Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a package from Chain Reaction and they didn't send me what I was expecting. The hoses came connected to the caliper end but not the lever. The lever end seems to have the bolt and olive already installed along with a yellow rubber plug in the lever with the end of the cable having a pre-installed connecter. The connecter is sealed though. I'm guessing I have to somehow poke the sealed end open, insert cable through the bolt and olive and tighten. The system already has oil in it. Perhaps it is designed to break the seal once I tighten the bolt but then I wonder were the excess material ends up. I don't want to do anything without being sure. I have included photos if anyone cares to advise.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Cobba. These are similar to the instructions that came with the brakes. My situation is difference in that they didn't supply me with the connector pin or spare olive. It is almost as if they took apart a system and plugged the ends to keep the oil in place. They sent no instructions other than those similar to what you have posted and I have scoured the internet for any hint of this situation and can't find anything. I will eventually sort out the cable length.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Interesting, I am expecting a set of XTs myself. I will report back if situation is the same. I do have to shorten the hoses on mine plus I will install them moto style.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
This is news to me, thanks for posting this. If I got it like that I would've been thoroughly confused. So to shorten the hose, one must get another "special seal" then? No need for olive, and I'm assuming those "special seals" are one-time use only - somehow punctures to let the oil flow perhaps...?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Worked fine on the back brake. I screwed up the front though by not making sure I inserted the cable all the way before tightening the bolt. Oil went everywhere when I squeezed the lever for the 1st time. It was either that or I somehow damaged the olive when I loosened and tightened the bolt trying to figure out what the hell I was working with (previous to video). Now I have a mangled olive.

hatake. To answer your question I think you can cut these cables, you just have to have a spare olive and insert like usual.

·
Magically Delicious
9,883 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just popping in to say my order from CR came the exact same way. Very annoying.

I ordered 1 front and 1 rear, had to cut both of course. Only 1 spare olive and barb included...so it left me stuck. Really lame.

·
Magically Delicious
9,883 Posts
Just popping in to say my order from CR came the exact same way. Very annoying.

I ordered 1 front and 1 rear, had to cut both of course. Only 1 spare olive and barb included...so it left me stuck. Really lame.
I realize CR can have some good deals, but at what cost? There seems to be many inconsistences in product that comes from them. Particularly in those I hear that have purchased brakes. With or without brake lines attached, short levers or long levers, some with olives and some without. I’m personally not going there because of this. I’ll pay a few dollars more and deal with a domestic dealer.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
mine came recently from CRC just fine, spare olive and insert for each. Realistically, no issue with them not being connected especially if you have to cut hoses/ change sides. It is very very easy to do

·
Registered
35 Posts
I realize CR can have some good deals, but at what cost? There seems to be many inconsistences in product that comes from them. Particularly in those I hear that have purchased brakes. With or without brake lines attached, short levers or long levers, some with olives and some without. I’m personally not going there because of this. I’ll pay a few dollars more and deal with a domestic dealer.
This was my first order with CR, and I was a little hesitant due to a very few odd reports I read. Compared to the overwhelming positive reports I went for it.

If I could do it again I would of stayed local. I was nailed with almost $100 in taxes and broker fees since CBSA decided to use a 1.8 conversion rate on what was already a Canadian dollar invoice. Basically I was taxed as if it was double the price. Now I've blindly sent in a form hoping they correct it...first and last CR order for me.

·
Magically Delicious
9,883 Posts
Realistically, no issue with them not being connected especially if you have to cut hoses/ change sides. It is very very easy to do
Yeah, it is easy, but with the brake lines disconnected, you're likely to require a full bleed as opposed to just expanding brake pucks and resetting thus not requiring a bleed. A full bleed would require adding brake fluid where just shortening the brake lines you can get by without any additional effort or fluid.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just got a new XT brakeset from Chain Reaction and it came with the hose attached to the caliper and master cylinder, and it came with the new olive and insert as well as the line clamping tool (to help pound the insert into the line after you cut it) and it came with the brake pad spacer. Maybe I just got lucky?
View attachment 891556

1 - 17 of 17 Posts