Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought my first mountain bike yesterday, a trek 4500.
I have not been on a bike since I was like 16, and I am now 26.
I used to ride BMX bikes like Haro, GT, etc. I used to like jumping,going on BMX tracks,stuff like that. Well I thought I was a little less crazy than when I was 16, and I did not test ride the bike yesterday before I bought it, I had read reviews and thought that the trek 4500 was bike enough that it was much better than a wal-mart piece of crap, but not to much that if i didnt like it that much I woundnt lose too much money. Well I loved riding, I was going down pretty big gravel hills , jumping off of curbs, stuff like that, and this was the first time im on a bike since 16 years old. I think I am really going to like riding,however Now I am stuck, I think I want to spend a little more money, I hate the seat first off, and I think the rock shox judy forks are not going to make me very happy, and a brake upgrade would be nice, I would like to stay around 700.00 if i am able to get another bike, But will the bike shop let me return it and upgrade? I mean, I didnt even talk to the owner about it, I was a bit manic about the whole thing. What can I do now? would most bike shops be reasonable about this? Please let me know what I can do, and possible bike upgrades around 700.00 that i could get into, I would like to stick to trek, I dont really have a reason why, but just please let me know what you guys think.

thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Never hurts to try.

I would try to take it back first. If the shop owner knows you want to spend an extra $700 (or do you want to spend $700 total including the price of the 4500) I would think he would be happy to take it back......providing it's not scratched up or damaged. Give it a try.

My son bought a 4500 and rode it for a year before I replaced the RockShox fork for a Marzocchi. He loves that bike now, the fork made a huge difference. The Judy is pretty much junk.

For $250 to $300 you can get a Marzocchi. Anywhere between $30 and $100 you can get a very good saddle.

I think your best bet is to try to exchange it. For $700 dollars you can get much better components and a lighter frame. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Actually the upgrades you'll see from going to a $700 bike won't be all that much. If you want a bike with components that'll make you smile you're going to pay dearly. A good front fork alone is going to cost you upwards of $500. Good brakes are going to run $200. You still don't have a frame, wheels, seatpost, stem, headset, bb, pedals, cranks, drivetrain, etc. So you see how come some bikes run upwards of $1500 very quickly. You get what you pay for.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
I’m kinda with Fred here. Going to a $700 bike will give you a better fork, but not that much better. If the shop won’t let you return it, you can still do fine with that bike. It will stand up to a fair amount of abuse. You could add a good fork to it for about $300 that would probably feel decent to you, but I wouldn’t put too much more into it than that. Ride the wheels off of your Trek while you figure out EXACTLY what type of bike you really want to get in a year or so.

Also, I think most people replace their seat with one that feels good to them. Since you have not ridden a bike for a while, any seat is going to hurt for the first half dozen rides until you develop that "area". Seats are a very subjective thing and you need to find one that feels good to you. It's much more important than a seat on a BMX bike. A MTB seat that feels good to you doesn't have to coat a lot, but it might. Ride the stock one (if you keep the bike) for a month and if it still feels uncomfortable, then think about replacing it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What jeffj said ^

Trek makes a good bike - if you're just now riding after a 10 year hiatus - it shouldn't be too hard to be pleased with whatever it is you have ... and you're not gonna get anything that will knock your socks of for $700.00. Work on conditioning and technical skills and by the time you're ready for more - you'll also have a much better idea of exactly what it is you want/need.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with Juliius,

My first bike was the Trek 4900 and I rode it for 2 years before upgrading to an Epic.

Learn all there is to know about mtn biking before spending alot of money. It's better than spending $$$$ and finding out it doesn't appeal to you.

The only thing I upgraded on the 4900 was the saddle. After 6 months of riding the rails on the saddle began to collapse.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
dkr92886 said:
My first bike was the Trek 4900 and I rode it for 2 years before upgrading to an Epic.

The only thing I upgraded on the 4900 was the saddle. After 6 months of riding the rails on the saddle began to collapse.

QUOTE]

I'm in almost the same situation as you. I have a 2-year old 4900 right now, my saddle is breaking, and my rear wheel is starting to go. So, what I'm wondering is why you decided on the Epic as the best path to go from the 4900?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts