Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and I couldn't find a answer. I'm trying to mount a juicy 7 to a homegrown with a 22mm chainstay mount. It would be deluxe if i can find a post to 22 mount. But i've been unable to do so. If possible, I can mill one. Using my eyeball caliper, it doesn't seem to be enough room. Someone out there must have the answer(no, I don't want to replace the frame. I sold my '01 homegrown(with I.S. mount) and I regreted it enough to buy the one I have now. Besides having this stupid mount, it's an ugly orange. but rides like a champ...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hayes makes a 22mm caliper, but that is probaly not what you want to hear. What your probaly looking for is the adapter. Most likely you won't be able to find and adapter for a 22mm post mount. It think that the only company to make a 22mm fit in-between the chainstay and the seatstay is Hayes. If you end up going hayes and looking for that caliper good luck finding one....They are super hard to find.

SPAM----I have a 22mm hayes caliper half just sitting around. I could sell it to you E-mail me.

Wyrm

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Hayes still offers the 22 mm mount caliper. You will need the Hayes lever, too.

Hope use to make one.

There are 22mm-IS adaptors though there is usually not enough room for the caliper inside the rear triangle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shiggy said:
Hayes still offers the 22 mm mount caliper. You will need the Hayes lever, too.
why will i need the hayes lever? are the pistons too different in size? will i either have too much or no modulation if i use the avid lever? anyone have a '01 or '02 17" homegrown frame laying around? preferably in ano black of course.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
nick novice said:
why will i need the hayes lever? are the pistons too different in size? will i either have too much or no modulation if i use the avid lever? anyone have a '01 or '02 17" homegrown frame laying around? preferably in ano black of course.
Because hydro calipers and levers are not cross-compatible between brands. Many are not even compatible between models of the same brand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiggy said:
Because hydro calipers and levers are not cross-compatible between brands. Many are not even compatible between models of the same brand.
that still doesn't tell me why. piston diameter is the only reason i can think of that some may not work well together. anything else?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
nick novice said:
that still doesn't tell me why. piston diameter is the only reason i can think of that some may not work well together. anything else?
The calipers and levers are designed specifically to work together. Bicycle discs have a very narrow operating range. Very small differences can make huge changes in preformance.
There is no design/spec "standard". Sort of why you can not use Magura pads in Avid calipers.

Also some systems use DOT brake fluid and some use mineral oil. Each requires a different seal and can not be mixed.

Try mixing if you insist. In the long run you will probably spend more and have questionable results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone actually tried any of this. I just bought a pair of Hayes 9 and am awaiting their arrival so I can slap them on the ol Tomato Bike.

To run a 6" caliper, do I need to have the adapter? Can I just mount the caliper directly to the chain stay?

Glad to see some other Homegrown loyalist!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unless you have an old 22mm caliper, i don't think you'll find squat to mount to a homegrown chain stay. i'm fabbing a I.S. mount today. i made a jig and my father-in-law is going to TIG it in place. it's slightly risky as he's not a frame welder. but he can weld some thin materials. he's got skills when he throws the mask on. my fingers are crossed.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
nick novice said:
unless you have an old 22mm caliper, i don't think you'll find squat to mount to a homegrown chain stay. i'm fabbing a I.S. mount today. i made a jig and my father-in-law is going to TIG it in place. it's slightly risky as he's not a frame welder. but he can weld some thin materials. he's got skills when he throws the mask on. my fingers are crossed.
How are you going to re-heat treat the frame?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shiggy said:
How are you going to re-heat treat the frame?
i'm going to ride it until the rear triangle falls off. then i am going to give the frame to a homeless person to sell for scrap. my father-in-law said that once we sink it and wet wrap it, it won't transfer much heat.

·
Don't touch me!
774 Posts
This may be a little late, but A2Z makes an adapter that fits over the dropouts (I'm currently using one). They also make the adapter pictured above. Brake Therapy also makes a good looking adapter that mounts to the dropout and canti boss.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
beeristasty said:
This may be a little late, but A2Z makes an adapter that fits over the dropouts (I'm currently using one). They also make the adapter pictured above. Brake Therapy also makes a good looking adapter that mounts to the dropout and canti boss.
i've seen those. but i'm going for a solid mount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts