Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change out the springs in my 2008 RockShox Recon U-Turn. I have the other spring already, I just don't know what to do now.....anybody done this before? I've heard it's simple, but I would like to actually hear how to swap it before I destroy it

Thanks!

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
RS site should have step by step instructions.
If it's same as Pike, you need to remove the U-Turn knob (careful, the spring loaded bearings may pop out) then unscrew the spring kit (you will need a large socket, forget the size).
Coat the new spring with grease, and screw it in and torque it, replace the U-turn know and done.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
forgot about the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork leg!
After you remove the bottom bolt and it's still not coming out, screw in the bottom bolt a little bit and tap the bottom with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Strafer said:
forgot about the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork leg!
After you remove the bottom bolt and it's still not coming out, screw in the bottom bolt a little bit and tap the bottom with a rubber mallet.
Word of advice about that - make sure the forks are horizontal or you'll lose all your semibath oil!

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
Hope you don't mind a related question. I'm about to replace the spring on my Tora 318 U-Turn. I know I need to lube the spring but don't know what type of grease is best. Even RS doesn't say on their website. What's the best type of grease for the spring and how much should I apply? THx.

JOewens--I doubt your top adjuster dial will work without the springs/bearings...pony up.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
JOwens14 said:
ok, here's an update...

I was able to get the spring out and replace. However, I some detent springs and bearing balls. Will the fork operate w/o them or do I need to nut up and spend the 15 bucks on a new set from SRAM?
It will work without the detent springs and bearings, you just won't have the clicks with each turn of the knob.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
Starkonian said:
Hope you don't mind a related question. I'm about to replace the spring on my Tora 318 U-Turn. I know I need to lube the spring but don't know what type of grease is best. Even RS doesn't say on their website. What's the best type of grease for the spring and how much should I apply? THx.
Dunno what the best would be, but I used the greenish Park Tool's grease.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.