Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know what handlebar mounted "switch" this is? Man I want to hook something like this up on my Anthem X 29er. I was pointed to youtube and found this.

RP23 remote, homemade, DIY. - YouTube

Due to a mostly XC terrain here in Missouri I just leave propedal on and ride. Well I entered my first race this past Sunday. The course was down in the river bluff area with a good climb up a steep gravel road to spread out the pack. It then ran onto the tight single track, which starts at the top of a hill with a nice downhill run through the trees, and then with a nice climb out.

On the downhill section running faster then usual I was wishing I could have that full suspension working under me. Reaching down by my feet while racing to switch the Propedal off was not a good idea at the time. So I called Fox earlier this week to check on the remote kit for my RP2.....their answer - I need to buy a whole new shock that is remote ready. Not gonna happen.

So now I want to make a setup like this without using the shock air valve. I've found some kits that were for sale a few years ago but not at the present. So now it's time for some rigging. Thanks for any help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
The lever on the handle bars is called a poploc I found it on eBay. It's made by rock shox.
The spring is easy and the thing on the end of the cable is called a cable knarp.

The isse I'm having is finding the piece that screws on to the valve. Best I can figure it's the end of some shock pump. I just don't know which one. This has been driving me crazy and I've been looking for this piece for weeks. I've even gone as far as emailing the guy that posted the video with no reply.

Does anyone know what that piece is exactly? :madman::madman:

Let's work on this and crack this mystery!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I was thinking that the X29er I rode tonight (test ride) needed a remote lever to switch propedal on and off. Post for the bump.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
...The isse I'm having is finding the piece that screws on to the valve. Best I can figure it's the end of some shock pump. I just don't know which one. This has been driving me crazy and I've been looking for this piece for weeks. I've even gone as far as emailing the guy that posted the video with no reply.
What about these? I google'd "bicycle schrader valve spinner cap". I haven't done a detailed look through on the hit results, but I did see this:

Purely Custom Online Store - Schrader Valve Stem Caps and Schrader Spinner Valve Stem Caps - Custom Mountain Bicycle Accessories

·
Registered
17 Posts
What about these? I google'd "bicycle schrader valve spinner cap". I haven't done a detailed look through on the hit results, but I did see this:

Purely Custom Online Store - Schrader Valve Stem Caps and Schrader Spinner Valve Stem Caps - Custom Mountain Bicycle Accessories
I've seen these but think they would be too flimsy to run the cable thogh. On the other hand I do believe I figured it out. I'm waiting for all the parts in the mail and will build a prototype. Once successfull I'll post a video if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Post the video when you're done.

I did find something in my LBS that will work and is sturdy enough for the job:

Topeak® Cycling Accessories

You'd just have to remove the longer part of the assembly, leaving over a shrader valve that has a spin component to it. The cable stop can actually go right where the longer part of the assembly would be removed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Post the video when you're done.

I did find something in my LBS that will work and is sturdy enough for the job:

Topeak® Cycling Accessories

You'd just have to remove the longer part of the assembly, leaving over a shrader valve that has a spin component to it. The cable stop can actually go right where the longer part of the assembly would be removed.
I've seen that part. Didn't think the valve had a spin to it. The parts I used were very cheap. About 7 do dollars for everything but the poploc

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I've seen that part. Didn't think the valve had a spin to it. The parts I used were very cheap. About 7 do dollars for everything but the poploc
We took the piece out of the package at the LBS and verified that the cap part has a separate spinning attachment to it....but it was $14. $7 sounds better than $14 to me!

When do you think you'll be done? I'm picking up my Anthem in a week and this is one of the first things I want to do to the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok here is what I'm using for the valve adapter.
1. I got this piece at home depot. I couldn't find the exact one online but here is one that is larger.
You will need a 3/16th diameter fitting.
3/8 in. Plastic Delrin Compression Sleeve with Brass Insert-A-107 at The Home Depot

2. The other piece is just a simple valve cap. I used ones I found at the local automotive store.
http://www.truevalue.com/product/Auto-Truck-RV/Auto-Accessories/Tire-Repair-Kits/8-Piece-Chrome-Cap-Sleeve/pc/2/c/29/sc/313/25140.uts

So all you have to do is drill a 3/16th hole in the valve cap and insert the fitting. This essentially makes a chuck that spins around the fitting. All you do now is drill the appropriate hole to fit the cable for the poploc that you get.

I think that pretty much covers it.
Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts