Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Recovering couch patato
13,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

X-posting this on the 29" forum, I'm desperate....
I'm here at a friend's trying to change the drivetrain. LX hub, Deore cassette. Cassette hasn't been removed since initial assembly almost 2 years ago.
I have a good chainwhip and lockring nut attached to a lever, perfect tools you'd say. Lockring won't move a bit, even with all my 190lb of might on it. Hitting the lever with a small hammer to try and break it loose, nothing.
I now have the lockring soacked in PTFE teflon spray, the best I could find here, to let it sit like that overnight.
Tomorrow I'm out of here, but would like to get the job done, I'm taking my tools with me, you see. Any tricks I could try to get that mother to let go? In all of my life, I've never come across such a stuck lockring, what could cause this?

Thanks a lot!!

J

· Registered
45 Posts
WD40 would be what I would try first, if I had WD40. Heat works wonders on stuck fasteners. 30 seconds with a propane torch would probably loosen the lock ring, if you had a propane torch. I am not talking cherry red here, just hot. There are some sensitive bits where you would be applying the heat (rubber dust seal?, plastic spacers between cogs...), so be careful. You don't want to cook the freehub. I have never had this happen me. Maybe the locking wasn't greased when it was first put on.

· Always Learning
9,593 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Hey all,

X-posting this on the 29" forum, I'm desperate....
I'm here at a friend's trying to change the drivetrain. LX hub, Deore cassette. Cassette hasn't been removed since initial assembly almost 2 years ago.
I have a good chainwhip and lockring nut attached to a lever, perfect tools you'd say. Lockring won't move a bit, even with all my 190lb of might on it. Hitting the lever with a small hammer to try and break it loose, nothing.
I now have the lockring soacked in PTFE teflon spray, the best I could find here, to let it sit like that overnight.
Tomorrow I'm out of here, but would like to get the job done, I'm taking my tools with me, you see. Any tricks I could try to get that mother to let go? In all of my life, I've never come across such a stuck lockring, what could cause this?

Thanks a lot!!

J
My guess is was overtightened when installed and perhaps there was some grit or grime in there when it was tightened down that are causing extra friction or ended up "sealing" the lockring in place. If the WD-40 or something like Liquid Wrench doesn't work......the "bail out" method is to clamp the lockring tool in a vice, hold the chain whip and use the leverage of the wheel with both of you turning it to see if you can wiggle it loose.

BB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.