Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here familiar with the aftermarket spring kits for the old Judy XC forks (ca 1997-1998)? I have a very old Slingshot bike that has a 1" steerer tube (thus unable to upgrade forks), so I need to do something with the existing Judy fork. Ride quality isn't too critical- it's only a backup bike. I saw some Risse Gem damper cartridges and Kronos spring kits listed on ebay (around $100 for the cartridge and $30 for the springs)- any experience with these?

Alternately, if anyone knows of a decent 1" steerer fork available today (ebay or otherwise), please let me know. Just can't bear to part with my old Slingshot. Thanks.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
If its a 1995-1997, then upgrading to full springs is a nice upgrade...the 1998 used full springs so an upgrade is not needed. The Risse Gem damper is a nice upgrade as well for the 1995-1997 forks.

There are no current quality 1" suspension forks, though I believe you might still be able to get Marzocchi to press a 1" steer tube into their XC forks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was hoping I could still salvage my old beast. The stock elastomers are totally shot (crumbly mess). How difficult are the aftermarket parts to install? Is there any specifics I need to know about the fork before I buy these springs and cartridges?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
First make sure of the year, here is what the 1997 Judy XC looked like

If its set at 63mm (most '97 XC's were) then you just need the springs and the damper. If you want to increase travel get the 75mm damper and dummy shaft.

Here is a 1996 manual, its pretty strait forward to remove the old parts and install the new ones

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
I used the Kronos spring kit in my '96 Judy XC long travel (75mm), and the fork works better now than it did 14 years ago when I first bought the bike.

The manual should help in tearing down and reassembling it. It is a long, tedious task to clean out all of the crumbs from the Elastomers, but in the end it 's worth it.

That said, these forks are so crude that I would not recommend spending any more than just the $30 for the spring kit. Anything beyond that should be spent on simply replacing the fork with something better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'm pretty sure mine is a 1997- it uses the crappy elastomers (which are crumbling away). I also see that someone on Ebay is offering a rebuilt Marzocchi Bomber Z2 for around 130. Is it worth going this route or just upgrade the existing fork with the springs and possibly cartridge? Also, my current Judy is a 1" threaded stem- I will need to change the headset anyways so would there be any advantage at all to going to a 1" threadless setup? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I know its been ages since anyone posted on this thread, but I saw one of the cream and red Judys for sale on ebay the other day in mint condition for $80 and I was wondering if they are worth buying for a mid 90s Bontrager Race Lite frame... I was wondering if, at 65mm travel they are shorter/smaller from axle to crown than, say, a late 90s Marzocchi Bomber z2 (which is 435mm/17in AtoC). I ask bc my Bonty is a M frame and has a tiny (390mm/15in AtoC) Specialized FSX Future Shock on there now and the Marzocchi would raise the front end a full two inches. My options are further limited by 1" steerer tube on the Bonty.. the Judy I saw had a 1".

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Hey I know its been ages since anyone posted on this thread, but I saw one of the cream and red Judys for sale on ebay the other day in mint condition for $80 and I was wondering if they are worth buying for a mid 90s Bontrager Race Lite frame... I was wondering if, at 65mm travel they are shorter/smaller from axle to crown than, say, a late 90s Marzocchi Bomber z2 (which is 435mm/17in AtoC). I ask bc my Bonty is a M frame and has a tiny (390mm/15in AtoC) Specialized FSX Future Shock on there now and the Marzocchi would raise the front end a full two inches. My options are further limited by 1" steerer tube on the Bonty.. the Judy I saw had a 1".
If you're building a retro bike, then go for it. But if you want to ride it the Z2 is a better option.

Is the FSX the judy based carbon one? Someone I spoke to last week was looking to buy one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No Dougal, it's not one of the black carbon ones... those look pretty slick. I'm gonna try the Marz Z2 and see if it totally messes with the geometry. Those medium Bonty frames are just so micro, but I've looked at a ton of pics online and some of them look to have pretty beefy shocks on them so I'm thinking it might handle the Z2... or maybe "praying" is what I'm doing :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Each inch of additional A-C height will slacken the frame angles by about 1 degree and will also raise the bottom bracket by about 1/2 the A-C change. In my opinion, adding a 2" taller fork will cause a fairly big change to the geometry and handeling, you would probably be better off with a shorter fork to better match the frame geometry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks GrayJay,

I think I found another solution - I have the original Bontrager Race fork that came with my large (17") '93 Race Lite and it looks (from other forum posts) and measures (1" diameter legs) like I can fit/bolt that crown onto some Rock Shox Mag 21 forks (which also measure 1") and voila I should have a perfect Bonty fork that is about 400mm AtoC which would only raise the front end of my medium (15") Bonty 10mm or .3 inches/.3 degrees. I will post again if it works. Thanks! John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.