Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on a 2018 rocky mountain Altitude A50

I am trying to figure out what this sound is, it's not so much a creak as a clicking. It's definitely either the bottom bracket or pedal, it only happens when pedaling under load (up an incline).

It can sound much worse if I'm out of the saddle going up a steeper section but I tried to get it to happen as best I could while recording:

·
Registered
766 Posts
To me, that sounds more like bottom bracket bearings than pedals. I would describe that as more of a cracking sound. Get the chain off the chainring, so you can turn the cranks without the wheel or freewheel turning. I'll bet you'l find very rough B.B. bearings.
If the pedals were making that much noise, you'd know they were the problem by just spinning them.

·
Registered
987 Posts
"Definitely has to be bottom bracket or pedals" was the last thing I said before I realized it want the bottom bracket or pedals...it deceivingly hard to target source of sound while on bike, there's been a few times I thought bottom bracket and found it to be seat post or saddle or a pivot...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.