Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Recovering couch patato
13,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm here at a friend's trying to change the drivetrain. LX hub, Deore cassette. Cassette hasn't been removed since initial assembly almost 2 years ago.
I have a good chainwhip and lockring nut attached to a lever, perfect tools you'd say. Lockring won't move a bit, even with all my 190lb of might on it. Hitting the lever with a small hammer to try and break it loose, nothing.
I now have the lockring soacked in PTFE teflon spray, the best I could find here, to let it sit like that overnight.
Tomorrow I'm out of here, but would like to get the job done, I'm taking my tools with me, you see. Any tricks I could try to get that mother to let go? In all of my life, I've never come across such a stuck lockring, what could cause this?

Thanks a lot!!

J

· Beware of Doggerel
649 Posts
ideas

I like to tinker with old bikes and have un-stuck many a part, here are some ideas. First find some pipe or something give you a longer lever on the cassette tool. Next bang on the part to loosen any rust. And I mean bang on it hard and repeatedly try a rubber mallett or a small sledge buffered with a block of wood. repeat as needed.

Now if you want to go drastic on its a$$ and don't mind risking destroying the hub here are some other options. Heat and cool the parts. If the lock ring and cassette hub are different metals or heated unevenly they should expand a different rates and separate (sort of like putting a jar lid under hot water to open it). But this isn't really a good idea because there is grease and teflon lube all over the place down there lots of flammable chems. Or try Naval Jelly this stuff is basically a very very corrosive acid, it will destroy any rust or whatever but may also eat the hub, and I would not want this stuff anywhere near the internals. Also if you don't clean it all out it could lead

Finally what I have one more idea carefully cut away the stuck lockring with a dremel and a cutting wheel. Don't cut it all the way though because then you will damage the threads on the hub, just cut it most of the way then carefully knock out the pieces with a chisel. This is a lot of work for an LX hub.

Good Luck

· Registered
1,531 Posts
Try using an air impact gun on it... most lock ring tools have a provision for 1/2" drive tools...
It shouldn't do any additional damage (since you're loosening it up) aside from whatever is seized up in there right now.

· Registered
504 Posts
I forget who it was who said "give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I'll move the world" but it is true - I'd agree with Adam in first trying to get a pipe over that chain whip handle and your cassette tool and use the extra leverage to your advantage.

Adam's other tips are good - lubricant probably isn't going to help much if the lockring is already rusted into the freehub.

One thought was that it might be easier to apply extra leverage if you take the axle out and take the freehub off the hub with a 10mm allen key (assuming you have one with you...)

Sam

· Registered
1 Posts
The best way I've found is to clamp the cassette tool in a bench-mounted vise, place the wheel on top of the cassette tool and turn the wheel itself. And with a 29er, think of all the extra leverage you get.

· Registered
594 Posts
Earl said:
The best way I've found is to clamp the cassette tool in a bench-mounted vise, place the wheel on top of the cassette tool and turn the wheel itself. And with a 29er, think of all the extra leverage you get.
Well the first thing you have to ask is "What Would MikeC Do?". The easiest thing to do is to do what I would do. That is look at this as an opportunity and upgrade to something better and run with it like you stole it. Or you can repair what you already own.

Turning the wheel itself will only work if you are using a screw-on SS freewheel. You can place the lockring tool in the bench vise, then use the chainwhip. If that does not work, try using a pry bar or some other flat edged peice of metal that will lay flat/parallel on the smallest cog and give the LR a few whacks. Using some type of bar without a plastic handle like a screwdriver will allow you to have good, solid hits without having to use a ton of force.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.