Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
monster member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on an '01 Enduro with rear axle drop-outs that face forward and down at about 45 degrees. I don't think I'll ever buy another bike with that design because I can't get the drive side of the axle to stop creeping forward every time I pedal in too hard a gear.

I've already replaced the quick-release skewer with a bolt on that I thought would bite better, but I think the replaceable hanger keeps it from biting real well.

What about drilling into the frame and threading in a set-screw at a point where the set screw head would just rest against the axle bolt cap? Anyone ever try that for this problem?

Any other ideas for this problem? :madman:

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
This problem is common on those and earlier Enduros. There is a very good thread on this over on the Specialized forum. The design of the dropouts on these models is not unusual as to that angle you're describing. The problem was a combination of factors. The OEM rear skewers were weak. The rear stays on these bikes were flimsy and allow flex to permit the hub to move. I fixed mine by going to an XT-hubbed wheel with a solid steel thru-axle secured by track bike nuts. The flexy rear stay issue didn't get fixed, however, until I went to a complete Risse rear end. If you continue to try to use the OEM stays, get a Shimano hubbed wheel with a solid bolt-on thru-axle will fix it...and use track nuts instead of plain bike axle nuts...saves the aluminum in the dropouts. From what you described, I'm guessing you tried a nut-secued skewer setup rather than the cam setup.

·
monster member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Thanks TNC. :thumbsup: I brought that thread back from the dead and left you a question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts