Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
Shayne said:
What kind of Manitou is this? Pros? Cons?

Its on a bike I'm contemplating buying.

Thanks in Advance.
Well, it's really hard to see in that picture, but it looks like a Mach 5, maybe painted? I don't recall ever seeing a blue one, but the dropouts, crown, brake arch profile and boots look a little like the old Mach 5.

Pros? none that I'm aware of. Cons? heavy, too much stiction, inferior damping, umm...there's probably more. Oh, yeah. The damping cartridge in my room-mates self-destructed after less than a month. Sorry.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Custom Painted By Frame Builder

Yeah, I was thinking it looked like a Mach 5 but having never owned one or had someone I know own one I wasnt really sure.

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
P.S.: HOW could I forget this!

Stick said:
Well, it's really hard to see in that picture, but it looks like a Mach 5, maybe painted? I don't recall ever seeing a blue one, but the dropouts, crown, brake arch profile and boots look a little like the old Mach 5.

Pros? none that I'm aware of. Cons? heavy, too much stiction, inferior damping, umm...there's probably more. Oh, yeah. The damping cartridge in my room-mates self-destructed after less than a month. Sorry.
There was a recall of Mach 5s. Manitou recalled thousands of them.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml96/96114.html

·
Registered
508 Posts
it's actually..

That's actually a 97 Ti SX, you can tell because it has the red and black adjuster knobs on top, the 95 Mach 5 had yellow and black.

the sx ti wasn't much better, still had the crappy cartridge. if the frame is nice enough you should definetly replace it. rigid fork would be way better.

over and out
nate

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree, looks like a repainted SX ti to me. While we're identifying forks, anyone know what this is?

cursivearmy said:
That's actually a 97 Ti SX, you can tell because it has the red and black adjuster knobs on top, the 95 Mach 5 had yellow and black.

the sx ti wasn't much better, still had the crappy cartridge. if the frame is nice enough you should definetly replace it. rigid fork would be way better.

over and out
nate

Attachments

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
farley325 said:
I agree, looks like a repainted SX ti to me. While we're identifying forks, anyone know what this is?
Yeah that's a repainted RST Hi-5, which btw, was also recalled for some reason I can't recall, but generally, like many CPSC enforced recalls, was the result of moronic americans forgetting to maintain their items (like check that the crown bolts and QR are tight before riding).

·
Registered
508 Posts
maybe

that looks like a RST mozo something or other double clamp. they used those adjuster knobs for sure.

other than that. no specific model, but an RST.

over and out
nate

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
DeeEight said:
was the result of moronic americans forgetting to maintain their items (like check that the crown bolts and QR are tight before riding).
Just when I thought that maybe you weren't a complete douche-bag after all, you go and prove me wrong with this pot-stirring B.S.

F#$% you, Upie. Go back to your snurfling.

With love from the States...

Attachments

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
broos said:
I heard about that RST recall - it was actually caused by canuck riders who thought the government was responsible to tighten the bolts for them.

heh heh
no see...that's part of the conspiracy of the CPSC... they wouldn't actually tell americans (CPSC is a US organization) to do maintenance or tighten something themselves because americans citizens are never personally liable or responsible for anything right? Its always big business's fault. Its the same way the US Federal Government wouldn't pass a national seatbelt law and instead brought in that "passive restraint" law a decade ago, that put airbags or automatic shoulder seatbelts in all new cars.

Canada has a similar organization, but our citizens are smart enought to tighten bolts and seatbelts and the like on its own. We just like to be told when car seats for infants and baby strollers are a hazard to our children (and thus should be recalled). The irony there is that the USA often sells such baby seats, strollers, clothing (which canadian tests found to be highly flammable) for years after they're recalled from canadian stores and consumers.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
A bit off topic aren't we?

I can take some ribbing at the expense of the US...we're flawed for sure....but Canada ain't that perfect.

I have to admit these pot shots from both sides are pretty damn funny...but can we get back to the topic at hand so I don't have to lock this thread!

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
DeeEight said:
no see...that's part of the conspiracy of the CPSC... they wouldn't actually tell americans (CPSC is a US organization) to do maintenance or tighten something themselves because americans citizens are never personally liable or responsible for anything right? Its always big business's fault. Its the same way the US Federal Government wouldn't pass a national seatbelt law and instead brought in that "passive restraint" law a decade ago, that put airbags or automatic shoulder seatbelts in all new cars.

Canada has a similar organization, but our citizens are smart enought to tighten bolts and seatbelts and the like on its own. We just like to be told when car seats for infants and baby strollers are a hazard to our children (and thus should be recalled). The irony there is that the USA often sells such baby seats, strollers, clothing (which canadian tests found to be highly flammable) for years after they're recalled from canadian stores and consumers.
You are right. This country is nothing but idiots. All of us down here wish we had brains like you guys up north. Dang.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually I Think His Point is Pretty Valid

Fillet-brazed said:
You are right. This country is nothing but idiots. All of us down here wish we had brains like you guys up north. Dang.
As a whole we Americans have a "its not my fault, someome else is to blame" attitude for pretty much everything.

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
Speak for yourself.

Shayne said:
As a whole we Americans have a "its not my fault, someome else is to blame" attitude for pretty much everything.
Generalizations and stereotypes suck, and saying anything about 'Americans as a whole' is pointless. You can't possibly speak for, or about, 250,000,000+ people, 99.9992%+ of whom you've likely never met.

DeeEight's comments serve only to stir the sh!t and showcase his ignorance of and contempt for all things American (except maybe Trimbles).

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Yes, Im all too aware of our legal system's faults and disadvantages which only encourages that mentallity, but what Im responding to is this:

"Canada has a similar organization, but our citizens are smart enought to tighten bolts and seatbelts and the like on its own. We just like to be told when car seats for infants and baby strollers are a hazard to our children (and thus should be recalled). The irony there is that the USA often sells such baby seats, strollers, clothing (which canadian tests found to be highly flammable) for years after they're recalled from canadian stores and consumers. "

·
Registered
995 Posts
So, I'm just another moron, eh? I guess that clears that up. I thought the pic of stick with his big grin gleaming behind a massive birdie was pretty cartoony and funny. Aparrently some of you were more serious about your personal resentments. It's all yours.
I don't see negativity as being a great attribute that'd make a ton of people want to spend time out of their day here.

fsp

Oh & thanks for the free psyche eval, D8.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.