Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fork that is claimed on the techno blurb to have 100mm of travel, but I can only seem to get 70 or 80mm. I have wound out the preload to its mininum and it didn't help.
It is a Marzocchi MZ race. How can I soften it up and get the travel.
Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
green said:
I have a fork that is claimed on the techno blurb to have 100mm of travel, but I can only seem to get 70 or 80mm. I have wound out the preload to its mininum and it didn't help.
It is a Marzocchi MZ race. How can I soften it up and get the travel.
Thanks
I had a similar question about the lack of travel with my new Marathon S but learned from the knowledgeable guys here on mtbr that the oil height in the fork affects the amount of travel you get. Marzocchi seems to ship thier new forks with too much oil. By reducing the oil height, you should gain some more travel. I also learned that if you are a light weight rider, the stock spring may be too hard. You should check out this site by bikerx40. It helped me understand about fork oil height better. http://myweb.cableone.net/rkindig/marz_marathon_s.html

Hope this helps.
Nuts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no oil

I asked someone else about the fork and they said it didn't have oil damping, but the spring could be the problem.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
green said:
I asked someone else about the fork and they said it didn't have oil damping, but the spring could be the problem.
The website lists it having a coil/mcu damper. I think you'd need a softer spring? Have you added any preload? You might back that out a little, see how it affects the travel. If you don't have any on, you'll need a diff spring. I think they're about $40 or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts