Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day! Can someone help me identify my DB Frame? I doubt that this is not a legit DB frame because of the Cable insertion. If not, can someone help me identify it then.
Please see attached photos for reference. Some say it's from the 90s.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
331 Posts
I don't know anything about old DBs, but they sure don't look like ferrule holders to me. They have an angled hole that looks designed for a cable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So no chance that someone tried to be clever and create their own internal cable routing.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Man... tough crowd in here. I don't know enough about old Diamond Backs to know if that even is one. Might want to try posting the question in the "Vintage Retro Classic" forum here.

If you do ever find out what its check out VeloCals bicycle decals - Quality, Durable, Ultra-thin for stickers. Doesn't look like they have much for DB, but send them an email and see if they can make what you need.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So no chance that someone tried to be clever and create their own internal cable routing.
**** if I know, but the simplest answer seems to be that they are factory since DB did have top tube cable routing back in the day. Also it looks too nice to be a hack job, but like I said, I know nothing about vintage DBs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Man... tough crowd in here. I don't know enough about old Diamond Backs to know if that even is one. Might want to try posting the question in the "Vintage Retro Classic" forum here.

Agreed.

You could also try retrobike

The fillet-brazed head tube and internal cable routing is curious.

Maybe not a Diamond Back at all?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Routing rear brake cables though the top tube was pretty common for steel road bikes from the mid 80s onward. Cant remember Diamondback ever having this feature on their MTBs but someone could have had them brazed in at some point. Frame does look similar to a late 80s early 90s Ascent.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
no way not a diamondback ascent. I had one...
rear brake cable stop on real vs this totally different

there were no diamond brazed anything on the top tube either.

OP bike frame is a lot fancier than a diamondback ascent

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
no way not a diamondback ascent. I had one...
rear brake cable stop on real vs this totally different

there were no diamond brazed anything on the top tube either.

OP bike frame is a lot fancier than a diamondback ascent
It's weird, because though the top tube brazes/cantilever studs/head tube junctions would agree, the other welds (from what we can see) look very rough.

Maybe someone was practicing brazing on the frame?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It looks to me like the frame was painted red over an original color of yellow. As such, the decals aren't original, and probably not correct.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.