Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm a fairly longtime rider who has taken a few years off from the sport, but am looking to get back into it. A few years ago I bought a new Giant NRS-3 that has been upgraded in the braking department, but I'm very curious about some of the original parts used (that I cannot see...such as the bottom bracket, etc.).

Does anyone have the original specs for my bike, or know of a good source where I could look them up? I am about to do a bit of weight reduction on the bike (something I am very passionate about with any of my machines), and would love to have more help establishing that baseline. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide me.

Steve T.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was absolutely helpful...thank you for the information. I believe the seatpost is a 30.9, correct? Do you have any idea what type of crankset and bottom bracket came on my bike? The crank doesn't seem to have any writing whatsoever on it, so I don't know the first thing about it (other than it looks like it came off a tank). :)

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
Hey dude, nice washer and dryer!:thumbsup:

Giant doesn't maintain their archive site anymore. I had purchased a 2002 NRS Air in 2005 and it didn't have any paperwork, and I recall using the archive pages on Giant's web site for info. Bummer.

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
My apologies for the ridiculous pictures...I realize that must look dumb as hell. ;)
No, not at all. I was serious. I just had to buy a new dryer so spent some time in Lowes and Home Depot looking over what's available. Your set looks pretty sweet. My wife said one time that nothing makes life easier than a good washer dryer set.

Sorry for the derail. :) Yes, I'm weird.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem. Totally off topic to match your interest...I can definitely recommend LG washer/dryers at this point. We spent a bit more but are really satisfied with them. :)

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
No problem. Totally off topic to match your interest...I can definitely recommend LG washer/dryers at this point. We spent a bit more but are really satisfied with them. :)
:thumbsup:

Nice bike by the way. The NRS is/was a great platform.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Now that I actually plan to ride it regularly (a good friend with an NRS-1 recommended the frame a few years back), hopefully I'll see that for myself a bit more!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Steve the seatpost is 27.2 with a shim to fit 30.8. Some have used a 30.9 seatpost but its suppose to be a bit tight. I have a Thomson 30.8 x 330 post and eliminated the shim. The cranks I can't help you out with as another poster stated Giant took down their archives. I'm sure the cranks are isis drive but probably heavy as hell, don't know of any manf. using anything else other than isis back in those days and not using square taper

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
That was absolutely helpful...thank you for the information. I believe the seatpost is a 30.9, correct? Do you have any idea what type of crankset and bottom bracket came on my bike? The crank doesn't seem to have any writing whatsoever on it, so I don't know the first thing about it (other than it looks like it came off a tank). :)

Thanks again!
Perhaps this link will help;

http://www.epinions.com/bicycles_2002_Giant_XtC_NRS_3/display_~full_specs

Yes, the cranks are from a tank. At least you have motorcycle brakes now. :p :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot for the additional information. I actually took the bike down to my local bike shop tonight for a professional tune up, and was told that the crank is a Shimano Alivio :)mad:), but what did I expect from such a heavy looking crank, right? ;)

However, I may have an all new problem or two with the bike, and not something that I even remotely expected to face. Last night when we purchased my wife's all new Trek 6500 from the same shop, we had them give her a fitment test and she came up with a 19.5 inch frame. She is 5'11" before anyone panics. However, I started to grow concerned that my own 18.5 inch frame might not be the best overall fit for me (I'm 6'0").

Today I had them do the same sizing test on me, and they definitely think the frame is too small for me, resulting in a completely compromised seating position. They recommended the 20.5" size, if I wanted to stick with a similar bike. Now, I grew up riding bikes in the early 90's, and I swear that I always had 18 or 18.5 inch sized frames (I've probably had about 4 bikes total since I started riding). Back then I know the size wasn't regarded as being off, and I definitely recall seeing a lot of high seatposts too. Has something significant changed or evolved in sizing frames for people over the last 4-5 years? Am I wrong to want a second opinion?

Finding a used NRS frame in the 20.5 inch size actually seems reasonably easy...so that isn't my primary concern. I am now more concerned with making sure I actually have the right size frame for my body...to keep me comfortable and able to tolerate long rides without muscle aches and pain. Any input for me? Thanks guys/gals...I appreciate it.

I'll start another thread too, since I realize I have completely switched topics here.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Thanks a lot for the additional information. I actually took the bike down to my local bike shop tonight for a professional tune up, and was told that the crank is a Shimano Alivio :)mad:), but what did I expect from such a heavy looking crank, right? ;)

However, I may have an all new problem or two with the bike, and not something that I even remotely expected to face. Last night when we purchased my wife's all new Trek 6500 from the same shop, we had them give her a fitment test and she came up with a 19.5 inch frame. She is 5'11" before anyone panics. However, I started to grow concerned that my own 18.5 inch frame might not be the best overall fit for me (I'm 6'0").

Today I had them do the same sizing test on me, and they definitely think the frame is too small for me, resulting in a completely compromised seating position. They recommended the 20.5" size, if I wanted to stick with a similar bike. Now, I grew up riding bikes in the early 90's, and I swear that I always had 18 or 18.5 inch sized frames (I've probably had about 4 bikes total since I started riding). Back then I know the size wasn't regarded as being off, and I definitely recall seeing a lot of high seatposts too. Has something significant changed or evolved in sizing frames for people over the last 4-5 years? Am I wrong to want a second opinion?

Finding a used NRS frame in the 20.5 inch size actually seems reasonably easy...so that isn't my primary concern. I am now more concerned with making sure I actually have the right size frame for my body...to keep me comfortable and able to tolerate long rides without muscle aches and pain. Any input for me? Thanks guys/gals...I appreciate it.

I'll start another thread too, since I realize I have completely switched topics here.
Don't bother starting another thread. It's still related. ;)

I'm 6'4". I rode a 20.5" NRS for the first half of last year. Mixed review from me about frame size. Something that i've been harping about lately is the fact that many frame manufacturers don't spec a tall enough headtube on their larger sizes. I was hunched over with rounded shoulders on that frame. It was long enough, but not "tall enough", if you know what I mean.

I'm getting ready to sell that frame now. I have a frame here that suits my fit needs much better. I won't miss the poor fit. Not one bit.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
I've raced/ridden both 18.5 and 20.5" NRSs since 02(still have them) at 5'-11.5" tall. I prefer the 18.5", which is still in service atm, as a trainer only bike.

I have an 03 20.5 NRS1(black, disc only) I'd sell less the shock(yes your shock will work)...cheap. Its fine mechanically. PM me if'n your interested. I can send pics.

ps.-that looks like an 02. Does it have the hydro-formed section at the front of the top-tube where it meets the steertube?

Duck

_

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm 6'2" and ride an 18.5" NRS and am very happy. It's well balanced and I've got enough leg room. I do have a fairly long stem, but it is the one that came on the bike new. There's a fair amount of seatpost showing but it's still under the limit. I prefer the smallest frame I can be comfortable on and I'm comfortable on my 18.5" NRS.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Hope the shop pointed out that if you have a Shimano Alivio crank you do not have an Isis bottom bracket as 80z28s6 advised. Your bike isn't spec'd for a bottom bracket, your crank is (the 68mm width of the bottom bracket shell appears to be correct, but the spindle length will depend on your crank and chainline). Check www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html for bottom bracket details based on crankset...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you very much for the reply...this one is especially nice to see. I really do want to enjoy this bike, and will be giving it a chance. When I go pick it up tomorrow they will spend a bit more time on fitment with me, and perhaps I can learn of some ways to maximize the fit on this particular frame (saddle placement, stem length/rise, etc.). :)

meloh1 said:
I'm 6'2" and ride an 18.5" NRS and am very happy. It's well balanced and I've got enough leg room. I do have a fairly long stem, but it is the one that came on the bike new. There's a fair amount of seatpost showing but it's still under the limit. I prefer the smallest frame I can be comfortable on and I'm comfortable on my 18.5" NRS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I'm very happy to say that they did, and they even brought out the different bottom brackets for me to see the difference in how the crank arms bolt to them. The shop tech actually chuckled when I asked if it was spec'd for Isis style bottom bracket and I could see why when he actually got one out to show me. I had never seen the Isis style before, so it was a good thing for me to see in person.

Tomorrow I go to pick up the bike, and it's tuned up and ready for battle. But is the rider? ;)

Bikinfoolferlife said:
Hope the shop pointed out that if you have a Shimano Alivio crank you do not have an Isis bottom bracket as 80z28s6 advised. Your bike isn't spec'd for a bottom bracket, your crank is (the 68mm width of the bottom bracket shell appears to be correct, but the spindle length will depend on your crank and chainline). Check www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html for bottom bracket details based on crankset...

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey,
those cranks are unfortunately the original ones. i worked at a giant dealer in 02 and dealt with them all the time. i'm pretty sure they are actually produced by SR Suntour and just claimed by giant. they are obviously on a square tapered bottom bracket so you would have to upgrade that with new cranks if you went to something splined. on the seatpost its
27.2 like the specs say. you have to go with this diameter and keep the shim in place. giant will void your warranty if you remove the shim and go with a larger diameter seat tube. this is due to frame strength issues, meaning without the shim you compromise the frame strength at the seatpost collar. i own an 02 nrs and have done mucho work and upgrades on it, so i would be happy to answer any more questions you have.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, thanks for replying.

I was actually quite surprised when the tech said that he thought that it was a Shimano Alivio crankset, because Shimano is pretty good about putting their name on everything and this crank doesn't say Shimano anywhere on it. It makes a lot of sense what you're saying, and I also appreciate the information about the seatpost.

I just purchased a 20.5" Giant NRS C1 carbon frameset for my bike, and plan to swap over my existing components (minus crankset) to the new frame. I got a pretty great deal on the frame, and it has a brand new front triangle and upgraded rear shock. Can you tell me if the seatpost situation is especially relevant to the carbon frame?

Thanks a lot for your help, and I would definitely like some additional help/advice concerning how to setup the new frame, particularly with the suspension. Thanks again! :)

Markbikenrs said:
hey,
those cranks are unfortunately the original ones. i worked at a giant dealer in 02 and dealt with them all the time. i'm pretty sure they are actually produced by SR Suntour and just claimed by giant. they are obviously on a square tapered bottom bracket so you would have to upgrade that with new cranks if you went to something splined. on the seatpost its
27.2 like the specs say. you have to go with this diameter and keep the shim in place. giant will void your warranty if you remove the shim and go with a larger diameter seat tube. this is due to frame strength issues, meaning without the shim you compromise the frame strength at the seatpost collar. i own an 02 nrs and have done mucho work and upgrades on it, so i would be happy to answer any more questions you have.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.