Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have found a 26" FS C'dale for sale but neither the seller or I know anything about it. So I'm hoping one of you C'dale experts might know.

TIA
cdale.jpeg

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,103 Posts
'07ish Scalpel Team Replica ?
👽

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Unless they are giving away ,don't bother. The cost of getting the parts will far surpass what you could buy new. You should make a list of the parts you would need to build it ,don't forget either the tools and or labor to build it. A starting list ,fork ,shock, wheels , drivetrain, brakes, shifters, bars, stem , saddle, post, tires, cables, pedals and more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless they are giving away ,don't bother. The cost of getting the parts will far surpass what you could buy new. You should make a list of the parts you would need to build it ,don't forget either the tools and or labor to build it. A starting list ,fork ,shock, wheels , drivetrain, brakes, shifters, bars, stem , saddle, post, tires, cables, pedals and more.
you are right in your assessment about the cost. i've been building bikes from the frame up and wheels from the hub out for more than 20 years. so i am more than aware that it isn't always cost effective to do it that way. my bigger concern with older 26" wheel bikes is finding the parts like decent wheels, tires,etc., not so much the cost. building a bike up from a frame is a hobby for me which i enjoy doing so i justify the cost to my wife by saying, "It's a hobby dear".🙄

·
since 4/10/2009
30,126 Posts
I think the bigger concern for parts will be the rest of the rear triangle, including the tiny shock that bike used to have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the bigger concern for parts will be the rest of the rear triangle, including the tiny shock that bike used to have.
I agree with you and wouldn't consider buying it if the frame wasn't complete. All parts are there and supposedly the frame has never been built up. I suspect only an up close inspection can verify this. One thing that does concern me is a 'soft-tail' with carbon fiber seat stays. Titanium or steel perhaps but I'm a little skeptical about aluminum or carbon fiber soft-tails. I'm pretty much an old guy who doesn't push my limits anymore, but still a carbon soft-tail? I don' know.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,065 Posts
you are right in your assessment about the cost. i've been building bikes from the frame up and wheels from the hub out for more than 20 years. so i am more than aware that it isn't always cost effective to do it that way. my bigger concern with older 26" wheel bikes is finding the parts like decent wheels, tires,etc., not so much the cost. building a bike up from a frame is a hobby for me which i enjoy doing so i justify the cost to my wife by saying, "It's a hobby dear".🙄
If you played your cards right you could build that bike up for next to nothing from this thread alone. >>>Nice parts you have that are pretty well useless now.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,265 Posts
Fine frame if you treat it nicely. I wouldn't worry about the carbon stays, that model went for a long time, and had fairly few issues.

Need the seat stays? I have a NOS pair sitting at the shop....

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,065 Posts
You’re welcome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks to all you replied. missed out on the frame because procrastinated too long trying to make up my mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts