Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I sold my Santa Cruz Tallboy LT. Why? Because it was time to try a new bike. Of course that I am not the first one asking for advice on this topic of 27.5 vs 29, but I am really having issues about it.

I bought a Yeti SB75 with delivery date by the end of April. I was not able to test the bike or any bike in 27.5, so that's why I am struggling with the decision.

There are mixed reviews of 27.5, so that's even more confusing. I will be moving soon to FL where the trails are mainly flat, but I'll be traveling to some other states for riding in the future.
What was boring on the Tallboy LT was that I was able to ride over everything, which at the same time was fun. I also cannot forget how much fun I had on my Stumpjumper FSR 26 before switching to the 29er, so that's something that makes me go back to the smaller wheel size. (26 is out of the equation, so please don't even bother on commenting on that).

I would like to have honest, real and simple opinions of people how ride or rode both wheel sizes, but not just on a DEMO or in a parking lot.
I don't really care about geometry and wheel footprint science crap explanations!

I would appreciate your feedback!

Thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you loved 29, you wouldn't have sold the tallboy, right? I like my Anthem 29er for the rollover, smoother ride with less travel. lbs mechanics were raving about the new Specialized enduro 29er with its short chainstays. To me the smaller wheels aren't better, just funner to ride, more flickable. My Trance 26er is still my favorite ride.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
What was boring on the Tallboy LT was that I was able to ride over everything, which at the same time was fun.
Well, you could buy a bike that can't ride over everything. That way it will be exciting and at the same time not fun.

You're not making any sense at all. If you're moving to Florida, a hardtail 29er would make more sense.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Personally I think newer riders would and will love 29ers. A lot of guys who road 26ers for years will hop on one as I did and say wtf. Its just a whole different ballgame. My Anthem is my second 29er, actually swearing off of them after the first. I love it, it's a great bike, but definitely not a hucking machine. I also new what to expect as it was my 2nd 29er. Bigger wheels, longer wheel base, it's like a freight train. My Trance 26er has a much slacker head angle, shorter ass, all in all, funner to ride, as will most 650b's. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the yeti.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I think newer riders would and will love 29ers. A lot of guys who road 26ers for years will hop on one as I did and say wtf. Its just a whole different ballgame. My Anthem is my second 29er, actually swearing off of them after the first. I love it, it's a great bike, but definitely not a hucking machine. I also new what to expect as it was my 2nd 29er. Bigger wheels, longer wheel base, it's like a freight train. My Trance 26er has a much slacker head angle, shorter ass, all in all, funner to ride, as will most 650b's. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the yeti.
Thanks again for your comment. I would probably wait for the Yeti and see what all this 27.5 boom is all about. I'll keep looking for a demo anyways.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, you could buy a bike that can't ride over everything. That way it will be exciting and at the same time not fun.

You're not making any sense at all. If you're moving to Florida, a hardtail 29er would make more sense.
I know that some stuff doesn't make sense, maybe I need a psychiatrist instead of a new bike.
I'm done with hardtails! I started riding hardtails 26 back in the 90's and I had enough. If I want to ride a hardtail, I'll borrow one from one of my buddies.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,282 Posts
it's not difficult to find bikes from either of those wheel sizes anymore, so you can try them out. might not be the exact bike you're looking for but you can try enough that you can decide whether you like the wheel size or not. Shouldn't be too hard to find a Giant dealer with a few 27.5's in stock, or something in 29er flavor from most other brands. Some brands - gasp - make the same bike with either wheel size if you want. Might just be able to find a dealer that stocks both wheel sizes for a particular bike so you can do a true apples to apples comparison.

order a bike sight unseen and untested, and you're going to get the kind of uncertainty you're having.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can't compare bikes strictly on wheel sizes. The geometry is going to have a huge role in how "fun" your bike is. Based on reviews of the sb66, sb75, and the sb95 (to keep frame style relatively consistent), I believe the sb75 ranks lower than the other two (see bikemag YouTube bible of bike reviews and vital review).

Like the above post mentioned, you'll only have it for a year, so why does it matter?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fact that I have a bike for a year doesn't mean that have no right no make some research in order to buy a good bike.
I saw that review and IMO they are not reviewing the bike, they are comparing it to the SB95 and the SB66, which as you know, different geometry will affect the fun factor, and also all those bikes have different wheel size, so that review has no value to me. They didn't even compare the SB75 to other 27.5.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I rode classic steel ht; quick and light. The idea of the larger wheel/better roll was interesting but I didn't want the floppy feel of the 29. When the 27.5 started to show itself I was interested but there weren't many around.

The Anthem Advance 1 appealed to me but I could only test it in alloy. I rode a 29 SpotOne/Rohlof/belt drive. Sweet bike but didn't like the acceleration. Same with a $6200 Stumpy 29, but I liked the XC geo. Tried a Liteville 301 converted to 650. A beauty but too AM. A friend loaned me his Tallboy Carbon 29er, full Xt. I rode it hard for 5 long rides. There is nothing stupid about that machine, for sure.

But when I got on the Anthem 27.5 I was sold. It had the same geometry as the Tallboy but was quicker and lighter and more agile.

4 months later...24 lbs, XT, full carbon. I love it.

·
Registered
15,139 Posts
^^^ This
Shows how much effort and what you get if you put the time into finding what works for you on your terrain.
And there is no reason it would be the same bike on your Florida trails.
Doing some demo days once you get to Florida will do a lot more towards finding the right ride.
Don't skip hard tails. Trek's Superfly has ride compliance equal to a Fuel Ex with more trail feel.
And very quick geo.
Maybe for next year.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, I was typing on a phone so I kept it pithy.

My point was that all of the bikes you seem to be considering are proven, so it's not a matter of whether it will be good or not, it's a matter of wheel size preference. If I got a new bike every year I would want to try a 27.5 if I never had before, especially knowing that it was a decision that only impacted one season of riding. That's a nice luxury to have.

In reality, there may be several other variables about the particular bike you choose that cause differences that are important to you, regardless of wheel size.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
What's the point of people trying to be smart asses? If you don't like my post, please stop making useless comments. I will not reply to stupid comments anymore.
Please keep in mind that threads about wheel size rank up there with those about riding with a weapon, riding with earbuds, and smoking the weed in terms of stirring the pot, so to speak. You're bound to get some interesting replies.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.