Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I started riding cross country back around 1998 and continued through 2002 and then I lost interest due to the lack of trails in my area. Having recently discovered some local trails, I've resparked the love for mountain biking. I've fixed up the Trek a bit and I've been out twice.

I've been having a lot of problems with stamina, fatigue, and even nausea. First, I'll say that I am a little out of shape. I weight about 185 (I'm around 6ft). Also, over the past 4 years, I haven't really made too much effort to exercise. I do basic stretches before I ride and I usually go about 1-2 hours after eating a small meal. The biggest problems I've been facing include extreme fatigue and nausea. For some reason, when I ride I generally get pretty sick to my stomach. The trail I ride is about 4.5 miles long and I usually take liquids after the ride but the first two rides were plagued with a sour stomach and loss of breath. When I rode 4 years ago, I almost never faced problems like this. I understand that the above factors would contribute to the problem, but I'm wondering how I can get back into the swing of things. What kind of preparation / warm up do you guys recommend? Is there a reason why I'm getting easily nauseated? Does anyone else experience nausea?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions regarding the above topic. Thanks in advance!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Something's wrong there

I'm sure no doctor, but are you driving your heart rate too high by hammering the ride?

Puking is normal for racers who push waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy over the limits, but for you I'd suggest a quick trip to a sports doctor for a checkup.

Everyone's different: for me, it takes 30-45 minutes of hard climbing to drop into a nice groove and not feel fatigued. Others I ride with pedal up the damn hill with no apparent effort - I hope they eat worms and die. (j/k)

I can beat fatigue with a PB and J sandwich on a ride (carbs/protein/sugar), and you might try to take a sport drink, but they're all just mostly sugar and marketing. A 4.5 M ride shouldn't be doing you in.

Anyhow, check it out medically.

Good luck, Jim

·
bikes are people too
372 Posts
I've just been getting back into riding myself... usually I wake up relatively early, eat a bowl of cereal and some orange juice, and bring a cliff bar with me for the ride. If you are staying out for 1-2 hours, this should hold you over. To me, it's sort of like the same as weight lifting... you don't want to eat too much, but you need a little something in your stomach for sure. Let us know, good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.