Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first mountain bike yesterday, a trek 4500.
I have not been on a bike since I was like 16, and I am now 26.
I used to ride BMX bikes like Haro, GT, etc. I used to like jumping,going on BMX tracks,stuff like that. Well I thought I was a little less crazy than when I was 16, and I did not test ride the bike yesterday before I bought it, I had read reviews and thought that the trek 4500 was bike enough that it was much better than a wal-mart piece of crap, but not to much that if i didnt like it that much I woundnt lose too much money. Well I loved riding, I was going down pretty big gravel hills , jumping off of curbs, stuff like that, and this was the first time im on a bike since 16 years old. I think I am really going to like riding,however Now I am stuck, I think I want to spend a little more money, I hate the seat first off, and I think the rock shox judy forks are not going to make me very happy, and a brake upgrade would be nice, I would like to stay around 700.00 if i am able to get another bike, But will the bike shop let me return it and upgrade? I mean, I didnt even talk to the owner about it, I was a bit manic about the whole thing. What can I do now? would most bike shops be reasonable about this? Please let me know what I can do, and possible bike upgrades around 700.00 that i could get into, I would like to stick to trek, I dont really have a reason why, but just please let me know what you guys think.

thanks in advance!!!!

·
the bomb
531 Posts
why don't you just ask em?

couldn't hurt! worst thing they could say is no.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
pharmdee077 said:
I just bought my first mountain bike yesterday, a trek 4500.
I have not been on a bike since I was like 16, and I am now 26.
I used to ride BMX bikes like Haro, GT, etc. I used to like jumping,going on BMX tracks,stuff like that. Well I thought I was a little less crazy than when I was 16, and I did not test ride the bike yesterday before I bought it, I had read reviews and thought that the trek 4500 was bike enough that it was much better than a wal-mart piece of crap, but not to much that if i didnt like it that much I woundnt lose too much money. Well I loved riding, I was going down pretty big gravel hills , jumping off of curbs, stuff like that, and this was the first time im on a bike since 16 years old. I think I am really going to like riding,however Now I am stuck, I think I want to spend a little more money, I hate the seat first off, and I think the rock shox judy forks are not going to make me very happy, and a brake upgrade would be nice, I would like to stay around 700.00 if i am able to get another bike, But will the bike shop let me return it and upgrade? I mean, I didnt even talk to the owner about it, I was a bit manic about the whole thing. What can I do now? would most bike shops be reasonable about this? Please let me know what I can do, and possible bike upgrades around 700.00 that i could get into, I would like to stick to trek, I dont really have a reason why, but just please let me know what you guys think.

thanks in advance!!!!

You would be nuts to spend $700 in upgrades to a Trek 4500. If you buy new brakes,a fork and seat, you will still have very heavy/crappy wheels, cheap shifters and heavy cockpit items. Sell what you have, add another $700 and buy a two year old Specialized FSR or Trek Fuel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Now hold on a minute!

You bought a bike and you've decided you like riding so you already want a better bike after one day. That sounds great but it is very likely that you haven't been riding enough to know just what you want. Keep riding the bike you have and ride with groups. After a while you'll have a much better idea of the ideal bike for you.

If you're into riding instead of being into bikes, you'll be much better off to buy just one more bike. Your last bike. Take your time and save up for it. In the mean time you can be having a great time on a good bike that didn't cost a fortune.

If you are into fancy bikes more than being into rising skills, it still pays to wait. The only bikes that really get second looks are over $2000 or they are trashmo homemade frankenbikes. Ocassionally I get a secong look when I take my beach cruiser with BMX bars or my SS road bike on the trails.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Give it to your wife/ girlfriend

That's what I did to my first hardtail when I got it at 34 year old and not sure I would keep riding.But boys! those childhood riding memory just got me right into it. Upgraded to a GF Sugar after two years, but I still love my 400-dollar Shiwinn Mesa GSX, and those years that I spent with hardtail make me a better rider. My suggestion, if you will loss 1/3 of the initial cost to sell it, might as well keep it and enjoy as much then find a girlfriend to give to.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Supergo let my friend return his bike for another one... granted it was hardly used even if it was over 30 days... they just charged him $10 to clean it up... but its strictly a case by case basis... good luck to you. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fatfrank

I agree with Fatfrank. You can't just buy a bike, ride it a day or two and decide ... it sucks. Not after being off a bike so long! Give it a chance, ride it into the ground, then ... later choose a bike that is specific to your riding style.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ride what ya got!

I say keep riding what ya have. These days people think you have to have the best of everything or ya can't have fun, especially those full-color-glossy magazines. But in fact it shows that you really don't know what you want when you talk about upgrading brakes and the judy. A while back judy's were bomber forks to have. People loved riding them back then, and they still have those good qualities today.

Also, your bike probabley came with v-brakes, and ANY v-brake is light years ahead of what people used to ride and love. Switching v brakes won't make too much of a difference. I can understand wanting to change seats. Your wheels should probabley be another one of the things you'll want to upgrade, but I suggest you upgrade those when you bust up your old ones from too much ridin.

If I were you, I would make sure the bike was set up correctly for my body (stem length, seat position, good, comfortable seat (try WTB, they make great seats)), and then I would ride the piss out of it, replacing some things that break, and learning how to work on bikes on the way. Oh, and by the way that frame is fine, and worth upgrading. I have the lowest end cannondale frame with a real nice set of parts on it and it rocks, just a little heavier than their other models

After a good while of learning on this hardtail, I would buy a fs bike, and keep both. Fs bikes are a pain to keep up, especially for a newbie. That way when you are havin the fs fixed, you can ride your trusty ol'hardtail, and not lose any riding time. -t

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
855 Posts
pfunk said:
couldn't hurt! worst thing they could say is no.
The bike's only a day old (two days old by now), it's not like you've warped the wheels and snapped the frame.
My LBS has a 14 day satisfaction deal, don't like the bike, return the bike unbroken within 14 days of purchase no problems mate.

Since you were thinking of spending an extra $700 for upgrades, here's the deal: it's all better to spend out front. Bike manufacturerers get components on the cheap and they pass on the savings to you, if a small detail is no to your liking, upgrading one item is better than a fork, shock, shifter, derailleurs and wheels upgrade.

The mechanics of the bike can have comprimise, but contact points like your saddle are an absolute zero tolerance, if you don't feel comfortable riding, you won't like riding at all no matter how good the bike charges through the trails.

·
ceteris paribus
593 Posts
Damn boy, you seriously got a case of upgradeitis. If the guys at the shop take the bike, then give it back and add the $700 you where planning to spend in the upgrades to get something like an Cdale F800, trek 8000, a Specialized Stumpjumper comp disc, or anything around that neighboardhood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts