Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has an old Specialized Stumpjumber FS bike. It seems to be in decent shape, no cracks or rust. Deraileurs need some work and the chain rings are beat up pretty bad. Wheels are not true and need some work also. I am trying to determine how old it is. It has a threaded stem and direct pull cantiliever brakes. Components are all Deore LX. Any way to identify the age, or any ideas? Also, approx value. It needs some series cleanup and such, and I he is not sure of the value....I would love to get it cheap, but I want to be fair.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think bikes like that should only be about $200 at the most. I assume it has some wheels. It has a very dated fork and it has I think a steel frame and it probably has a 24 speed drive train. I dont think a lot of people would give $50 for the bike. If the guy is a friend he should give it to you. The only reason I said $200 was because its a stumpjumper. The other thing about this bike is the frame size. It looks like its 21.5 inches so I hope you are at least 602 tall. $50 and ride it around town and he has it out of his garage, thats fair.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Well...I'm going to age that at about 1994-1995

Looks like the Japan made cro-mo steel Stumpjumper frame. Excellent frame but more of a collectors item these days. The 1" headtube restricts the use of any modern fork. The fork is a Specialized Future Shock which was made by Rock Shox. It is basically a RS Mag 21 with a few minor modifications. Should you be able to find a rebuild kit (long since out of production, but there are some Mag 21 kits still floating around) it would be possible to resurrect the fork. The travel is most likely 48mm...less than 2" which was the standard at the time. If its a 1994 and the components are stock, then the LX drivetrain would be a 21 speed setup. If its 1995 then its a 24 speed setup...both years LX was black so its hard to tell from the picture.

Nice collectors item, but its value is limited because of its age and 1" headtube.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Its not really collector either, since its not in pristine condition, so the only "used used" bikes VRC collectors want are Bridgestone/Bontrager/Fat Chance etc..

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Not to nitpick, but it's facing the wrong direction, none of the drivetrain parts can bee seen to give a positive year ID. :p

Most things said in the above posts I'd agree with, except for the head tube size. Looks like 1 1/8" to me. Measure the flats on the top headset nut (36mm) or the stem quill (1") to be sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help

It has a 21 speed drive train, but the shifting is crappy. It has wheels but they are not in good shape. Most likely I would take everything off my heavy Ironhorse I use to commute to work on and use this frame as a much lighter commuter bike. Probably not gonna take it off-road much. Might even make a single speed out of it if I can't get the shifting back in order.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You have the right intentions, I think it will be a nice commuter. I have to agree with the others on the $50 cause *he's your friend*. Figure how much you have to spend to make it rideable vs. say a brand new Forge Sawback for $300? Unless you have some spare parts, buying retail will add-up quickly. But if the main interest is the Stumpy on the steel frame then it will be a good winter project.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up giving $50

I was riding an old heavy Ironhorse as my commuter, so the change to the stumpjumper will be nice. I just finised cleaning it up and swapping a few parts from the Ironhorse. All went smooth and I have a much lighter commuter now. The front shocks feel fine for now, so no need to change anything there. So far, only spent the $50, we'll see if I need to spend any more later. Turns out to be a '93 model. After cleaning it up good, I checked the seriel number. Thanks again guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.