Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am not the only one who has done this. I bought a used Trek 13 X-cal and thought the fit was fine. I have ridden a few miles on it and love it but am now wanting the large 19" frame. I can buy one on Clist.
Here's my question. How hard is it to switch out the frames on this bike? How many special tools? I am crazy enough to try, but is that too crazy? LBS stated $150.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Most important thing to check is the head tube length on the different frames. If there is a big enough difference and the steer tube was cut short on the old frame, the fork may not be able to be swapped over.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
How tall are you and what is your actual inseam?
There are options to give a more comfortable cockpit fit.
First on that bike would be a wider, say 720mm bar. You can get a carbon Bontrager RXL from China off ebay for $50.
Then a 20mm setback seatpost.
Last adjust your stem length, but shorter is better for handling.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a 32 inseam, but really long arms. I will start looking into the seat post and wider bar.
Sounds like me, 5'11", 32" inseam, 37" arms, and a longish torso. I tried the 19" and found the fit to be good, but chose a different bike in the end with similar dimensions. I debated this for a while wanting more standover clearance but the smaller frames felt too cramped. I contemplated getting the next smaller size and installing a 20 or 30mm longer stem to compensate for the 1" shorter top tube.

Perhaps the LBS can dig up a slightly longer stem to fit so you can test it out.

The Scott I bought had the stock stem installed inverted so it had a negative rise. Compared to the stock installation it felt better.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
OP, how tall are you?

A lot of bikes ship with really short stems...

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Try some long stems. If the bike starts nose diving off drops or under braking, it's too small. I think it's actually the position of my torso, not really my hands, that drives the frame length I'm comfortable with.

Stems are only a $15 experiment if you want them to be. And you're likely to need a couple to dial in your next bike if you decide this one just won't work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The seat post stem worked great. I am now spending a lot more time in the saddle. The bike came with two wheelsets and tires. I put the originals back on and now have a set for sale fully set up ready to go. They are more for road/dirt road/gravel. Maybe a hybrid bike set up. Wheels, tires, 10 gear, disc brakes. let me know if you are interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts