried a Specialized Stumpjumper, but felt too upright on it due to the shorter top tube length compared to the Hi Fi. Since my seat is pretty low due to my short legs, I took all the spacers out of the headset. Even then, the seat is a slightly below the height of the bars. I've thought about flipping the stem over or going to flat bars vs. risers, but really like how the bike handles and have decided not to mess with it other than removing the spacers (and having my LBS cut down the steerer tube after removing the spacers).

It's really about what feels comfortable to you, but I wouldn't be afraid to test ride a medium frame since you sound close to my size.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm 5'6 with about a 27-28in inseam. I'm riding an medium 07 Fisher HiFi and it fits pretty good. I did recently change the stem from the stock length 90mm to a 70mm (both thomson 0* rise stems). The standover height is a little high for my inseam but nothing to bad. I found that the size medium (a slightly longer wheelbase) had better handling at higher speeds than the smaller size. So chose to go with the medium.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the assistance. I will go to a dealer this week and get fitted for both a small and a medium. I had a Giant ATX 780 in the mid 90's and it was a 16" frame and fit perfectly. I know that the Giant is a different bike and the techonolgy is most likely a world away from what it was 15 years ago, but I like the GF bikes. I hope that the geometry will work since I have a longer torso. I should know w/in a week! I have considered the Wahoo Disk as well, but it seems that for the extra $150, there is a significant increase in components.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.