Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a new Rocky Mountain Element70. Was planning on hitting the trail tomorow. I was reading the manual and it says don't even try to ride a bike if there is not enough clearance when standing over the frame. I think they may have fit me poorly at the bike shop as it had to be special ordered, and i don't want to own a wrong size bike. the bike is a size 18. I'm a male...between 5'9" and 5'10" and only seem to have an inch, maybe 2 clearance standing over the top tube. we had tried a 16.5 and it seemed small and there is no in between size. I'm an XC guy who bikes about 3X a week. The bike feels fine riding on the street but my concern is putting trail wear on a bike i shouldn't be riding. Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
eh my khs xc504 claimed standover height that was much greater than it actually is -- i have 1 - 2 inches of clearance. definitely not a lot for mountain biking, but i wouldn't worry about it if i were you. it's the price i pay for wanting a larger frame that i'm more comfortable on. i've only knocked my nuts on the top tube once and that was when i stalled out on an extremely steep climb, so the part of the top tube i collided with was right up front; it would have happened on any bike.

i have the same problem as you, btw. i'm right in between a medium and large size. i just feel a lot more comfortable on the large especially after longer distances. i'm 5'9" to 5'10" tall as well.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
The 18 sounds right.

Scoredog said:
just bought a new Rocky Mountain Element70. Was planning on hitting the trail tomorow. I was reading the manual and it says don't even try to ride a bike if there is not enough clearance when standing over the frame. I think they may have fit me poorly at the bike shop as it had to be special ordered, and i don't want to own a wrong size bike. the bike is a size 18. I'm a male...between 5'9" and 5'10" and only seem to have an inch, maybe 2 clearance standing over the top tube. we had tried a 16.5 and it seemed small and there is no in between size. I'm an XC guy who bikes about 3X a week. The bike feels fine riding on the street but my concern is putting trail wear on a bike i shouldn't be riding. Any advise is appreciated.
Go riding. The 18 sounds right for your height. All that you need is 1". Anything more is just that. More. The 18 will have the correct top tube for a person your height.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Scoredog said:
The important measurement in bike fitting is the top tube length, as long as you have at least some stand-over clearance. How is the fore-aft fit? Are you comfortable while riding for a while?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts